Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:09 pm

J intra gulf

If redeeming AA for J award from DFW-DOH-AMM, how can I book the DOH-AMM segment in J? I know that QR considers the front of the plane as F intra gulf, but shouldn't it book as J (just like AA domestic)?
Online both BA and AA show that segment as Y with no availability in J or F.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:31 pm

Booking an award with connection JFK - Is a 1hr 50 min QR to Alaska connection realistic?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: US Airways DM Silver, United Mileage Plus
Not if you have to clear immigration. If you're a citizen/green card holder, it might be quick, but you still have to clear immigration, get your bags, drop them off at Alaska, then get to the gate. A lot for 1 hr 50 min, that too without any delays. My $.02.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by menlif
If redeeming AA for J award from DFW-DOH-AMM, how can I book the DOH-AMM segment in J? I know that QR considers the front of the plane as F intra gulf, but shouldn't it book as J (just like AA domestic)?
Online both BA and AA show that segment as Y with no availability in J or F.
Sounds like the issue I'm seeing for a CVG-PHL-DOH-DEL itinerary. I can book CVG-PHL-DOH in J fine, but once I put the DEL segment at the end availability pretty much disappears. I've never booked an award through AA, so I don't know their normal rules / restrictions.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: tk gold, lh ftl, ab gold
Is QR blocking Z class on their intra-Gulf routes? Can only find economy awards on DOH-AMM/BEY...
BA also shows zero availability.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by mrwise
Not if you have to clear immigration. If you're a citizen/green card holder, it might be quick, but you still have to clear immigration, get your bags, drop them off at Alaska, then get to the gate. A lot for 1 hr 50 min, that too without any delays. My $.02.
Yeah ended up not booking. Too risky given the terminal and airline change (even with GE).
mrwise likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:59 pm

I'm trying to book 2 flights, one from DOH > IAD and the other one DOH > IAD > JFK.

BA is showing 2 awards available. Should I just bite the extra leg and try to hold both from DOH > IAD? Or should I incognito a window and try to hold each individual ticket on the respective AA account?

I'm just worried that if I put one on hold the other might disappear.

Also, I'm trying to avoid incurring a phone booking fee though I'm not seeing DOH > IAD > JFK (showing DOH > LHR > JFK only) available online while those individual legs are..

edit: Booked both together over the phone with no fee. I will drop IAD > JFK for one.

Last edited by jayoxd; Apr 16, 2019 at 6:46 pm
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA DL
Im trying to book ORD >MLE in Dec 2019 for our honeymoon. Outgoing dates Dec 13 or 14, incoming Dec 21.

I cant find any QF availability in J. Im only able to see Dec 13 ORD >AMM>DOH>MLE outgoing, with ORD>AMM>DOH on RJ in J and DOH >MLE in economy. Any chance to get ORD>DOH>MLE or anything else with nicer business /more time in QF?

For the return leg, I see a Dec 21 DOH>AMM>ORD in J however, when I sign in to book, availability disappears and im left with RJ in J and QF in econ. Any idea why im unable to book it?

I have points reservations in MLE from Dec 16-21 so our dates are not flexible unfortunately.

Any help is appreciated to get from ORD to MLE.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:33 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by livesupinsmoke
Any help is appreciated to get from ORD to MLE.
Welcome to FlyerTalk. I would grab what I could find and then continue to work to improve it over the next few months. AA allows us to make changes in award bookings for free as long as the start and end airport do not change. You could subscribe to ExpertFlyer and set up an alert for DOH-MLE. If it becomes available in business, you would get a text. You could then call to change it.
StartinSanDiego likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:15 am

I don't think ExpertFlyer supports QR, or at least it didn't last time I checked. Had to use awardnexus instead.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: UA DL
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Welcome to FlyerTalk. I would grab what I could find and then continue to work to improve it over the next few months. AA allows us to make changes in award bookings for free as long as the start and end airport do not change. You could subscribe to ExpertFlyer and set up an alert for DOH-MLE. If it becomes available in business, you would get a text. You could then call to change it.
Thanks. Ill go ahead and hold it and continue to keep an eye out.

Any info if QR award spaces releases further down the road with AA?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:31 pm

Is the AA app normally bad at displaying correct availability on QR?
Today, found my preferred flights and plugging in all info it showed available, click through then get the error message one or more connections are not available?

Does availability come up at just past midnight for the next days availability like BA?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Looks like QR pulled some New Years availability from Asia. Bummer.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Tilly71
Is the AA app normally bad at displaying correct availability on QR?
Today, found my preferred flights and plugging in all info it showed available, click through then get the error message one or more connections are not available?

Does availability come up at just past midnight for the next days availability like BA?
If you can see availability on BA.com, call in to AA to book. Don’t bother with the AA website.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes

If you can see availability on BA.com, call in to AA to book. Don’t bother with the AA website.
I have had luck using Qantas as well. Not sure if they show the phantom availability that AA does, but the two flights on found on Qantas were available when I called AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.