Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)

Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

What’s next

We plan to bring current Dividend Miles accounts into the AAdvantage program in 2015
(date as yet unspecified - JD). That means we will combine your award mileage balances, your Million Miler™ balances, and your elite-qualifying activity from both programs. In the meantime, continue to book travel and earn miles as you normally would. We will follow up with you when we begin the process of integrating accounts, but rest assured your miles and elite status are safe as we work to combine the two programs.

It will take some time to fully integrate our loyalty programs, including everything from the systems that support them to bringing our terms and conditions in line with one another. We will be sure to keep you updated as changes occur
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 27, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List

2015 at the earliest for sure.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Chrisdg19006
Any one have an idea on when/how this will be done? I know the FAQs on the website say the programs are staying separate for now, but I think that is only for a transition period. I'm interested in getting my US and AA miles and segments merged into 1 account. Due to my Company's travel policies and trying to find the cheapest ticket, I have lots of activity with both airlines, probably would equal US Gold if combined.
I think 2015 is the "transition" year. Fly either US or AA and at the end of the year status will be determined by a combination of the two. IMHO 2016 will be the first truly integrated year.

But, like everyone else, this is just a guess. For me, it is based on the UA/CO experience.
Old May 2, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by 110pgl
I think 2015 is the "transition" year. Fly either US or AA and at the end of the year status will be determined by a combination of the two. IMHO 2016 will be the first truly integrated year.

But, like everyone else, this is just a guess. For me, it is based on the UA/CO experience.
the earliest they could at least announce the details the better... if I'm investing in status I want at least to know what I'm investing my BIS miles in
Old May 2, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by 110pgl

Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
the earliest they could at least announce the details the better... if I'm investing in status I want at least to know what I'm investing my BIS miles in
I'd guess 2015 will be the integrated year. UA/CO integrated their program in 2012, 2 years after announcing their merger. I don't expect any advanced announcement about the combined program; I think they will silently implement the details.
Old May 4, 2014, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by austin_res
I'd guess 2015 will be the integrated year. UA/CO integrated their program in 2012, 2 years after announcing their merger. I don't expect any advanced announcement about the combined program; I think they will silently implement the details.
Probably true. NOT announcing gives them the most flexibility.
Old May 4, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: UA - 1K MM, AA - EXP, DL & US - Kettle, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Gold, HiltonHonors - Gold
Lightbulb My thoughts on the new AAdvantage program

I think it will go four tier (25K/50K/75K/100K) not counting Concierge Key, even though none of the oneworld programs that I could find have a 75K level. This will be done to match UA, US and DL. The names might be silver, gold, platinum and executive platinum. (though I always thought "Chairman's Preferred" sounded pretty cool)

There will be a revenue requirement similar to DL and UA ($2500 for silver, $5000 gold, etc...).

I think that that bonus miles will be based off your level similar to what DL and UA do (silver gets 25%, gold 50%) rather than both Platinum and EXP getting a 100% bonus.

I am afraid that SWUs might require a particular fare class when used overseas (similar to UA's mid-level W fare minimum), UA won't let you upgrade with S, T, L, K, G, N fares outside of North America. Delta wants you to buy a Y or B fare (at that point by not buy a discounted J ticket).

They might do something similar to what Delta will be doing in 2015 with the number of miles you earned based off ticket price rather than distance. The problem is that there are only so many people that pay for a premium product so you to step it up a notch.
Old May 4, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by scherzva
I think it will go four tier (25K/50K/75K/100K) not counting Concierge Key, even though none of the oneworld programs that I could find have a 75K level. This will be done to match UA, US and DL. The names might be silver, gold, platinum and executive platinum. (though I always thought "Chairman's Preferred" sounded pretty cool)

There will be a revenue requirement similar to DL and UA ($2500 for silver, $5000 gold, etc...).

I think that that bonus miles will be based off your level similar to what DL and UA do (silver gets 25%, gold 50%) rather than both Platinum and EXP getting a 100% bonus.

I am afraid that SWUs might require a particular fare class when used overseas (similar to UA's mid-level W fare minimum), UA won't let you upgrade with S, T, L, K, G, N fares outside of North America. Delta wants you to buy a Y or B fare (at that point by not buy a discounted J ticket).

They might do something similar to what Delta will be doing in 2015 with the number of miles you earned based off ticket price rather than distance. The problem is that there are only so many people that pay for a premium product so you to step it up a notch.
While I do understand the concern for current US 75k flyers making the transition to the AA program, I'm not at all convinced that competitive pressures from other airlines are a reason to increase the number of elite tiers. As a long time frequent flyer myself, the three major tiers that existed for decades at AA and the others seemed to work pretty well, providing a clear separation in travel groups and benefits. In the course of the recent merger, UA moved from three to five groups (GS used to be part of 1K for most purposes, just as CK is kind of an EXP+), which added quite a bit of complexity and felt like a demotion to everyone below GS.

With regard to revenue requirements, I'm somewhat skeptical about DL's experiment (and UA's clumsy attempt to copy it). AA would do well to take a couple of years to see if DL is really gaining any comparative advantage before going down this path. Even then, there are other approaches they can use, such as simply tweaking EQP earning rates and/or the elite qualification levels that might achieve a comparable effect with less pain.
Old May 4, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond

The new Delta Global Upgrades (not systemwides) available as part or 2014 Choice Benefits for Diamond Medallion don't have nearly as restrictive fare requirements as the former system wides, although a couple rock bottom fares aren't available. However DMs can receive up to 8 global certificates (2x 4 certificates) but must travel with a companion-they can't be gifted like AA/UA.
Old May 5, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
The new Delta Global Upgrades (not systemwides) available as part or 2014 Choice Benefits for Diamond Medallion don't have nearly as restrictive fare requirements as the former system wides, although a couple rock bottom fares aren't available. However DMs can receive up to 8 global certificates (2x 4 certificates) but must travel with a companion-they can't be gifted like AA/UA.
US CP certs work the same way -- elite member and companion, can't be split or transferred.

Given AA's zeal for tracking down sales and trades of these and other certs, I wouldn't be shocked to see them go the same way. To be fair, if they're going to devalue the EXP cert benefit, that's probably the least objectionable way to do it.
Old May 6, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
No you can select 4 Global certs, you can choose 8 Regional certs instead but they are only good for domestic and cannot be used on JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA. You cannot make the same selection twice, your second selection has to be something different so there is no 2 x 4.
Old May 6, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
No you can select 4 Global certs, you can choose 8 Regional certs instead but they are only good for domestic and cannot be used on JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA. You cannot make the same selection twice, your second selection has to be something different so there is no 2 x 4.
Interesting thanks for the correction. Still a good value, the DL hard product has improved considerably.
Old May 7, 2014, 7:04 am

Location: Scarsdale, NY USA; LT PLT AA; AA 3 mm (4 mm will never happen); Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, AA is clueless why I fly
With all of the potential changes noted by Scherzva, plus other losses/degradation of airmiles value, a NEW American does not translate to a BETTER American.

Having attained lifetime PL status, it has always been hard to fly another airline, even if it meant paying more for an AA flight. But I do know that paying a little more to fly American vs. another airline is now history.

Old May 7, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
I think it will go four tier (25K/50K/75K/100K) not counting Concierge Key, even though none of the oneworld programs that I could find have a 75K level. The names might be silver, gold, platinum and executive platinum.
I seriously doubt a 75k level would be called Platinum, since anyone who has flown 2MM now has lifetime Platinum, and they would be understandably upset to find themselves "downgraded" to Gold (and the lifetime Golds to Silver).

My guess (for consistency with the past and least overall unhappiness) would be Gold, Platinum, Platinum Plus, and Executive Platinum.
Old May 14, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Speculation on '15 Program Changes/requalification requirements?

Sorry if this is a repeat, I can't find a thread related using search.

Any ideas on if/when AA/US will announce 2015 Program/Qualification changes? I'm looking at using up some SWUs on AA in Jan/Feb '15 but if they're going to go to some revenue based requirement or make other changes to the program then I'm not sure its even worth it to me to use them. It's great if I can get a head start on EXP re-qual for '15, but if I'm not going to make EXP anyways then I'll just gift or let the SWUs expire before Feb '15 and instead use my last 2/16 expiring SWUs on a big trip or two for the wife and I and give up on re-qualifying for EXP.

Anyone have any idea by when AA will announce any changes for 2015 qualification requirements?
Old May 14, 2014, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Oh probably 12/31/14

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.