Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by witthuus
trying to book US East coast to MLE with QR and AA miles. Tons of availability on every single day in Feb 2020 but when I try to book it, I get an error message. No matter what day and what flight. Is this phantom availability or an AA glitch ?
Thanks
The AA site is glitchy. If you see the QR space on BA.com, you can most likely book it through AA, but you should call. If the AA website errors when booking, it ties up that inventory for some time on an incomplete PNR floating out there in the ether, so if availability is limited, don’t try online first because if it fails then there won’t be any left for a phone agent to grab when you call. But just in the last week I have booked 4 different J awards on QR metal using AA miles.
witthuus and mpeterson78 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by javabytes

The AA site is glitchy. If you see the QR space on BA.com, you can most likely book it through AA, but you should call. If the AA website errors when booking, it ties up that inventory for some time on an incomplete PNR floating out there in the ether, so if availability is limited, don’t try online first because if it fails then there won’t be any left for a phone agent to grab when you call. But just in the last week I have booked 4 different J awards on QR metal using AA miles.
PERFECT !! Worked fine and I was able to secure two seats to MLE in Business with Q Suites. Thanks again !! ^
javabytes likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:37 pm

American airline award travel

I am trying to book an award ticket using Advantage miles. After I enter the date of travel, origination and destination cities, the portal displays a list of flights. None of these flights have a seat available. When I select any flight from the list, it says "The flight you selected is no longer available. Please modify your request." I have been trying for last one week and every time, I have same issue. I am trying a business class flight from AMD-ATL in February, 2020.

Thinking that seats may be going fast, I tried to book at 12.01 AM (yes, midnight), but still no seats are available,

My question, if no seats are available, why do they present a list of flights for a given date and to/from cities?

Either it is an error or a shrewd business tactic. I just bought missing miles worth $1800 to get a business class ticket.

Anyone knows how to escalate the issue?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by mrugshal11
I am trying to book an award ticket using Advantage miles. After I enter the date of travel, origination and destination cities, the portal displays a list of flights. None of these flights have a seat available...
You could have read a few of the preceding posts before posting.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:40 pm

Is there a trend as to whether QR ever opens up additional J award space as departure date approaches? Plenty of seats for sale but no award availability.

Thanks
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:43 pm

Hello all...
I am trying to find award space availability from India to Doha and onwards to US. I can find DOH-US segments but not to Doha, not even through Colombo. Any ideas on what strategy needs to be. I am looking for travel around end of April 2019.
Thanks...
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by arav_m
Hello all...
I am trying to find award space availability from India to Doha and onwards to US. I can find DOH-US segments but not to Doha, not even through Colombo. Any ideas on what strategy needs to be. I am looking for travel around end of April 2019.
Thanks...
Travel is only a month away... you're quite late to the party. Cabins are getting full. If you can't find availability on QR all the way through, you might have to try combining Sri Lankan via CMB to DOH and then QR to the US, which I'm sure would require calling in.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by arav_m
Hello all...
Thanks...
How about positioning through KTM. I saw award space on the KTM-IAH route in April.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by slice
Is there a trend as to whether QR ever opens up additional J award space as departure date approaches? Plenty of seats for sale but no award availability.

Thanks
I'm curious about this as well.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:59 am

Hello, It is First Class availability is blocked on their A380? I am trying to find space on CAN-DOH
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:58 pm

Thanks
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
I'm curious about this as well.
And separately, is there a place to set alerts for space? I see it’s not offered on ExpertFlyer.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
And separately, is there a place to set alerts for space? I see it’s not offered on ExpertFlyer.
I believe AwardNexus does. It is a paid service based on use by a point system. But you can get a limited use free account when registering as a FT member by clicking on the more signup options link.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, BA Gold
deleted
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, BA Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes

Any idea how long the PNR is tied up when trying to book QR space on AA.com and it errors? I read this post after attempting to book several flights and now none are available. I assume that space is being "tied" up after my previously failed attempts to book. How long do they hold that inventory before cancelling and then it goes back into the pool and is available for booking again?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elbombo
Any idea how long the PNR is tied up when trying to book QR space on AA.com and it errors? I read this post after attempting to book several flights and now none are available. I assume that space is being "tied" up after my previously failed attempts to book. How long do they hold that inventory before cancelling and then it goes back into the pool and is available for booking again?
Somewhere under a day. But long enough I gave up sitting there waiting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.