Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DCAKen
However, my question was about the Million Miles earned from this flight. For flights on AA metal, my Million Miles earned are the flown miles, not the Base Miles earned. Is this different for flights on other OW carriers?
as you said in your previous post and confirmed at https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...er-program.jsp, million mile count is based on the base miles

Originally Posted by AA.com
Million MilerSM program. Miles earned toward Million Miler status are based on the distance of your flight for travel on American marketed flights or the base miles earned for travel on eligible partner marketed flights.
The base miles for an N class flight on QR are 25% of the flown miles
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by DCAKen
Is this different for flights on other OW carriers?
Yes.
"AAdvantage® Million MilerSM program. Miles earned toward Million Miler status are based on the distance of your flight for travel on American marketed flights or the base miles earned for travel on eligible partner marketed flights."
This statement is not present in the link provided by Dave.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:23 pm

Trying to book CCU-DOH-ORD on 10/15/19. QR awards are available, but I can't book because the connection time is 45 min, which is less than the MCT (60min for flights to the US). I wouln't mind spending a day in DOH, but I can't book that as an award either because then the connection time is 24 hr 45 min, which is more than 24 hrs.

Doesn't seem fair.

Nor does it seem fair that QR had the same timings in the winter 2018-19 schedule, but has just pushed the DOH-ORD departure back 15 min so the connections are now possible this winter---but of course no awards remain available.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Trying to book CCU-DOH-ORD on 10/15/19. QR awards are available, but I can't book because the connection time is 45 min, which is less than the MCT (60min for flights to the US). I wouln't mind spending a day in DOH, but I can't book that as an award either because then the connection time is 24 hr 45 min, which is more than 24 hrs.

Doesn't seem fair.

Nor does it seem fair that QR had the same timings in the winter 2018-19 schedule, but has just pushed the DOH-ORD departure back 15 min so the connections are now possible this winter---but of course no awards remain available.
Why don't you book another Indian city with better connection, like DEL. It is inconvenient (and with cost) to do a positioning flight from CCU but it may be the only way you can book a QR award from India to ORD.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
Why don't you book another Indian city with better connection, like DEL. It is inconvenient (and with cost) to do a positioning flight from CCU but it may be the only way you can book a QR award from India to ORD.
Thanks. Easier to fly EY or CX, which do not do this funny stuff with connection times. QR is far better in J, but not worth the hassle you have suggested.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LukeO9
This statement is not present in the link provided by Dave.
Yes it is - right under the picture of an aeroplane
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:05 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Curious to hear your experiences regarding how long it takes for flights on QR to post to your AA account? Assuming no manual intervention is involved.

Historically I have noticed they post within 24 hours and I just did four segments on QR. The first one posted while I was in the air and the subsequent three flights have not posted.

Granted it’s still only a few days but just want to get an idea as it’s getting close to year end and I need those flights for EXP. Thanks!

ETA: everything posted.

Last edited by golfingboy; Nov 21, 2018 at 5:22 am
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: AS 75K Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, National EE
Originally Posted by jimmysilvs
Has anyone found any further information on why DOH - USA cities award flights are gone post 9/30/19? I am looking specifically on the AA site and am able to hold some other QR flights (MLE-DOH, DOH-MAD), but there is no availability for DOH-BOS, JFK, PHL, EWR, ORD, ATL, etc.....
Appears you can now book Oct 13th onwards now. Seems October 1st to 12th, 2019 is blacked out
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by VAFlyerSAN
Appears you can now book Oct 13th onwards now. Seems October 1st to 12th, 2019 is blacked out
QR opens bookings at 355 days out. AA allows booking QR (or any other booking) at 330 days. So there need not be a blackout; if QR awards are booked by others between 355 and 330 days out, which often happens, they will never appear on aa.com.

However, they can be seen (but not booked by AAdvantage members, who can only watch helplessly) on ba.com, qantas.com, etc.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by VAFlyerSAN
And wouldn't you know it was Oct 12 I was looking and waiting for.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic
QR opens bookings at 355 days out. AA allows booking QR (or any other booking) at 330 days. So there need not be a blackout; if QR awards are booked by others between 355 and 330 days out, which often happens, they will never appear on aa.com.

However, they can be seen (but not booked by AAdvantage members, who can only watch helplessly) on ba.com, qantas.com, etc.
I think that’s too much of a coincidence (that they’re all booked up). It has to be some sort of blackout. Combined with weird errors on AA saying “the flight you selected is no longer available”
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:19 pm

I think that’s too much of a coincidence (that they’re all booked up). It has to be some sort of blackout. Combined with weird errors on AA saying “the flight you selected is no longer available”
No idea what you mean by "some sort of a blackout". It's quite common that they get booked up between 355 and 330 days; and on some days, no awards are released (and there is no rule requiring them to release awards).

The "no longer available" message appears on aa.com when you are choosing a flight on the first day it becomes available, but including a connection that is the following calendar day (because it's overnight to Doha). It's a bug, AA should not be displaying flights that can't be booked; but it's not a conspiracy.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer
And wouldn't you know it was Oct 12 I was looking and waiting for.
Oct 12, 2019 is a Saturday. There have been multiple times in the past where QR only released business class availability to/from USA for Mon-Thu departures, never Fri-Sun. Since this pattern has come and gone several times, you should always expect that it could return, and consider workarounds as a backup in case it does return

But of course, this current case seems to slightly different, in that it's a specific almost-two-week block that's zeroed out.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:31 pm

ITA that there's something behind the long stretches of zero award availability on the AA site. I'm looking to fly from any U.S. gateway on 9/23, 9/24 or 9/25 (Mon/Tues/Wed) and have been monitoring QR awards since early September this year. U.S. - DOH J awards were widely available throughout August 2019 and up through 9/19/19. I check the AA site at least 20 times a day and have never seen bookable QR award availability in any class for the last 10 days of September, although I have seen J awards pop up for the first week of October. Other than a construction trade show running from 9/23 - 9/25 in Doha, there don't seem to be any other events that would drive up demand during this time period and I doubt it's just everyday traffic since there's so much availability in the weeks leading up to 9/19/19.

I'll continue to check the AA site but won't be holding my breath.

Last edited by dcinmb; Nov 21, 2018 at 5:55 pm Reason: To fix date errors.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic
No idea what you mean by "some sort of a blackout". It's quite common that they get booked up between 355 and 330 days; and on some days, no awards are released (and there is no rule requiring them to release awards).

The "no longer available" message appears on aa.com when you are choosing a flight on the first day it becomes available, but including a connection that is the following calendar day (because it's overnight to Doha). It's a bug, AA should not be displaying flights that can't be booked; but it's not a conspiracy.
No idea? There is wide award availability throughout the summer and it’s popping up post 10/12, but there is none for the early October period. I don’t think it’s far fetched to assume it’s a blackout rather than 100% fully booked award flights to every US city they fly to from Doha...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.