Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA / US Fleet & Aircraft Changes 2015 on (Discussion and Speculation)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2013, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Please add summary information and important links to this wikipost

Originally Posted by lowfareair
I'm interested in 2015 counts, especially on the regional side - I heard that ZW's contract is up this year and not sure what will happen there. 70 CR2s that AA can easily get rid of (I'm fairly sure they are ZW birds, not US planes sub-leased to ZW), but with fuel this low and no other customers for AirWis, ZW could offer a sweetheart deal to keep operating.

Does anyone know what planes Eagle is supposed to get this year?
Here are the 2015 fleet count projections, posted by TWA880:
For related threads on officially announced fleet changes, see:

AA Orders 60 Embraer 175 / E-175 + 30 Bombardier CRJ900

This thread deals with additions, withdrawals and changes to the combined AA and US fleet. please understand various sources may vary in their numbers and the airline may accelerate or slow aircraft disposition, or even change plans if operating conditions or expected deliveries change.

From the Dallas Morning News, 30 Jan 2015 <link>

American Airlines and US Airways to finish 2015 with 30 fewer aircraft, by Terry Maxon:

"Here are the year-end 2014 numbers compared to the projected numbers for the end of 2015:

Code:
Fleet	        2015	2014	Change	%

Airbus A319	125	118	7	5.9%
Airbus A320	55	64	-9	-14.1%
Airbus A321	174	139	35	25.2%
Airbus A330-200	15	15	0	0%
Airbus A330-300	9	9	0	0%
Boeing 737-800	264	246	18	7.3%
Boeing 757	69	106	-37	-34.9%
Boeing 767-200	0	6	-6	-100%
Boeing 767-300	49	58	-9	-15.5%
Boeing 777-200	47	47	0	0%
Boeing 777-300	18	16	2	12.5%
Boeing 787-8	12	0	12	∞
Embraer E190	20	20	0	0%
MD-80	        96	139	-43	-30.9%
Total	        953     983	-30	-3.1%
and "... the 737-800 is going from 150 seats to 160 seats. The 777-200 is going from 247 seats to 260 and eventually to 289."

Link to Historical DMN article on AAG fleet changes in 2014

NOTE: Being customer codes can reveal information as well: AA is 23 (ergo the "777-223ER") and US is B7.

AA B767-223ER went to "the boneyard" at ROW 16 Feb 2015. (vorellanaj)

Other aircraft fleet and movements information sources:

Link to AIRFLEETS.NET

Link to AirplaneSpotter.net AA fleet details and history

Link to AirplaneSpotters.net US fleet and history

Link to FlightRadar24 AA fleet listing and flight routing

Link to FlightRadar24 US fleet listing and flight routing

Link to American Airlines fleet statistics

Link to US Airways fleet composition (no stats)

Link to FlightAware flight tracking

Link to FlightStats

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AA777
If the new AA takes those A330s and doesn't negotiate out of them it will just highlight the ridiculous decision to have Parker and Kirby at the helm......so I expect fully for them to take the A330s and continue to just make maintenance and everything else a growing cost.
I think it was discussed when AA split its order that the Boeing and Airbus fleets will each be so large that there isn't a loss of efficiency or extra costs.

And historically AA has never had the most rationale of fleets - at one point I think they had 747SP, MD11, 767, 757, 727s, MD80s and F100s - so Boeing, McDonald Douglas and Fokker.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Originally Posted by austin_res
Remember the DoJ complaint document quoted Parker calling MCE a "stupid thing that will go away with consolidation". If sticks to his word, mechanics will be busy...adding a row of seats on every AA plane and eliminating MCE.
Didn't the recent announcement for the 90 plus E175 and CRJ-900 state that there would be First, MCE and Economy?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by CLTRob
Didn't the recent announcement for the 90 plus E175 and CRJ-900 state that there would be First, MCE and Economy?
Yes and the majority are slated for US regional where they'll replace those aging CRJ200s. Since both UA and DL now have enhanced pitch economy seating, it's pretty certain MCE will remain and added to the US fleet. AA realized it made a mistake by removing MRTC (more room through coach), at least from a few rows in the front.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Yes. But haters have to hate. Or, it could be a trap. DP could put MCE and F on these planes, then when we've all gotten accustomed to them, yank it out from under us!
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Posts about the new livery have been removed. Members are encouraged to follow and participate in the discussion in the dedicated thread here.

~Moderator
Old Dec 17, 2013, 5:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Advanatge
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I think it was discussed when AA split its order that the Boeing and Airbus fleets will each be so large that there isn't a loss of efficiency or extra costs.

And historically AA has never had the most rationale of fleets - at one point I think they had 747SP, MD11, 767, 757, 727s, MD80s and F100s - so Boeing, McDonald Douglas and Fokker.
Your right, HISTORICALLY, they have not and that was the point of the huge aircraft order and then BK. It was supposed to streamline their operations and choose a different business model in which you create a product that no one else has.

As has been highlighted COUNTLESS threads, if your service offering is the same, and you are large and bloated you are simply putting your entire company on the back of the ability to offer better prices. That creates ZERO barrier to entry, and overall puts AA on the same path that employees and many pax have been complaining about for the last decade.

So, when I see an airline make the decision to take delivery of a plane designed 15+ years ago over it's more efficient, safer alternatives I have to question the decision making process. Actually, any investment banker or PE group saddled with the responsibility to choosing a management team for a company would unless, however, the choosing of the team had nothing to do with te intended success of the company because that was not the concern of the IB / PE group.

I will reserve total judgement until I see the final decisions. But the A330 orders could easily be replaced by a few more 7772, 77w or 787 orders. We are not talking THAT many on order for US.

Cheers,
AA777
Old Dec 17, 2013, 5:35 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Yes. But haters have to hate. Or, it could be a trap. DP could put MCE and F on these planes, then when we've all gotten accustomed to them, yank it out from under us!
I recently flew 2 back to back trips from CLT to Europe (CDG, LHR) in US economy and will never do that again. If MCE is yanked, it is only a 37 minute flight to the worlds largest hub, ATL, where Delta offers Economy Comfort. Have flown Delta's Economy Comfort and really enjoyed it. Not knowing what the new AA will do regarding MCE, I booked upcoming trips to FRA and AMS on Delta's Economy Comfort!
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
So, when I see an airline make the decision to take delivery of a plane designed 15+ years ago over it's more efficient, safer alternatives I have to question the decision making process. Actually, any investment banker or PE group saddled with the responsibility to choosing a management team for a company would unless, however, the choosing of the team had nothing to do with te intended success of the company because that was not the concern of the IB / PE group.

I will reserve total judgement until I see the final decisions. But the A330 orders could easily be replaced by a few more 7772, 77w or 787 orders. We are not talking THAT many on order for US.
I don't particularly love the A330s, but from a fleet planning perspective, I think it's likely too late to get an alternative aircraft in for 2014. If it's a decision between potentially breaking their schedule, not retiring aircraft, or canceling routes or taking delivery of a few more units of an aircraft they already are a substantial operator of, I think the choice is fairly clear. Not taking those last few A330s doesn't relieve them of the eventual burden to replace them down the road, but it does let them sunset the far more problematic 762s, and get some additional capacity they really need for their long haul service.

It's pretty unlikely they could walk from their Airbus obligation at this late date without some penalties -- those A330s are likely far down the manufacturing process. Perhaps a year ago you could have turned them into more A321 orders penalty free, but today? It isn't like Airbus has a huge order book for the A330s and some of those units are already problematic to place (I'm looking at you, Kingfisher).

The A330 is no worse than the 772s, which they're going to refit and operate for another 10+ years no doubt. To argue that this is somehow a reason to distrust the management team is just being mean. Best choice given the circumstances, obviously. If they could magically wave a wand and trade them in for a similar number of 788s... but that ain't reality as we know it, is it?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
I recently flew 2 back to back trips from CLT to Europe (CDG, LHR) in US economy and will never do that again. If MCE is yanked, it is only a 37 minute flight to the worlds largest hub, ATL, where Delta offers Economy Comfort. Have flown Delta's Economy Comfort and really enjoyed it. Not knowing what the new AA will do regarding MCE, I booked upcoming trips to FRA and AMS on Delta's Economy Comfort!
Jeff wasn't a fan of E+ until he saw the numbers. I bet AA has the same number he does.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
Why? I've flown US TATL in economy, and it was honestly no different from similar flights I've done on UA, LH, etc in economy.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:00 am

It was announced a long time ago (can't see why after the money they spent on design they wouldn't) that F would be pulled from the 772s and business would be replaced with a J seat rumored to be a but different from the 77w seat because of the need to have a a slightly better product since there will be no F. Of course we are lowly slugs compared to the all mighty and brilliant Doug and Scott show, so what did AA know, probably best to have 10 business class seats from 1993 and just fill the crap out of the rest of the plane with regular economy seats and set the record for most pax crammed into a 772 with some vending machines in the front and back where the galleys were that pax can go up and deposit a few bucks in for prepackaged sandwiches and snacks and drinks.

Cheers,
AA777
You know that US Airways has had a better business class seat on most of it's widebodies than AA for the past few years, right? I think by the "best business class seat from 1993" you're talking about the current AA angled-flat seat?

Your right, HISTORICALLY, they have not and that was the point of the huge aircraft order and then BK. It was supposed to streamline their operations and choose a different business model in which you create a product that no one else has.

As has been highlighted COUNTLESS threads, if your service offering is the same, and you are large and bloated you are simply putting your entire company on the back of the ability to offer better prices. That creates ZERO barrier to entry, and overall puts AA on the same path that employees and many pax have been complaining about for the last decade.

Cheers,
AA777
First, you know that the 777 was designed 20+ years ago, and has been flying in commercial service for 18 years, right?

Beyond that, I still haven't seen you counter the argument that a mixed fleet is a negative thing. As elitetraveler said, the idea behind the old AA's split Airbus/Boeing order was that each fleet would be so large that there's no loss of efficiency or introduction of extra cost. Delta has definitely proved this works, so why not at AA?

It sounds like you just have some blind bias towards Boeing that impedes any sort of rational analysis of the situation.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1k; MR Platinum; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DCdeacon
Why? I've flown US TATL in economy, and it was honestly no different from similar flights I've done on UA, LH, etc in economy.
CLTRob is referring to E+/Main Cabin Extra/Economy Comfort vs. being seated in standard economy.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1k; MR Platinum; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DCdeacon
First, you know that the 777 was designed 20+ years ago, and has been flying in commercial service for 18 years, right?

Beyond that, I still haven't seen you counter the argument that a mixed fleet is a negative thing. As elitetraveler said, the idea behind the old AA's split Airbus/Boeing order was that each fleet would be so large that there's no loss of efficiency or introduction of extra cost. Delta has definitely proved this works, so why not at AA?

It sounds like you just have some blind bias towards Boeing that impedes any sort of rational analysis of the situation.
I tend to agree with you.

So I'm not sure if this is an issue, but it seems like a potential flag to me..... -->Age distribution of the a330 fleet. For a very large fleet of an aircraft type it would seem to me that it wouldn't be an issue, but the New AA is going to have a small-ish fleet of a330s when measured against the wide age distribution of those frames. When retirements come, won't the costs/frame on property increase towards the end of the end of the a330s life in the fleet when compared to a much larger fleet of a type.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by jmr50
The A330 is no worse than the 772s, which they're going to refit and operate for another 10+ years no doubt.
Boeing claim that, for a typical 3000nm mission, The A330-300 block fuel per seat is 3% higher than the 777-200ER, and its cash operating costs per seat are 6% higher. They also claim that the relative Cash Operating Cost (COC) per seat-km of a 777-200ER is 11% and 13% lower than those of an A330-200 on 3,000 and 6,000 nm missions. You can read all of their 77E-vs-332/333 claims here. It is definitely worth noting that these are Boeing's numbers, so take them how you will. That said, with substantially less range and cargo capacity, I think it's fair to say the A330 is at a disadvantage to the 777-200ER.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Microwave
Boeing claim that, for a typical 3000nm mission, The A330-300 block fuel per seat is 3% higher than the 777-200ER, and its cash operating costs per seat are 6% higher. They also claim that the relative Cash Operating Cost (COC) per seat-km of a 777-200ER is 11% and 13% lower than those of an A330-200 on 3,000 and 6,000 nm missions. You can read all of their 77E-vs-332/333 claims here. It is definitely worth noting that these are Boeing's numbers, so take them how you will. That said, with substantially less range and cargo capacity, I think it's fair to say the A330 is at a disadvantage to the 777-200ER.
Is it possible that while the A330 may be marginally more expensive to operate, it's a cheaper aircraft to own/lease, therefore offsetting the higher operating costs? Sort of the same reason that DL had for acquiring those 717's from Airtran/Southwest...yeah, they guzzle more gas, but they acquired each airframe for millions less than any alternative, so dollars and cents-wise, it works out.

This is total speculation, as I have no idea what the pricetag is on a 777 vs. an A330, but just a thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.