Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)

Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

What’s next

We plan to bring current Dividend Miles accounts into the AAdvantage program in 2015
(date as yet unspecified - JD). That means we will combine your award mileage balances, your Million Miler™ balances, and your elite-qualifying activity from both programs. In the meantime, continue to book travel and earn miles as you normally would. We will follow up with you when we begin the process of integrating accounts, but rest assured your miles and elite status are safe as we work to combine the two programs.

It will take some time to fully integrate our loyalty programs, including everything from the systems that support them to bringing our terms and conditions in line with one another. We will be sure to keep you updated as changes occur
Print Wikipost

Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)

Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
Perhaps so, but it seems surprising that the airline that invented the FFP and directly captured FF numbers from the beginning, while others shuffled paper FF coupons, wouldn't bother to hold on to such historic data. Until its recent merger, it was still possible to get a print-out from UA of every flight and other mileage transaction in your account going back to the beginning (at no charge!).
For what reason, and at what cost? Keeping those kinds of granular records in an accessible format is hardly free. Given that AA has almost no reason to look back at that individual data, it likely doesn't make sense to keep it online, consuming expensive storage and potentially slowing down other transactions. It's probably sitting somewhere on a tape, but bringing that back could be a pretty major effort.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Perhaps so, but it seems surprising that the airline that invented the FFP and directly captured FF numbers from the beginning, while others shuffled paper FF coupons, wouldn't bother to hold on to such historic data. Until its recent merger, it was still possible to get a print-out from UA of every flight and other mileage transaction in your account going back to the beginning (at no charge!).
CO did not keep LT miles in their databases, but was able to collect it by having their vendor (EDS at that time) go back and get the data from backup tapes. This took a year for that data to be collected. And CO had to pay to get that data compiled.

Problem is that storage was expensive back in mid-80's when the FF programs started. If it were started today, all data would be collected and maintained as storage is cheap. Airlines are now tracking revenue, this was likely not feasible to do back 30 years ago.

The FF programs are only a couple of years newer then the Personal Computer.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 4:53 pm

You seem to consistently overrate AA's IT abilities. Just an observation.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:15 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
On a scale of 1-10, how watered down do you think aadvantage really is from lifetime elites from CC spend, and how will that impact incoming US elites with regard to upgrades, etc?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
On a scale of 1-10, how watered down do you think aadvantage really is from lifetime elites from CC spend, and how will that impact incoming US elites with regard to upgrades, etc?
0-2, more on the way lower side of that range. But the watering down is coming, and customers aren't to blame for that even if some may wish to try to do so.

But when you are a major cartel airline kingpin/management and want to increasingly live off fees charged to customers in a world where you plan to still have some fee waivers for elites, then what? Then every lifetime elite member is one less customer paying some of those post-purchase or at-purchase additional fees; and, also, the lifetime elite member is more likely to be a customer who is not as motivated to play the AA credit card game. Who can afford that? Who's going to want that? Not AA. In other words, AA's looking toward the longer-term revenue-enhancement picture via ancillary revenue means -- be it ancillaries purchased for or during the course of travel or be it ancillary revenue driven by AAdvantage customers acquisition of AA miles via AA partners. The result is that USdbaAA is motivated to slow the growth in AA lifetime elites and is motivated to cut the benefits of AA elites (lifetime as well) at the lower- or mid- mid-elite levels is to be expected as well possible and even probable. It doesn't help AA elites in the main that the US industry is dominated by 3 oligopolistic market cartel kingpins.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by dtremit
For what reason, and at what cost? Keeping those kinds of granular records in an accessible format is hardly free.
But what is the value side of that. A good yield management program lives and dies by the quality of it's historical data, and historical in a much longer sense than 1-2 years. That's not to say that an airline needs to keep every scrap of data on every passenger who ever flew on them, but historical booking patterns are very valuable.

Jim
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by gegarrenton
You seem to consistently overrate AA's IT abilities. Just an observation.
You're probably right. Guess I'm still thinking of the AA I flew back in the '80s, which seemed to be far ahead of everyone else in automating their systems. Ironically the main reason I moved away from AA back then was their inflexibility compared to rivals whose agents were doing a lot more things by hand.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
But what is the value side of that. A good yield management program lives and dies by the quality of it's historical data, and historical in a much longer sense than 1-2 years. That's not to say that an airline needs to keep every scrap of data on every passenger who ever flew on them, but historical booking patterns are very valuable.
True, but that's almost certainly a completely separate database from the frequent flyer information. And a very different performance question -- the FF database is being accessed by individual flyers, whereas the yield management stuff is likely to be queried by a much smaller group of users.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:44 am

You're probably right. Guess I'm still thinking of the AA I flew back in the '80s, which seemed to be far ahead of everyone else in automating their systems. Ironically the main reason I moved away from AA back then was their inflexibility compared to rivals whose agents were doing a lot more things by hand.
Yeah, the good old "But the machine says this" response from employee to customer.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Yeah, the good old "But the machine says this" response from employee to customer.
The funny thing is, back then I found that if I simply stated that the computer made a mistake, most agents were willing to believe that (except at AA, where they had too much confidence in the machine).
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
It works well for UA these days.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by dtremit
True, but that's almost certainly a completely separate database from the frequent flyer information. And a very different performance question -- the FF database is being accessed by individual flyers, whereas the yield management stuff is likely to be queried by a much smaller group of users.
These days that data is cheap to store and golden to mine. Spending a bit to pull that data from tapes and ingest it into a data warehouse is a worthwhile investment.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
Current US elites are going to have a rough time with upgrades when the two programs are merged, regardless of the impact of all those inflated lifetime AA statuses from non-BIS miles. Even the lower level US elites (silver/gold) have pretty decent upgrade percentages on many routes right now, but I just don't see that lasting when the ranks are merged.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP (15yrs) 3+MM , exDLPlt, exCOPlt, Cruiseaholic (250+)
Originally Posted by cova
Problem is that storage was expensive back in mid-80's when the FF programs started. If it were started today, all data would be collected and maintained as storage is cheap. Airlines are now tracking revenue, this was likely not feasible to do back 30 years ago.
They tracked (and exchanged revenue) by measuring how many inches thick a stack of tickets was until just a few years ago. Revenue (yield) management systems didn't track FF data at all.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 9:30 am

Timeline and logistics of merging FF programs?

Any one have an idea on when/how this will be done? I know the FAQs on the website say the programs are staying separate for now, but I think that is only for a transition period. I'm interested in getting my US and AA miles and segments merged into 1 account. Due to my Company's travel policies and trying to find the cheapest ticket, I have lots of activity with both airlines, probably would equal US Gold if combined.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.