Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

What’s next

We plan to bring current Dividend Miles accounts into the AAdvantage program in 2015
(date as yet unspecified - JD). That means we will combine your award mileage balances, your Million Miler™ balances, and your elite-qualifying activity from both programs. In the meantime, continue to book travel and earn miles as you normally would. We will follow up with you when we begin the process of integrating accounts, but rest assured your miles and elite status are safe as we work to combine the two programs.

It will take some time to fully integrate our loyalty programs, including everything from the systems that support them to bringing our terms and conditions in line with one another. We will be sure to keep you updated as changes occur
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Well, we'll just see as the merger rolls out, won't we? Anything else is speculation, even when it might be informed speculation.

One thing about bankruptcy is AA tried to avoid bankruptcy (probably entirely too long, the way it looks) - it might have provided quite a boost whilst HP and US were using it as a tool to restructure debt.

Originally Posted by zerodegre
I disagree with you on this. They are only adopting American on board product and name because the name is more iconic and well known. American airlines as been run poorly. The CEO taking over is the US Airways CEO... so why would he not adapt his on policy that worked at US.. American policy sure did not work with Bankruptcy ect. I am a Platinum flyer on US Airways and HATE American Airlines. The tier i exist in is not even apart of American current system . I do about 85k a year.

I am hoping that the new American will just carry the American name and looks, but run with Us Airways guts..
Old Feb 27, 2014, 5:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by Crossin Jordan
Saw on the DL forum that no such plan to go revenue-based is in the works at AA, at least for the next 3 years (and no, I don't believe everything I read..). Should AA extend status matching challenge to the DL people like me would make things even more interesting. As a Platinum Medallion with DL, my mileage earnings in 2015 will drop to roughly 60% of what they are currently. Have learned a lot in the UA and AA forums today as i begin shopping for a new airline. UA does not sound like an option as the general consensus is they will follow suit with DL in a matter of hours, not weeks or months.
If we are talking about the same post, then I have a great deal of skepticism as to the authenticity of that post. Are you talking about the guy who said he talked to an AA Sr. VP?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by Crossin Jordan
As for what AA will do, they would be fools not to take advantage of this. AA has an amazing opportunity to stand out in contrast among its competitors, something they've had difficulty in doing in recent years.
+1

Ding ding ding! Winner winner chicken dinner! NOT following DL here could become a competitive advantage for AA if they communicate it right.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: None
I did finally go to DL's site and read over the info on the new program. Found something that I had missed until now - the new miles/dollar spend is only for RDM's. Qualifying for status isn't changing, at least not now. In a sense, the change now makes more sense - reward those who spend more on their tickets with more RDMs for award travel rather than give everyone that flys the same route the same spendable miles regardless of fare paid.

Jim
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_6 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B651 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
I did finally go to DL's site and read over the info on the new program. Found something that I had missed until now - the new miles/dollar spend is only for RDM's. Qualifying for status isn't changing, at least not now. In a sense, the change now makes more sense - reward those who spend more on their tickets with more RDMs for award travel rather than give everyone that flys the same route the same spendable miles regardless of fare paid.

Jim
Agree. I wonder how many folks still haven't caught on to that important point.

Safe Travels
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:27 pm

It does make what I said about Diamonds being able to keep Diamond more easily entirely wrong.

Jim
Old Feb 27, 2014, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by SafeFlyer
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_6 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B651 Safari/9537.53)

Agree. I wonder how many folks still haven't caught on to that important point.

Safe Travels
There are still plenty of provisions to screw people out of RDMs. Next year, DL will likely screw them out of MDMs too.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 5:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Diamonds are still required to fly 125k MQM or 140 EQS and spend $12.5k; if you spend $25k on your DL credit card, the MQD amounts are waived. In perspective with current AA practices - 100k EQM, 100k EQP or 100 EQS. (Yep, you probably know - but I am including this for perspective.)

It does make what I said about Diamonds being able to keep Diamond more easily entirely wrong.

Jim
Old Feb 27, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)

Isn't the new DL program for RDM similar to how miles are awarded for many partner airlines? Your mileage rate is dependent on fare bucket... Except it is more upfront since most pax don't look at fare bucket until less miles post than anticipated.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Diamonds are still required to fly 125k MQM or 140 EQS and spend $12.5k; if you spend $25k on your DL credit card, the MQD amounts are waived. In perspective with current AA practices - 100k EQM, 100k EQP or 100 EQS. (Yep, you probably know - but I am including this for perspective.)
Now I realize that the MQM/EQS haven't changed for getting/keeping status. I had either missed or skipped over that when reading the PDF someone posted so I made some posts based on the higher the status the easier it was to accrue EQM's, which were wrong because of my mistake.

Jim
Old Feb 28, 2014, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Segments
Isn't the new DL program for RDM similar to how miles are awarded for many partner airlines? Your mileage rate is dependent on fare bucket... Except it is more upfront since most pax don't look at fare bucket until less miles post than anticipated.
It's usually a percentage of the total amount of miles flown. Miles are still tied to the distance rather than the amount spent on the fare.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:21 am

I hope AA goes revenue based. This is the most logical.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:44 am

Just wait for status to be revenue based - that's when the real complaints will start. With today's CASM figure on at least 15 cents/mile for bottom status and at least 35 cents/mile for top status.

Jim
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by gsupstate
+1Ding ding ding! Winner winner chicken dinner! NOT following DL here could become a competitive advantage for AA if they communicate it right.
Does that competitive advantage include paying $500-1000 in BA scamcharges to fly TATL?

US is famously lousy at providing award inventory on their own metal. AA isn't exactly generous TATL either these days. It's not all beer and skittles in AA-land when it comes to award inventory/generosity, either- the mileage is less but often the cash cost out of pocket for an award is significantly more.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Just wait for status to be revenue based - that's when the real complaints will start. With today's CASM figure on at least 15 cents/mile for bottom status and at least 35 cents/mile for top status.
People paying 35cpm typically don't care about status -- they've already purchased all the benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.