Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club / USAirways Club Merger Developments, Reciprocal Access [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AA Admirals Club and US Airways Club members currently have reciprocal Club access.

Please note: CitiBank's AAdvantage World Executive Card provides full Admirals Club membership, not "Admirals Club access". Also note here is no actual one month pass, only the one month membership, which includes full Admirals Club privileges; though not so with the 24 hour pass, which provides Club access to one person).

US Airways and American Airlines members have full oneworld lounge access privileges, as US is now listed as a oneworld affiliate airline under American Airlines' oneworld membership.

Please add changes as they occur. Such as:

DCA / Washington Reagan: June 5, 2014, the US Airways Club located on the Center Pier at Washington Reagan National Airport (DCA) will consolidate with the Admirals Club on the Center Pier. The US Airways Club on the North Pier will continue operating.

Print Wikipost

Admirals Club / USAirways Club Merger Developments, Reciprocal Access [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Not sure. Despite the branding, I believe this is a lounge ran by BA. I don't get why BA would see the reason to close it. Why would BA not want a lounge at one of it's partners largest international hubs?
I tend to agree. BA even has it's own lounge at DFW Terminal D despite AA's lounges here.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat
Does AA serve complimentary spirits like UA does, or just beer and wine like US?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat; MR LT Titanium; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by seratonin7
Does AA serve complimentary spirits like UA does, or just beer and wine like US?
Sure, as long as you don't mind the well brands. AC services and amenities are on their web page:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...miralsClub.jsp
Old Dec 13, 2013, 1:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by gpmHSV
Sure, as long as you don't mind the well brands.
Careful, last time I checked the "well" "vodka" was this:

Old Dec 13, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, CK, 4 MM; Marriott Lifetime PLT
Future locations for a club

Since we are speculating, how about clubs for the new AA in the following locations:

1. FLL
2. LAS

The new AA will have a significant presence at both these airports. Furthermore, neither airline currently has a club presence at the aforementioned airports.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 5:08 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Part of what I like about PMUS are the small market clubs at airports like BDL, BUF, And GSO. Now...I only once visited the BDL club, but still very much like the idea. I hope that the existing small market clubs continue operations and that other small market cities like SJC, LAS, MKE, MSP, MCI, PDX and SEA are considered for clubs. (Most of these cities support clubs from other airlines.)
Old Dec 13, 2013, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Part of what I like about PMUS are the small market clubs at airports like BDL, BUF, And GSO. Now...I only once visited the BDL club, but still very much like the idea. I hope that the existing small market clubs continue operations and that other small market cities like SJC, LAS, MKE, MSP, MCI, PDX and SEA are considered for clubs. (Most of these cities support clubs from other airlines.)
Have you ever seen AA's club at SNA? It's tiny. Like not even the size of the tv area at the LAX club.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
I think the crucial point is that Admirals Club and US Airways Club have different operating cost structure. I think combined New AA will look at pros and cons of both cost structures and come up with the new operating cost structure for clubs. Because of that I will not be surprise to see some clubs will be destined to be closed.
I disagree. My WAG speculation is that neither airline had quite enough customers in some club-less cities to justify opening a club, but now that new AA is the largest airline in the world, the combined share in some of those cities now justifies a club.

For example, DL built a SkyClub at IND when the new airport opened. There is a mirror-image space available for another club on the opposite side, not far from the AA/US gates, and new AA is huge at IND. Perfect location for a new club that neither US or AA could justify on their own.

AA used to have a lot higher operating cost then US, one of known part was Union contract. AA was paying a lot more than US to their employees although what AA and US were doing was pretty much same, fly same kind of airplanes to same kind of destinations.
Yes, overall, AA had much higher labor costs than US. But when talking about specific workgroups, those generalizations aren't universally true. AA's pilots and FAs were much more highly paid than the US pilots and FAs (until the US FAs finally ratified a raise earlier this year).

But as far as premium service agents go, I believe things may be reversed: US agents are all members of the CWA, while none of AA's agents (including Admirals Club) are unionized. As non-represented employees at will, AA had the upper hand in setting the pay and benefits of its agents. Matter of fact, they took paycuts in bankruptcy, as well as job losses (that's why several marginal lounges closed last year).

If anything, I figure the US clubs employ higher-cost personnel than the AA clubs.

One part which interest me is that until US exit *A, which I heard sometime March or April next year, AMR Corp will likely have access to *A business (such as what and how things were negotiated among *A airlines) through US. I think such insight is valuable business information for AMR Corp and OneWorld.
That information would be a lot more useful and valuable had the Star immunized joint ventures admitted US Airways to its reindeer games - but US was forever on the outside looking in. Instead, US was permitted to codeshare and grant reciprocal earn and burn mileage programs for elites. I doubt Parker was privy to much useful data about Star's members.

Originally Posted by LAXJFKesq
Since we are speculating, how about clubs for the new AA in the following locations:

1. FLL
2. LAS

The new AA will have a significant presence at both these airports. Furthermore, neither airline currently has a club presence at the aforementioned airports.
Agreed. Add to that list IND, CMH, MCO, SEA, IAH, MCI, SMF, DTW and perhaps a few others. Some of them would be green-field locations and others would be reopenings of former Admirals Club locations.

WTH, why not reopen the SJC club, too.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:40 pm

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
While traveling today on US (as a US Club member), I used the UA Club at SNA. I didn't even occur to me to try the Admiral's Club.

When I got to PHX and entered the US club near A20 they told me when I checked in that we now can use Admiral's Clubs (unsolicited) and handed me a sheet of paper with the locations.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:22 pm

Programs: US Airways CP; SPG P; HHonors S; Delta GM
Not sure if this has been mentioned already but I noticed the US Airways site is now offering 5,000 PQM's for new and renewal club memberships through 5/31/2014

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...b/default.html
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:00 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by raybo
Not sure if this has been mentioned already but I noticed the US Airways site is now offering 5,000 PQM's for new and renewal club memberships through 5/31/2014

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...b/default.html
This is pretty typical. We (used) to get these offers pretty much every month of the year... They vary from 3000-5000 miles. [yawn]
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:29 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM

1. FLL
2. LAS

FLL and LAS are both leisure and LCC heavy destinations so I wouldn't hold out for a club in either location. Of the two, LAS seems more likely due to the corporation convention traffic.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 5:27 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES

1. FLL
2. LAS

MCO is my wish...
Old Dec 14, 2013, 5:51 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ty97
FLL and LAS are both leisure and LCC heavy destinations so I wouldn't hold out for a club in either location. Of the two, LAS seems more likely due to the corporation convention traffic.
Ft. Lauderdale has a large convention center near the port, near the hotel rows on the beach, so FLL can get some convention traffic, also. However, my understanding of convention traffic is that conventions are planned more than a year ahead, where attendees know the date of the event more than a year in advance. Many attendees of conventions can take advantage of advance purchase fare and plan ahead. Not many attendees plan to attend conventions on last minutes and purchase full fare few days before the event. For airlines conventions does not necessary equate to premium fares. Because of that LAS sounds unlikely location for a new lounge.

Beside that US has pretty much shrunk LAS operation, it is not like hub days of America West, isn’t it? I used to live at Los Angeles and remember frequent LAX-LAS and SNA-LAS flights, but pretty much those are gone, isn’t it? Will New AA have that much significant traffic at LAS?
Old Dec 14, 2013, 6:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I've fingers crossed for SEA, but I don't think there are any suitable lounge spaces out near the end of the D concourse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.