Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)

Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 1, 14, 10:53 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Whatís next

We plan to bring current Dividend Miles accounts into the AAdvantage program in 2015
(date as yet unspecified - JD). That means we will combine your award mileage balances, your Million Milerô balances, and your elite-qualifying activity from both programs. In the meantime, continue to book travel and earn miles as you normally would. We will follow up with you when we begin the process of integrating accounts, but rest assured your miles and elite status are safe as we work to combine the two programs.

It will take some time to fully integrate our loyalty programs, including everything from the systems that support them to bringing our terms and conditions in line with one another. We will be sure to keep you updated as changes occur
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 13, 14, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by geclub1 View Post
Best summation of the new reality in this thread, IMHO.
I second that! ^

Airlines right now are in the driver's seat to call the shots versus the passenger. That doesn't mean it is permanent going forward. But that is where it is as the moment.
Old Jul 13, 14, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by austin_res View Post
AA has 10-across on their 77W for over 1 year now. But UA and DL still have 9-across seating in Y on their 777s, and don't appear to have any plans to switch to 10-across. If most passengers don't care, why aren't UA and DL changing to 10-across to take advantage of more revenue potential?
What makes you think they won't? UA just got through revamping many of their 772s. Who's to say the next time they go into the shop, they won't get 10-across Y seating? Have they issued a statement that it is definitely off of the table?
Old Jul 18, 14, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, UA-Premier Silver, AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Plat.
Elite qualification-segments 2014

As AA and US continue to integrate, what are thoughts on the segment qualification disparity between DM and AA? As a CP with US I have to reach 120 segments to achieve CP status, on AA you only need 100. Do you think they will raise AA's segment requirement or lower US's? Curious if there is any thoughts or info on this issue. Cheers!
Old Jul 18, 14, 11:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
The quick and easy answer is no one knows. However I think the 120 segment for US vs 100 segment for AA requirement is a nature of their network and the type of passenger their focus on. US has always been an airline that "forces" connections by having dramatically lower fares to connect than a nonstop and artificially pushes demand on its flights with lower yields. I would also venture to guess that they dont have massive numbers of elite in their hubs.

AA on the other hand is really strong in their hubs and their focus is on putting people on nonstops. It's not often that AA has lower fares to connect, whereas I'm not sure I've not seen that on US. That means that AA's philosophy has people flying fewer segments, and thus able to leave the highest levels at fewer segments.

Try being a DFW based 100-segment EXP. It sucks. Big time. It's hard to add extra segments because bouncing off MIA, JFK, LGA, or LAX always adds more to the cost. THe only help is ORD, and that's a cluster in both the summer and winter for weather cancellations.
Old Jul 18, 14, 11:36 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAEE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, US CP (RIP)
I'd love to know the answer as well

Suspect that decision will be dependent on whether the merged program will have 3 or 4 elite levels. US defined it's system as 25,000 miles and 30 segments per level... therefore 4 elite levels top out at 100,00 miles and 120 segments.
Old Jul 18, 14, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Exp 1.3mm, HH Dia, SPG Gld, IHG Plt
I have been a segment qualifying EXP for the last 4 years and always end the year at 100-110 so what they decide on this is extremely important to me. I really don't know what percentage of EXP qualify on segments (I would suspect a small percentage) and how profitably they are (I'd say I spend $15,000+/yr on 25+ flights), but I know one of the reasons I direct my business to AA is I couldn't qualify for top status on UA/Delta. You can count me as one that is really hoping for the limit to stay at 100. But since UA is at 120 for top status and Delta is at 140(!!), I have to imagine they will choose to stick with the US limit at 120. If they do raise it to 120, I would have to reconsider my airline of choice and might look elsewhere.
Old Jul 18, 14, 11:41 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAEE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by imapilotaz View Post
The quick and easy answer is no one knows. However I think the 120 segment for US vs 100 segment for AA requirement is a nature of their network and the type of passenger their focus on. US has always been an airline that "forces" connections by having dramatically lower fares to connect than a nonstop and artificially pushes demand on its flights with lower yields. I would also venture to guess that they dont have massive numbers of elite in their hubs.

AA on the other hand is really strong in their hubs and their focus is on putting people on nonstops. It's not often that AA has lower fares to connect, whereas I'm not sure I've not seen that on US. That means that AA's philosophy has people flying fewer segments, and thus able to leave the highest levels at fewer segments.

Try being a DFW based 100-segment EXP. It sucks. Big time. It's hard to add extra segments because bouncing off MIA, JFK, LGA, or LAX always adds more to the cost. THe only help is ORD, and that's a cluster in both the summer and winter for weather cancellations.
As a PHL based US flyer, I'm not sure I agree with your assessment. I find the same situation ... booking non-stops out of PHL are usually cheaper than getting a connecting flight.

So, yes, being a hub based segment flyer can suck on any airline.
Old Jul 18, 14, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
100 segment qualification always struck me as an anomaly.

For miles qualifiers, it's double the GLD threshold to get PLT, and double PLT to get EXP.
For points qualifiers, it's double the GLD threshold to get PLT, and double PLT to get EXP.
For segment qualifiers, it's double the GLD threshold to get PLT, but just 1.66x PLT to get EXP.

I understand the reasoning that an OKC flyer may have more airline options equal to what AA can offer (i.e. one-stops) than us hub captives here in DFW do (nonstops). But if that's what drives EXP segments to be 100 instead of 120, the same logic/marketing should offer PLT at 50 segments and GLD at 25.
Old Jul 18, 14, 2:28 pm

I actually find it odd in the other direction--why is it harder at most airlines to qualify on segments? I don't know about other airlines, but at least on AA, most people qualifying on miles seem to do it easier/cheaper than those qualifying on segments.
Old Jul 18, 14, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Bttc View Post
I actually find it odd in the other direction--why is it harder at most airlines to qualify on segments? I don't know about other airlines, but at least on AA, most people qualifying on miles seem to do it easier/cheaper than those qualifying on segments.
I'd be Plat instead of Gold if I didn't live in DFW and possibly on cheaper average fares. I really think one-way trips rather than segments should be used for qualification, but I understand the logic in doing it by segments given that those in non-hubs have more options.
Old Jul 18, 14, 11:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by imapilotaz View Post
A good number of connecting passengers will hit 100k before they hit 120 segments. I think the more likely explanation for the high segment requirements is how much of US' business has historically been short non stops in the Northeast, on routes like the BOS/LGA/DCA shuttle. Those services have a lot of weekly commuters.

Not sure why you'd expect low numbers of elites at PHL/CLT/DCA given the domination of those hubs by US.
Old Jul 19, 14, 7:05 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by dtremit View Post
A good number of connecting passengers will hit 100k before they hit 120 segments. I think the more likely explanation for the high segment requirements is how much of US' business has historically been short non stops in the Northeast, on routes like the BOS/LGA/DCA shuttle.
That's basically the answer. AA has traditionally had a longer average segment length than US - especially if you leave out the TATL flights which US hasn't had all that long - so it takes more segments to equal the average passenger haul on US. At some point US figured out how many segments were needed to reach Silver on average (about 30) so made that the yardstick for each higher level.

For example:

1000 mi segment = 25 segments = 25K miles - 25 segments for silver
800 mi segment = 31.25 segments = 25K miles - round to 30 segments for silver

Jim

Last edited by BoeingBoy; Jul 19, 14 at 7:12 am
Old Jul 19, 14, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by dtremit View Post
I think the more likely explanation for the high segment requirements is how much of US' business has historically been short non stops in the Northeast, on routes like the BOS/LGA/DCA shuttle. Those services have a lot of weekly commuters.
Doesn't UA use the same miles/segment qualifiers as US? And DL's program requires even more segments (75,000 miles or 100 segments, and 125,000 or 140)?

Only on AA will 100 segments get you top level status...
Old Jul 19, 14, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Segments View Post
Doesn't UA use the same miles/segment qualifiers as US? And DL's program requires even more segments (75,000 miles or 100 segments, and 125,000 or 140)?

Only on AA will 100 segments get you top level status...
Same as pmUA, actually. For better or worse, AA has kept the most traditional program so far.
Old Jul 19, 14, 2:48 pm

Programs: American Airlines - EXP (5 mm), Hyatt Diamond, MLife Noir, SPG Plat, Hertz President Circle
American is more of a long haul carrier, i generally do about 150,000 miles a year but less than 100 segments. One I live in a hub city, Miami and generally fly non-stop to major markets. My only connections are to smaller markets on the West Coast like RNO and SMF, which i do via LAX.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: