Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being youll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that arent for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards offline, and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by CFM3RD
I thought that as of Jan 2019 there were new rates for earning AA EQMs and EQDs on Qatar. When I look at aa.com it still shows as of Jan 2016.

I'd like to know - flying Business (R) DFW - DOH - BKK and back - the new chart showed 35% for R, the current chart shows 25%.

Secondary issue - Going Jan 22 - back on Feb 12th -- I will have access to AA and Qatar lounges correct?
The chart hasn’t changed recently AFAIK; it applies for travel on or after August 1, 2016. You may be thinking of AA JBV airlines AY, BA, IB, JL. Your earnings will depend on your fare, 20% or 25% of miles flown for EQD in J, 1.5 EQM per mile flown.

Flying Business Qatar will get you into any Admirals Club A, B, C) or the interim AA Premium Lounge.

At DOH / Hana’s International, you’ll have access to the Al Mourjan Business Lounge. The latter is upstairs at (show your ongoing boarding pass to the guardians at the entry to the escalator) and quite spread out. There are a couple of places to eat iirc, and looking before choosing where to relax is a good idea because if the variability.

At BKK you’ll have access to oneworld Lounges.

We have merged your post into the existing thread. Moderator
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
With respect to the third region exception, if I travel Europe-South Pacific via the Middle East, must I travel QR-QR or can it be IB/AY/BA-QR and still be priced as one award (subject to transiting only).
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by danger
With respect to the third region exception, if I travel Europe-South Pacific via the Middle East, must I travel QR-QR or can it be IB/AY/BA-QR and still be priced as one award (subject to transiting only).
It has to be a QR-QR connection to be priced as a single award
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:42 am

I've been checking closely when this happened (around 1/10) and it looks like you can still find direct flights from DOH to US in economy not business. Direct flights from US to DOH are not bookable at all.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by danger
It has to be QR-QR in the Middle East (so LHR-CDG-DOH-SYD-MEL; BA-QR-QR-QF works). You can't go LHR-AMM-DOH-SYD (BA-QR-QR).
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Originally Posted by lincoln boy
I've been checking closely when this happened (around 1/10) and it looks like you can still find direct flights from DOH to US in economy not business. Direct flights from US to DOH are not bookable at all.
Sorry, I might not be following here, but I just booked the new Qsuites from Boston in early April. BOS-DOH-WDH roundtrip. And there were a number of other days available on the BOS-DOH route and back. It was actually the DOH-WDH leg that was limitied.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by flyaxa
Sorry, I might not be following here, but I just booked the new Qsuites from Boston in early April. BOS-DOH-WDH roundtrip. And there were a number of other days available on the BOS-DOH route and back. It was actually the DOH-WDH leg that was limitied.
Yes, there's availability on USA-DOH routes on many dates in Feb-Oct. But as of some point in early Nov, availability in J goes to zero.This is what the discussion is about---booking at the 330-day mark for the holiday travel period, Dec. 2019.
flyaxa likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Yes, there's availability on USA-DOH routes on many dates in Feb-Oct. But as of some point in early Nov, availability in J goes to zero.This is what the discussion is about---booking at the 330-day mark for the holiday travel period, Dec. 2019.
And some of it seems to have been pulled, rather than never made available in the first place. It had been available throughout November and early December on multiple US-DOH routes, but it seems to have all been pulled at once. I've been keeping an eye on those months since this past November (searching Qantas/BA/AA).
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by americanyidiot
And some of it seems to have been pulled, rather than never made available in the first place. It had been available throughout November and early December on multiple US-DOH routes, but it seems to have all been pulled at once. I've been keeping an eye on those months since this past November (searching Qantas/BA/AA).
The only available route to Doha for November seems to be from New York and that too the morning flight which is useless for those connecting from other US Cities or connecting to onward cities from Doha without a huge layover
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:55 am
Suspended

I've been stacking AA miles in order to book a DFW-CPT (via DOH) Business Tickets for 2 people. We plan on going in March/April 2020 and a couple weeks ago, there were many J seats available on various days looking in Oct/Nov 2019. These have disappeared as others have noted. I hope some availability returns as we plan on booking this April/May for next year (10-11 months ahead of time).

I wonder why all the availability disappeared.

BA is an option, but I really wanted the QR Q-suite.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:46 pm

QR don't even make economy award space available after 12/18 between EU & UK and Asia & Indian continents. .
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by americanyidiot
Yes. I booked USA-DEL-USA for 11/17 on 12/27 and there was excellent availability both ways.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: Marriott
Originally Posted by cslovacek
I've been stacking AA miles in order to book a DFW-CPT (via DOH) Business Tickets for 2 people. We plan on going in March/April 2020 and a couple weeks ago, there were many J seats available on various days looking in Oct/Nov 2019. These have disappeared as others have noted. I hope some availability returns as we plan on booking this April/May for next year (10-11 months ahead of time).

I wonder why all the availability disappeared.

BA is an option, but I really wanted the QR Q-suite.
I'm holding out for a Q-suite. BA surcharges are brutal.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Yes. I booked USA-DEL-USA for 11/17 on 12/27 and there was excellent availability both ways.
That's the route I'm looking for almost exactly a month later for a friend's wedding. Saw the availability, just needed to wait until the 331 day mark. A couple days before, it all vanished. Sigh.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:05 am

Yea, I've just settled into a routine of running an awardnexus search every morning when I get into work. Hope this is restored at least somewhat soon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.