Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:15 pm
p78
Suspended

Programs: BA Silver, Aegan Gold, Hilton Diamond
looking for Europe-Doha-Male award in J Feb 2019
AA only see J for 1 leg to Doha
nothing in J for Dohe Male

my question is if I book mixed cabin do MLE and later will be J availability DOH-MLE is possible to change reward how how much will it cost?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Been doing some searching and only see 1 J seat available from DOH > JRO for most dates with the random date with 2 available. Does QR generally release more than 1 J seat on this route? If so, can I request an additional when booking or when do they typically release? Is there a way to get put on a waitlist if I book 1 J and 1 Y (to make sure we're both on the same itinerary)?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:02 am

Looking for LAX-DOH-GOI and been searching for several weeks now, I can't seem to find anything for Dec.

Is there any hope?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mannatron
Looking for LAX-DOH-GOI and been searching for several weeks now, I can't seem to find anything for Dec.

Is there any hope?
You haven't explained how you're searching (what site, and end-to-end or one leg at a time), you haven't explained what days of the week you're searching (QR may only have availability on certain days of the week from the USA), etc.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:09 am

I've searched for open seats using Skyscanner and AA's website. I put a ticket on hold with a travel agent, as nothing pops up on their websites.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mannatron
I've searched for open seats using Skyscanner and AA's website. I put a ticket on hold with a travel agent, as nothing pops up on their websites.
AA's website cannot show QR award flights (nor those of many other partners). Skyscanner does not show award flights at all.

And award flight availability has hardly anything to do with "open seats". Only a teeny tiny fraction of flights with "open seats" have award availability, so there's no point in wasting time looking for flights with open seats if what you really want is award flights.

You need to look up QR award flgihts using a site that uses another oneworld alliance airline to gather award flight info, either www.awardnexus.com (FlyerTalk members can sign up for free by clicking "more signup options" under the green Purchase button), or QFs website or BA's website.

Award Nexus can search both QF and BA, and has a much nicer user interface in my opinion.

If and when you find availability using another OW airline (directly or through Award Nexus), you then have to call up AA on the phone to book. They'll waive the phone booking fee because QR award flights cannot be booked on AA's website.

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 1, 2018 at 8:20 pm
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[deleted]

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 1, 2018 at 8:18 pm Reason: accidental double post
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Just completed a long haul flight on QR from US to India via Doha and was amazed at how quickly the miles posted to my account. First leg (US - Doha) had already posted to my AAdvantage account by the time I touched down in India and reached my hotel.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
Just completed a long haul flight on QR from US to India via Doha and was amazed at how quickly the miles posted to my account. First leg (US - Doha) had already posted to my AAdvantage account by the time I touched down in India and reached my hotel.
It really depends, my JFK-DOH-HYD (first leg) sector posted the next morning, however after 20 days my 2nd sector (HYD-DOH-JFK) hasn't posted and I've been denied mileage from QR. So it seems like a mix bag
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
It really depends, my JFK-DOH-HYD (first leg) sector posted the next morning, however after 20 days my 2nd sector (HYD-DOH-JFK) hasn't posted and I've been denied mileage from QR. So it seems like a mix bag
That's really strange... any updates on getting that resolved?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
That's really strange... any updates on getting that resolved?
Just called AA yesterday, post the individual reviewing the ticket # and the appropriate information, they manually provided the appropriate EQD/EQM into my account. Sometimes, they ask you to provide a boarding pass, purchase e-mail and etc.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:44 am

I had a very strange experience with changing the dates on an award yesterday and would appreciate some advice. I tried to change the dates of a BEY-DOH-DPS flight, all on Qatar. I wanted the same flight numbers and everything, just to move it up one week. The call representative from American made the change without any problem, including assigning me seats. He then said he had to cancel the award, refund the existing taxes/fess and then charge for the new one. Then came the problem. The excuse was that the BEY-DOH was operated by Latam, and that was a problem. I was then put on hold for a very long time. During this time, I logged into my Qatar account, and was surprised to see that the changes already went through, including the seat assignments. Then the American rep repeated the problem was the Latam operated flight and wanted to change that segment to a later one. That timing was not good for me, so I asked for my original flights to be re-instated. I was then put on hold for a very long time again. Ultimately he said to call back today to get my original award ticket reinstated. So here I sit without any flights, no refund, and my original miles still missing out of my American Account.

Has anybody heard about American not being able to book a Qatar award flight operated by Latam? That did not make sense to me, as I witnessed the change in Qatar's system before he canceled it.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Flamenguista
I had a very strange experience with changing the dates on an award yesterday and would appreciate some advice. I tried to change the dates of a BEY-DOH-DPS flight, all on Qatar. I wanted the same flight numbers and everything, just to move it up one week. The call representative from American made the change without any problem, including assigning me seats. He then said he had to cancel the award, refund the existing taxes/fess and then charge for the new one. Then came the problem. The excuse was that the BEY-DOH was operated by Latam, and that was a problem. I was then put on hold for a very long time. During this time, I logged into my Qatar account, and was surprised to see that the changes already went through, including the seat assignments. Then the American rep repeated the problem was the Latam operated flight and wanted to change that segment to a later one. That timing was not good for me, so I asked for my original flights to be re-instated. I was then put on hold for a very long time again. Ultimately he said to call back today to get my original award ticket reinstated. So here I sit without any flights, no refund, and my original miles still missing out of my American Account.

Has anybody heard about American not being able to book a Qatar award flight operated by Latam? That did not make sense to me, as I witnessed the change in Qatar's system before he canceled it.
You just got a bad rep that didn't know what he was looking at. These QR/Latam flights are not operated by Latam in the sense of a codeshare (obviously Latam doesn't operate it's own DOH-BEY flight), they are full QR flights that are just using leased Latam aircraft. The process for booking an award flight on one of these should be no different than booking an award flight on any other QR flight.

Also, simply changing the dates of an award will usually require it to be reticketed, however it shouldn't need to be cancelled and taxes refunded, etc. I would have stopped the AAgent right there and HUCA.

I would give AA a call back today ASAP and try again to get on the new flights you were after.
Flamenguista likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:50 am

Update: I called back and the new American rep was able to follow through with the change. There was a little problem somewhere in the process, but she had the helpdesk push through the change with no problem.

Last edited by Flamenguista; Apr 23, 2018 at 7:18 am
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
I am looking to fly LHR-DOH and using AA miles because of a strong chance of last minute cancellation. As an EXP most of my miles flights seem to be fully refundable (even in Y) is it the same on QR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.