Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by jai71186
Where did you look up the availability for DOH - DEL flight? I am having trouble on AA trying to get any available seats at all for the end of the year.
I used BA.com to look up all availability, then once I found what worked I went to AA.com to book. Seemed to work well for my needs at least, this was my first time booking nay award through AA and will be my first time flying QR.
jai71186 likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by hensleyrob
I used BA.com to look up all availability, then once I found what worked I went to AA.com to book. Seemed to work well for my needs at least, this was my first time booking nay award through AA and will be my first time flying QR.
Yeah this is what I just had to do for my recent booking. Phantom availability shows on AA, and everything that was or was not bookable corresponded with the availability shown on BA.
Old May 8, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
Can you fly CVG-PHL-DOH-JNB on a single ticket? It's not a published fare because AA and QR don't codeshare? Thanks in advance.
Old May 8, 2019, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by jfinsocal
Can you fly CVG-PHL-DOH-JNB on a single ticket? It's not a published fare because AA and QR don't codeshare? Thanks in advance.
You are misunderstanding the published fare rule, all you need is for QR to publish a fare between CVG-JNB that allows that routing. Whether or not AA and QR codeshare is irrelevant.

Looking at ExpertFlyer it does look like that routing is allowed, so you should be good to go.
jfinsocal likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:29 am

Need some help! I am planning to travel from Atlanta to New Delhi in the last week of October. I finally found some award availability for Qatar Airways on AA website but it routing me through DFW( ATL - DFW - DOH - DEL). But when I break it down into segments, I can see that there is a direct flight available from ATL - DOH. I called the customer service but they told me that whatever is available online can be booked. They cannot override it. Any tips or suggestions would be really helpful.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Book the routing via DFW online then call and ask to change.
jai71186 likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:32 pm

Need some help! I am planning to travel from Atlanta to New Delhi in the last week of October. I finally found some award availability for Qatar Airways on AA website but it routing me through DFW( ATL - DFW - DOH - DEL). But when I break it down into segments, I can see that there is a direct flight available from ATL - DOH. I called the customer service but they told me that whatever is available online can be booked. They cannot override it. Any tips or suggestions would be really helpful.
This is the new normal, and pretty jerky of AA. There are a couple of threads on married/unmarried segments on FT, and see also https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2017/12/26/game-americans-new-connecting-flight-award-availability-get-ticket-want/ However, agents are no longer allowed to game the system.
Old May 15, 2019, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
This is the new normal, and pretty jerky of AA. There are a couple of threads on married/unmarried segments on FT, and see also https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2017/12/26/game-americans-new-connecting-flight-award-availability-get-ticket-want/ However, agents are no longer allowed to game the system.
How is it AA's fault if QR isn't giving availability on the flight from Atlanta on to New Delhi?
Old May 15, 2019, 6:44 pm

Update : I called the AA customer service couple of times and was finally able to get ATL - DOH -DEL route. Thank you, everyone, for providing tips.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 7:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Update : I called the AA customer service couple of times and was finally able to get ATL - DOH -DEL route. Thank you, everyone, for providing tips.
Congratulations. Sometimes, our mantra is HUCA - hang up, call again.
jai71186 likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:05 pm

If it's in business class, I would've preferred the longer route with Q-suites.
Old May 18, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Data point including middle eastern first - I called AU call center the other day and within 20 minutes had 2 tickets BHM-DFW-DOH-AMM booked, including an overnight (not stopover) in DOH. BHM DFW in domestic F and DOH AMM in that weird middle eastern Z first. Agent couldnt have been more helpful.
Old May 18, 2019, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MaxVO
If it's in business class, I would've preferred the longer route with Q-suites.
As long as a flight is long enough to get a good night’s sleep, it hardly matters. I personally would not add 5+ hours and an extra connection to a trip just to have 45 extra minutes of Q-suites on a flight that is already 13.5 hours.
JJeffrey and Happy like this.
Old May 19, 2019, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by javabytes

As long as a flight is long enough to get a good night’s sleep, it hardly matters. I personally would not add 5+ hours and an extra connection to a trip just to have 45 extra minutes of Q-suites on a flight that is already 13.5 hours.
No, there would be no extra minutes of Q-suites. The OP's proposed shorter route would have no Q-suites at all.
Old May 19, 2019, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MaxVO
No, there would be no extra minutes of Q-suites. The OP's proposed shorter route would have no Q-suites at all.
Still not worth it even if ATL-DOH is just a plain old 359 without Q-Suites. There’s not a single seat QR flies to the US that isn’t fantastic.
JJeffrey and GTITAN like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.