Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)

Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

What’s next

We plan to bring current Dividend Miles accounts into the AAdvantage program in 2015
(date as yet unspecified - JD). That means we will combine your award mileage balances, your Million Miler™ balances, and your elite-qualifying activity from both programs. In the meantime, continue to book travel and earn miles as you normally would. We will follow up with you when we begin the process of integrating accounts, but rest assured your miles and elite status are safe as we work to combine the two programs.

It will take some time to fully integrate our loyalty programs, including everything from the systems that support them to bringing our terms and conditions in line with one another. We will be sure to keep you updated as changes occur
Print Wikipost

Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)

Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
Partners not in OneWorld

According to the "Loyalty Program" page of the US web site:
We plan to continue relationships with the following airlines, which means you’ll be able to earn miles on these select partners even after we’ve exited Star Alliance: Aegean, Air China, Air New Zealand, Avianca, Ethiopian Airlines, Eva, Shenzhen Airlines, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, TAM, TAP and Turkish Airways.
This is great if it lasts, but it leaves a bunch of open questions:
  • Will this include all flights for these carriers, or just flights on routes that don't compete with AA routes? I've looked at the US and AA route maps and believe there are relatively few competing non-stop routes, but there would certainly be lots of OW partner routes with one connection that compete directly.
  • Is this just a transition thing, or something that we can expect to last for some period of time?
  • It says "earn miles", but it doesn't say whether we'll be able to use miles for award travel and/or upgrades on these airlines.

Has anyone seen anything relevant to these questions?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Originally Posted by doug68
that already exists
not in the DM program

Last edited by Microwave; Dec 10, 2013 at 2:17 am Reason: corrected invalid quote syntax
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
2014 AAdvantage elite qualfication

It's hard to believe that the combined AA won't allow the full year's EQM on both AA and US to be combined for 2014 Elite qualification, even though the US web site today says just the opposite.

Also, when AmericaWest took over US there were a lot of first-year incentives to encourage HP and US elites to stay with the combined airline. I expect it will be the same this time (same management), particularly given the dissatisfaction of the UA Mileage Plus elites. I would think AA would try to attract UA flyers by offering status matching and holding off $ requirements for elite qualification until at least 2015. At least that's my hope.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by PhoenixCMC
It's hard to believe that the combined AA won't allow the full year's EQM on both AA and US to be combined for 2014 Elite qualification, even though the US web site today says just the opposite.
Effectively, we can self-combine for status in 2014. Beginning around January 7, we will be able to credit US flight to AA and AA flights to US. So pick one account or the other and credit all AA and US flights to that single account.

(Admittedly, it would easier if new AA combined the miles for status at year end, and perhaps they will. But in case they don't, this is a way to manage it)
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:38 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
I think DP already talked about AA's ow awards as a new benefit. AA will def adopt US's fees for changing/redepositing mileage awards. They will DEF reduce plat bonus from 100 to 50% - as they probably should.

10 years from now I think all US airlines mileage programs will mirror their European partners - all about fare paid.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:15 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
I am guessing (hopeful?) that you're talking about the 2014 qualification year, and the website is talking about the 2014 program year. I would be really surprised if they don't have a single FF program by 3/1/15.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:44 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Any guesses on the club liquor selection? I'm hoping the Admirals Club free well liquor selection (and premium chits for partner elites/premium cabins) sticks. And more and nicer Flagship lounges would be great. Basically, I just want everything regarding the lounges to stay like American (or, even better, make them like BA! ) except I want the Milano cookies from the US Clubs.

Also, what's going to happen at DCA? I wonder if they're going to build an airside bridge between the US/AA piers or just more frequent shuttle service... And right now they have three lounges between the two airlines at a relatively small airport; probably either the US Air club and the Admirals Club combining in the middle pier or AmEx buying out the US Air space for a Centurion Lounge. I really hope it's the latter.

Re upgrades, I'm guessing they'll go the AA route of comps for EXP/Chairman only. Maybe they'll offer more stickers to lower elites. To be fair, I think the sticker system actually works a lot better for lower elites, who stand more of a chance to get upgraded when they really want to because every elite on every flight isn't gunning for the upgrade. I'm guessing the free drink/snack in coach for non-upgraded EXP will stick, too.

What's most interesting to me is that the new American says they're keeping their relationships (click the Loyalty Program tab, then look near the bottom) with basically all of *A minus UA, AC, and the LH group. I wonder if that means A3*G will not only keep getting me into US Clubs but also ACs!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
My Guesses (Hopes)...

4 Tiers: 25K/30 segments. 50K/60 segments. 75K/90 segments. 125K/120 (or 150) segments.

EQPs go away and replaced with bonus EQMs for higher booking classes.

Top Tier is OW Emerald. 2nd and 3rd, OW Sapphire.

Make SWUs be issued after flown mileage/segment thresholds. Start it at 75K with 2 SWUs. And 2 more for each additional 25K EQMs, with no limit. Hopefully, this would make it possible/easier for them to have higher MM levels (75K and 125K equivalent).

No UDUs, only e500s. Even for the top tier (but maybe issue 10 e500s for every 10K miles flown for them). And upgrade order done by booking class within each elite level.

No spend requirement (EQDs). But perhaps only 50% EQMs/EQSs for the lowest 2 or 3 booking classes instead.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:59 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Personally, my opinions:

*PLAT will absolutely keep 100% bonus miles. Anything less would cause way too significant amount of outrage among elites at a time AA desperately needs to keep them happy. This single change would be the single most damaging.
*Spend requirement isn't happening in the short-term. An AA rep was recently asked about why a spending requirement wasn't implemented, and while not saying it will never happen, he answered they monitor their passenger's spending habits and simply see no reason for it at present.
*The combined airline will absolutely adopt AA's upgrade system. In the interim, I expect upgrades to be based on metal. AA elites will get UDU on US metal; US elites can buy stickers on AA metal.
*All those buy-up programs and similar nonsense that cheapens the US Airways brand is dead. Anybody who think one can "buy up" to EXP by writing a $4,000 check is dreaming. US Airways used this, and other similar tactics (like giving Centourion cardholders CP status, a perk that ends in March) because it could. It never had a lot of high-value fliers, and this allowed it to attract some. Now that it is merged with AA, it no longer has this problem.

Overall, I expect it to largely mirror AAdvantage, not US Airways.

Unlike other mergers, this is the first time a low cost airline that didn't really cater to non-captive business travelers is merging with a full service carrier. This makes a huge difference in how the programs are integrated. Remember, US Airways is fully, 100% adopting American Airlines' on-board product and interiors. It's not crazy to think that the new program will largely be AA's rules and system.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Fanjet
4 Tiers: 25K/30 segments. 50K/60 segments. 75K/90 segments. 125K/120 (or 150) segments.
Top Tier is OW Emerald. 2nd and 3rd, OW Sapphire.
It doesn't really affect me, but I find it extremely unlikely that, after the all consumer protection lawsuits, they go from two separate programs, both with a 100k top tier, to a combined program with a 125k top tier and take EMD with it, unless they tack on some extra benefits.

Also, anyone else notice how big a devaluation it is for US Club members to go from basically the entire *A business class lounge network to US Clubs, ACs, and QF clubs?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:25 am

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Personally, my opinions:

*PLAT will absolutely keep 100% bonus miles. Anything less would cause way too significant amount of outrage among elites at a time AA desperately needs to keep them happy. This single change would be the single most damaging.
*Spend requirement isn't happening in the short-term. An AA rep was recently asked about why a spending requirement wasn't implemented, and while not saying it will never happen, he answered they monitor their passenger's spending habits and simply see no reason for it at present.
*The combined airline will absolutely adopt AA's upgrade system. In the interim, I expect upgrades to be based on metal. AA elites will get UDU on US metal; US elites can buy stickers on AA metal.
*All those buy-up programs and similar nonsense that cheapens the US Airways brand is dead. Anybody who think one can "buy up" to EXP by writing a $4,000 check is dreaming. US Airways used this, and other similar tactics (like giving Centourion cardholders CP status, a perk that ends in March) because it could. It never had a lot of high-value fliers, and this allowed it to attract some. Now that it is merged with AA, it no longer has this problem.

Overall, I expect it to largely mirror AAdvantage, not US Airways.

Unlike other mergers, this is the first time a low cost airline that didn't really cater to non-captive business travelers is merging with a full service carrier. This makes a huge difference in how the programs are integrated. Remember, US Airways is fully, 100% adopting American Airlines' on-board product and interiors. It's not crazy to think that the new program will largely be AA's rules and system.

I disagree with you on this. They are only adopting American on board product and name because the name is more iconic and well known. American airlines as been run poorly. The CEO taking over is the US Airways CEO... so why would he not adapt his on policy that worked at US.. American policy sure did not work with Bankruptcy ect. I am a Platinum flyer on US Airways and HATE American Airlines. The tier i exist in is not even apart of American current system . I do about 85k a year.

I am hoping that the new American will just carry the American name and looks, but run with Us Airways guts..
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by zerodegre
I disagree with you on this. They are only adopting American on board product and name because the name is more iconic and well known. American airlines as been run poorly. The CEO taking over is the US Airways CEO... so why would he not adapt his on policy that worked at US.. American policy sure did not work with Bankruptcy ect.
Uh, US Airways has gone through bankruptcy twice already, and was quite possibly headed for another?

Plus who got to be CEO had less to do with performance and more with who pandered to the right parties.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
According to the "Loyalty Program" page of the US web site:
This is great if it lasts, but it leaves a bunch of open questions:
  • Will this include all flights for these carriers, or just flights on routes that don't compete with AA routes? I've looked at the US and AA route maps and believe there are relatively few competing non-stop routes, but there would certainly be lots of OW partner routes with one connection that compete directly.
  • Is this just a transition thing, or something that we can expect to last for some period of time?
  • It says "earn miles", but it doesn't say whether we'll be able to use miles for award travel and/or upgrades on these airlines.

Has anyone seen anything relevant to these questions?
As the best we can all hope to do on this at the moment is speculate, I've merged this question into the existing discussion thread related to this topic.

~Moderator
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:36 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by zerodegre
I disagree with you on this. They are only adopting American on board product and name because the name is more iconic and well known. American airlines as been run poorly. The CEO taking over is the US Airways CEO... so why would he not adapt his on policy that worked at US.. American policy sure did not work with Bankruptcy ect. I am a Platinum flyer on US Airways and HATE American Airlines. The tier i exist in is not even apart of American current system . I do about 85k a year.
US Airways has gone bankrupt not once, but twice, and essentially was going to go bankrupt a third time in a few years save for this merger (it still might, but that's for another thread).

The fact that are ignoring is that US Airways has already announced it is adopting the American Airlines product. This is official, and starts April 1st.

US Airways fliers will soon have meals in first class, a real long-haul business product and customer service. It's like going from Kia to Lexus, although that's not exactly a the best comparison, since Kia is known to provide a reliable, quality product. Despite US Airways execs in the two lead rules, make no mistake - American Airlines is the one taking over, and the new airline is largely going to resemble American Airlines and AAdvantage.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 4:45 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by Rus925

Also, what's going to happen at DCA? I wonder if they're going to build an airside bridge between the US/AA piers or just more frequent shuttle service... And right now they have three lounges between the two airlines at a relatively small airport; probably either the US Air club and the Admirals Club combining in the middle pier or AmEx buying out the US Air space for a Centurion Lounge. I really hope it's the latter. ...
Two outstanding ideas - see lots of AMEX PLTs (myself included) using it for the DCA AC

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.