Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by future elite
I'm trying to book BEY-DOH-IAH in business class for May. The AA website shows availability, and BA shows 2 seats on each leg in First for BEY-DOH and Business for DOH-IAH when searched separately. However, when I try to select the QR itinerary, the website tells me that it is no longer available.

If I see each segment separately on BA, then is it really "phantom". Would an agent be able to book this ticket? This would fall under the waived fee of not being able to book on AA.com, right?
*Edit* BA now shows no BEY-DOH availability
On the BA website, it seemed like all of the BEY-DOH seats in J evaporated overnight when I wrote this post for every day I was searching for. I ended up booking BEY-AMM-DOH-IAH. The BEY-AMM-DOH leg are on RJ with the AMM-DOH leg in Y, and then DOH-IAH is in J on QR.

It is going to be a very very long travel day, and hopefully Q Suites will be worth it. Now to get the PNR to select seats.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by future elite
...Now to get the PNR to select seats.
Get the partner PNR by phone from AA.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
Data Point: Just booked MIA-PHL-DOH-WDH in J for 75,000 miles. I did a ton of different searches to get to Southern Africa in Q1 2020 and most of the Qatar availability from NA to Doha was through Philadelphia. Lots of availability through Montreal as well.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by tennislover9
Data Point: Just booked MIA-PHL-DOH-WDH in J for 75,000 miles. I did a ton of different searches to get to Southern Africa in Q1 2020 ...
What part of Southern Africa is your ultimate destination? Q1 is summer down there.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:45 pm
Community Director Emerita

Is anyone finding LAX-DOH or DOH-LAX business class availability at the end of the schedule? I've had no success from the start of January 2020 to the start of March, checking for over a month now. Other gateway cities are randomly available but never (for me) LAX.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Is anyone finding LAX-DOH or DOH-LAX business class availability at the end of the schedule? I've had no success from the start of January 2020 to the start of March, checking for over a month now. Other gateway cities are randomly available but never (for me) LAX.
Zero luck, and I have been checking daily for a couple of weeks now. The option I have found is to transit via LHR on BA.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:11 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
I think all Qatar is gone...I checked PHL, ORD, IAH, JFK all nothing...
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:04 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

We did. I don't know how we got so lucky! Mr StartInSanDiego was checking the schedule regularly to get us home from South Africa in February. We had JNB-DOH on hold, with the plan to add DOH to Dallas, then Dallas to San Diego, Santa Ana or LAX. We had random segments on hold the day before our target date, just in case. Magically, at 3am PST on the AA release date, the DOH to LAX was released and we nabbed it. It hadn't been coming up for days, but there it was, on the day we wanted. There were 4 seats and we booked 2 of them, and were luckily able to put that segment on hold for a friend on the same itinerary, which she later booked using her own points. It priced at out 75.000 AA miles pp/ow. I felt like we won the lottery!
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by t1c
I think all Qatar is gone...I checked PHL, ORD, IAH, JFK all nothing...
Qatar has been performing some upgrades and changes to the inventory and revenue management systems over the past several weeks. I was told the work was completed earlier in the week (according to my friend who works for Amadeus Group). During the several week period is was very apparent to me that something was going on as full inventories of discount (and award) booking classes were opening up for very short intervals and at completely random times during the day. The other thing that was incredibly interesting is that during that time period you could query ExpertFlyer (or GDS) and the Flight Availability was showing ALL available classes included U and X inventories (those are normally restricted booking classes and are not publicly displayed by GDS or EF). Now that the work is complete those available classes are once again hidden from public query.

The other interesting thing I have noticed is that QR used to release a fixed amount of U business class inventory at the time the schedule opens up and then once those seats were snagged there would rarely be any more released (but on the flip side if someone cancelled and returned the U inventory it often times would return even close to flight date - especially if R was still being sold). This was a bit unique (and rather simple) to QR in that they almost sectioned off a handful of business award seats where as most modern revenue management systems are based on demand and previous year sales statistics for similar dates. Now it seems their process to release award seats may have gotten more highly algorithm based and it would definitely appear the nearly uniform release of a couple or more business award seats at schedule opening may be a thing of the past. For what it's worth, Air Tahiti Nui, which is also another Amadeus customer just a few months ago did a similar change. I image Amadeus may be marketing enhance revenue management software upgrades to their customers.

In any event, since Qatar has a difficult time selling business class on a number of their routes it actually may help shake up Award availability on less popular routes but I think it's going to be harder to rely on those 2-4 business award seats that used to show up a year out on practically all flights. It was a good opportunity to snag difficult to find seats over the past few weeks.
StartinSanDiego likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:49 pm

Is this real? I just acquired a few hundred thousand AA miles to book QSuites in about 3 weeks from now (for next year). This is pretty crushing to my plan if so.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by hensleyrob
Is this real? I just acquired a few hundred thousand AA miles to book QSuites in about 3 weeks from now (for next year). This is pretty crushing to my plan if so.
Yes it does seem to be real. Of course QR could change their minds again at any time for any reason.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by hensleyrob
The sky is not falling. Just this morning I booked 2 tickets in Q Suites JFK-DOH-CMB for March 2020. Knowing the AA website is showing phantom availability, I first confirmed space on BA and then called AA to book. You might just need to plan ahead.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by mpeterson78
The sky is not falling. Just this morning I booked 2 tickets in Q Suites JFK-DOH-CMB for March 2020. Knowing the AA website is showing phantom availability, I first confirmed space on BA and then called AA to book. You might just need to plan ahead.
As an aside, should anyone else be looking at a Sri Lanka holiday, we are actually heading there on EK booked with AS due we wanted a free stopover in the Maldives for a few days. On the return, had no difficulty booking QR with AA but could only get two seats. Needed four. To my surprise and delight, CMB-originating one way fares in Q were only a bit over $2,000. Solid value and hence not a spectacular redemption.

Just be aware CMBDOH gets somewhat frequent equipment swaps. We’ve already been downgraded from Q to a LATAM 350 that QR has on lease. Thankfully the longer segment will be in Q.

Also note that Q four packs can’t be select online if the party is in separate PNRs. You have to ring.

Lastly, J pax can upgrade to the F lounge in DOH for something like $70 per person.

Enjoy - Jamie
callmedtop likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by mpeterson78
That’s good to hear. I was able to find some availability in February and March as well, but as soon as I add a DOH to DEL segment on the end I can’t find anything.

A few more weeks until the dates I need open up, fingers crossed!
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:33 pm

I was able to book HEL-ARN-DOH-MLE (November) CMB-DOH-OSL-HEL (December) for two with 170.000 miles, all segments in business, three with Qsuites, at least now. I found space with AA-award search tool and put it on hold for 5 days. I couldn't pay it online and had to call to AA call center and first they said that they can't make my routing with same miles.... luckily the supervisor step in and was able to book it.
Now I got pnr code and was able to choose seats for Finnair flights, Hel-Arn Osl-Hel. Then I started to choose seats for Qr-flights, I can choose them but it won't let me save my seat preferences.... maybe I have to call Qatar...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.