Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA / US Fleet & Aircraft Changes 2015 on (Discussion and Speculation)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2013, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Please add summary information and important links to this wikipost

Originally Posted by lowfareair
I'm interested in 2015 counts, especially on the regional side - I heard that ZW's contract is up this year and not sure what will happen there. 70 CR2s that AA can easily get rid of (I'm fairly sure they are ZW birds, not US planes sub-leased to ZW), but with fuel this low and no other customers for AirWis, ZW could offer a sweetheart deal to keep operating.

Does anyone know what planes Eagle is supposed to get this year?
Here are the 2015 fleet count projections, posted by TWA880:
For related threads on officially announced fleet changes, see:

AA Orders 60 Embraer 175 / E-175 + 30 Bombardier CRJ900

This thread deals with additions, withdrawals and changes to the combined AA and US fleet. please understand various sources may vary in their numbers and the airline may accelerate or slow aircraft disposition, or even change plans if operating conditions or expected deliveries change.

From the Dallas Morning News, 30 Jan 2015 <link>

American Airlines and US Airways to finish 2015 with 30 fewer aircraft, by Terry Maxon:

"Here are the year-end 2014 numbers compared to the projected numbers for the end of 2015:

Code:
Fleet	        2015	2014	Change	%

Airbus A319	125	118	7	5.9%
Airbus A320	55	64	-9	-14.1%
Airbus A321	174	139	35	25.2%
Airbus A330-200	15	15	0	0%
Airbus A330-300	9	9	0	0%
Boeing 737-800	264	246	18	7.3%
Boeing 757	69	106	-37	-34.9%
Boeing 767-200	0	6	-6	-100%
Boeing 767-300	49	58	-9	-15.5%
Boeing 777-200	47	47	0	0%
Boeing 777-300	18	16	2	12.5%
Boeing 787-8	12	0	12	∞
Embraer E190	20	20	0	0%
MD-80	        96	139	-43	-30.9%
Total	        953     983	-30	-3.1%
and "... the 737-800 is going from 150 seats to 160 seats. The 777-200 is going from 247 seats to 260 and eventually to 289."

Link to Historical DMN article on AAG fleet changes in 2014

NOTE: Being customer codes can reveal information as well: AA is 23 (ergo the "777-223ER") and US is B7.

AA B767-223ER went to "the boneyard" at ROW 16 Feb 2015. (vorellanaj)

Other aircraft fleet and movements information sources:

Link to AIRFLEETS.NET

Link to AirplaneSpotter.net AA fleet details and history

Link to AirplaneSpotters.net US fleet and history

Link to FlightRadar24 AA fleet listing and flight routing

Link to FlightRadar24 US fleet listing and flight routing

Link to American Airlines fleet statistics

Link to US Airways fleet composition (no stats)

Link to FlightAware flight tracking

Link to FlightStats

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
What route is that currently on? I've never been on a DC-9, might need to try and do it
It's only on a handful of routes now -- short turns out of ATL and DTW mostly, including DTW-ORD and DTW-MKE. They are apparently now doing a special trip on 1/6 -- DL1965 DTW-MSP and DL2014 MSP-ATL -- with flight numbers commemorating the type's first and last years with DL.

That said, these are ex-NW planes that were heavily refurbished in the '90s with interiors resembling the 717.

More here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...w-msp-atl.html
Old Dec 11, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1k; MR Platinum; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Seems an odd choice, replacing aircraft with about 200 seats with ones that have 250-290 seats. From a capacity standpoint, wouldn't the 388 be a better substitute?

And another question is whether the combined airline will need all of the aircraft on order, or if there will be some consolidation there too?
They commented on this back in the summer (? i think?) about this. They actually need more.

788/9 - It was commented on by mgmt that they expected to likely wind up exercising the options on the books right now (58 options + 42 Confirmed with the 12x788 / 20x789 split)

RJs - larger at the 76pax cap

As for the single aisle a32x/b738 (CEO/NEO and NG/MAX) - not sure about that.

*Edit: I was just doing some googling - does anyone happen to remember where the 787 order comment was made? I don't remember where exactly it was from. I think it was in an interview or mgmt presentation.

Last edited by WhatsInYourBackpack; Dec 11, 2013 at 2:21 pm
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Hopefully the new livery redoes that spastic tail design.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:16 am

Currently, CLT has a fair number of mainline planes. Does anyone else foresee these shifting to ORD?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1k; MR Platinum; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WhatsInYourBackpack
RJs - larger at the 76pax cap
so.... I'd like to take credit for calling an audible, but I definitely didn't see the order coming as quickly as it did... kind of fell into that one.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CApreppie
Hopefully the new livery redoes that spastic tail design.
I've said it before (elsewhere) and I'll say it again - I really really hope that DP has more sense than to spend money on re-doing the livery yet again. I'd far rather see the funds go to improving services and shoring up the Frequent Flyer program (as opposed to gutting it) than being wasted on a coat of paint to the outside of a metal tube that I'm sitting in (so I can't even see the paint job!). Re-doing the livery would be nothing short of a truly moronic waste of money IMO.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Just to be on the record (not that this mean anything at all) but I love the new tail. Love it.

That said, my gut tells me that something about the livery is going to change. I just hope it isn't an UA/CO style attempt to merge the two pre-merger airline liveries into one new livery because that resulted in a poor new UA livery.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by trvlr70
Currently, CLT has a fair number of mainline planes. Does anyone else foresee these shifting to ORD?
ORD has been shifting to a higher and higher percentage of Eagle flights for several years now. Eagle (and Connection) has crept out of its G concourse confines into portions of H and L as a result. And the Republic E-175s, which started coming on-line this year, are being deployed out of ORD so far. I expect the 76-seat planes are what we see more of out of ORD going forward.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Stripy
Re-doing the livery would be nothing short of a truly moronic waste of money IMO.
Every merger since the dawn of time has redone the livery paintjob. Why would you expect anything different?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
Because not every merger since the dawn of time has seen the surviving brand go through a rebrand just before the merger.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
When it comes to the int'l fleet, I am wondering whether we'll see consolidation of different types at overseas stations. The 330s are a prime example; not sure whether it makes more sense to keep them consolidated here at PHL and CLT or consolidate them at int'l destinations (the way LHR used to be all 777 or CDG all 763). I could see this being a good way to offer true lie-flats in J to some of the more competitive destinations while awaiting the 763/772 conversions.
I think using the 330s in this way would make a lot of sense, though from the perspective of timeline I don't know how feasible that is. Until labour groups are consolidated, US crews will have to run US planes, and there's a limit to the number of US bases. This will restrict (though not completely prevent) the combined airline's ability to run 330s out of legacy AA bases in the short term. After all, AA should be well on their way to completing their flat J conversions by this time next year, and I'd be very surprised if AA were flying under a single certificate with AA and US pilots integrated by that time.

At the same time, I could see the US 762s being repurposed for short(er)-range, cargo-heavy routes where AA currently uses 763s, the passenger capacity of which isn't justified on the route.
I personally thing we'll see both airlines' 762s relegated to desert duty very soon... I just don't think there will be a need for fuel thirsty dinosaurs in an airline with the better half of a thousand mainline aircraft in the estate, and hundreds more on order. I think the wager will be whether AA's or US's 762s find the desert first.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Because not every merger since the dawn of time has seen the surviving brand go through a rebrand just before the merger.
So you'd also say the rebrand was a truly moronic waste of money too, then?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by bkafrick
Every merger since the dawn of time has redone the livery paintjob. Why would you expect anything different?
I don't recall DL going through a livery change after the NW merger. I think this had to do with the fact that, of the four major US airline mergers of the last decade, the DL/NW merger was the only one where the surviving brand was also the acquirer. With US/HP and now AA/US, the smaller airline was actually the acquirer, and with CO/UA the larger airline survived, but it was considered a merger of equals.

The AA rebrand had more to do with BK than a merger (though the two were related).
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I don't recall DL going through a livery change after the NW merger. I think this had to do with the fact that, of the four major US airline mergers of the last decade, the DL/NW merger was the only one where the surviving brand was also the acquirer.
DL's livery was refreshed in 2007 (it wasn't a continental shift, as the delta widget was still present), and they merged with NW in 2008, keeping the newly refreshed DL livery.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by Microwave
I think using the 330s in this way would make a lot of sense, though from the perspective of timeline I don't know how feasible that is. Until labour groups are consolidated, US crews will have to run US planes, and there's a limit to the number of US bases. This will restrict (though not completely prevent) the combined airline's ability to run 330s out of legacy AA bases in the short term. After all, AA should be well on their way to completing their flat J conversions by this time next year, and I'd be very surprised if AA were flying under a single certificate with AA and US pilots integrated by that time.

I personally thing we'll see both airlines' 762s relegated to desert duty very soon... I just don't think there will be a need for fuel thirsty dinosaurs in an airline with the better half of a thousand mainline aircraft in the estate, and hundreds more on order. I think the wager will be whether AA's or US's 762s find the desert first.
Yes, you're probably right about timeframe for moving the 330s around to legacy AA bases, given all the sorting out that must happen. However eventually it might add some minimal efficiencies if those were consolidated in Europe, simply for when it comes to acquiring spare parts for unscheduled maintenance.

As for the 762s I think you're also right about it being a race to the bottom. Perhaps it'll depend on maintenance records and whose are in better shape? However, unlike mingling the 763s, 777s and 330s, the two airlines' 762s cannot be swapped for one another, though I suppose the US 762s could be repurposed for ex-MIA transcon duty if they aren't retired before the two carriers operate under a single certificate...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.