Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by brodielayne
I have had luck using Qantas as well. Not sure if they show the phantom availability that AA does, but the two flights on found on Qantas were available when I called AA.
Hi,
Just tried Qantas but no availability also...

Q, My search using AA displays about 11 x slots per day, are these slots actually ever available or just a plug in of flight information and the award availability never matched those 11 x slots shown as available?
I was up at 5.00 am today but everything I clicked on was unavailable except the usual 32 hours duration or an economy connection onward from DOH.
Trying to fly from LHR.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:08 pm

Are there any issues with having Etihad and Qatar on the same itinerary connecting to one another with luggage checked through?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Are there any issues with having Etihad and Qatar on the same itinerary connecting to one another with luggage checked through?
Will either one of these airlines or AA be issuing your luggage tag? Also, I understand that the last airline on your itin will be responsible for dealing with any delivery issues. Knowing that from the luggage tag, its nemesis might be motivated to be "less careful" in handling it.
Do you get substantial benefits from having both on the same itin?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hensleyrob
Sounds like the issue I'm seeing for a CVG-PHL-DOH-DEL itinerary. I can book CVG-PHL-DOH in J fine, but once I put the DEL segment at the end availability pretty much disappears. I've never booked an award through AA, so I don't know their normal rules / restrictions.
dont think so. The intra-gulf flights are the only 2 class QR flights that are considered first. Otherwise the only way to be in F and get into the al-safwah lounge is to be on their a380.

DOH-DEL is 2 class sold as J. It might just be sold out.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Is anyone having trouble getting AA to issue infant awards on QR metal awards? One agent after consulting with the rate desk mentioned QR would have to ticket the infant award.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Delta Platinum
I did that trip last year (to WDH), we just stayed there for a night and then went to Cape Town. They have a priority pass lounge at their small little airport. Not bad. We stayed at the Hilton in town and was blown away at how nice it was. Good lounge and rooftop bar too. Have fun! Oh yeah, we did Qatar Business class there with AA points. The 787 flight down was real nice.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:47 pm

Hi All,

I'm simply trying to find out how many AA miles it will cost me to book Moscow to Singapore via Doha on Qatar from July 4th to August 4th with a 3 night stopover at the beginning of the trip in Doha (if possible).
When I try to use the rewards search on BA, I can't find any flights on Qatar but only on BA or Japan Airlines.

Tried also looking on AA/Qatar's site but can't find the flights there.
Would the best bet be to call them up with the itinerary in mind to find out the mileage cost, or is there something I'm missing here in my search?

Thanks for the time.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by reverze
Hi All,

I'm simply trying to find out how many AA miles it will cost me to book Moscow to Singapore via Doha on Qatar from July 4th to August 4th with a 3 night stopover at the beginning of the trip in Doha (if possible).
When I try to use the rewards search on BA, I can't find any flights on Qatar but only on BA or Japan Airlines.
The DME-DOH-SIN route shows award availability almost every day after ca. Oct'2019 on AA website -- 35K miles in economy, and 75K miles in business. Perhaps it's a seasonal route. Making a stop in DOH for >24 hours will break the journey, and will require 2 awards.

Last edited by MaxVO; Apr 24, 2019 at 1:04 am
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Is anyone having trouble getting AA to issue infant awards on QR metal awards? One agent after consulting with the rate desk mentioned QR would have to ticket the infant award.
Why not just get QR to do the lap child ticket for the AA-booked award trip? Going to an airport or other ticketing desk to have it issued hasn't been a problem for me when needing to get a QR lap child ticket for a trip involving an AA-booked award trip on QR.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Why not just get QR to do the lap child ticket for the AA-booked award trip? Going to an airport or other ticketing desk to have it issued hasn't been a problem for me when needing to get a QR lap child ticket for a trip involving an AA-booked award trip on QR.
Concerned about being sent back to AA as they are the ticketing carrier.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Will either one of these airlines or AA be issuing your luggage tag? Also, I understand that the last airline on your itin will be responsible for dealing with any delivery issues. Knowing that from the luggage tag, its nemesis might be motivated to be "less careful" in handling it.
Do you get substantial benefits from having both on the same itin?
What about ticket issuing for both airlines? If they check bags through do they also have to give tickets?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
What is consensus re: intra middle east flights where QR shows Z phantom space on AA? Are these flights ever bookable? Because it seems as of now there is NO premium cabin space bookable DOH-AMM.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
The DME-DOH-SIN route shows award availability almost every day after ca. Oct'2019 on AA website -- 35K miles in economy, and 75K miles in business. Perhaps it's a seasonal route. Making a stop in DOH for >24 hours will break the journey, and will require 2 awards.
Thanks for taking a look, appreciate that.
So basically that means there's no reward availability on Qatar then until after October 2019, correct?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I just booked a one-way CMB-DOH-JFK award ticket in J and there were $140ish in fees. This seems quite high for an award ticket, is this what people have experienced? Is there anyway I can see a breakdown in the fees? It's not broken out in the receipt.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Ah nevermind, I found it. Looks like $120 of the $150 comes from Sri Lanka-imposed fees.
EMBARKATION TAX (SRI LANKA) $60.00
USDSRI LANKA OVERSEAS SALES SURCHARGE (SRI LANKA) $60.00 USD

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.