Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Has anyone recently successfully found DOH-MEL or SYD in J? It seems SYD does not have either F or J but MEL has enough Fs. However I honestly dont want to pay the price to be in A380F because the J has the same access to the bar and the F seats are not private. We had DOH-BKK before. 2 days before departure the flight was filled by a Doha family, so instead of just us and 1 extra passenger up to that point the whole F cabin was full. It wasn't a comfortable flight esp because it was the 2am departure.
I did a lot of checking and research the past couple months trying to burn American Miles during a gap year for me and the wife. I was focusing on Qatar mainly, and wanted to book the long flights. During this time, I did not find any J awards for direct flights to South America or Australia/New Zealand. My takeaway was that they simply do not open any award space for certain long flights.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Flamenguista
I did a lot of checking and research the past couple months trying to burn American Miles during a gap year for me and the wife. I was focusing on Qatar mainly, and wanted to book the long flights. During this time, I did not find any J awards for direct flights to South America or Australia/New Zealand. My takeaway was that they simply do not open any award space for certain long flights.
There are plenty of awards available from Qatar to Australia - I have made several bookings between DOH and ADL and also one on CBR-DOH

Have also found availability on DOH-MEL
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flamenguista
They do. Just not to SYD, and only F to MEL. I saw sporadic availability to ADL, but never dawn on me to check CBR.

I dont have a set destination region to fly to from EU, though South Pacific / South Africa and Namibia / Asia 2 are among the consideration. Need to think about the home-coming portion as well. I can use multiple programs but of course try to use the lowest cost ones. Going EU-South Pacific, QR option is the lowest, and the products are the most desirable.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There are plenty of awards available from Qatar to Australia - I have made several bookings between DOH and ADL and also one on CBR-DOH

Thanks for bring up CBR.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I gather you were flying BA on the JNB-LHR segment? How much was the surcharge?

This routing would cost a lot more out of pocket cash than a CPT-DOH-US, or a CPT-JNB-DOH-US, whether the CPT-JNB is on BA flight number or a separately purchased LCC ticket.

DOH-CPT is much tougher to get than DOH-JNB. I second SFO777's suggestion to use Avios or buy an LCC ticket depending on how much you value your Avios. The JNB-CPT route is shuttle flight like one flight per hour thru out the day. Usually you can find inexpensive fares whether on Kulula.com or on Mango (SA's arm of LCC).
You are comparing apples and oranges. The Comair J surcharge is somewhere between $80 and $85 (US). A Mango Y seat is something like $65 to $70 (US). One is J and one is LCC Y.

Personally I'd happily pay the $20 USD difference and get a single ticket, bags checked through, lounge access and a way better seat.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cheltzel
You are comparing apples and oranges. The Comair J surcharge is somewhere between $80 and $85 (US). A Mango Y seat is something like $65 to $70 (US). One is J and one is LCC Y.

Personally I'd happily pay the $20 USD difference and get a single ticket, bags checked through, lounge access and a way better seat.
It is a 2 hours flight I dont care about if not sitting in J. Never fly Mango but the Kulula seat is quite comparable to US domestic coach and certainly better than BA, even its Club Europe business class which is no better than a coach seat with the stupid little block between 2 seats but the seat you actually sit in, is just as narrow as the coach seat.

For such a short segment I would look for the most convenient flight instead of trying to get the Comair segment as part of the ticket. In all 6 times we needed to use JNB, the connection time on the available JNB-CPT or CPT-JNB with Comair never worked anyway. We sure dont want to spend several hours at the airport just so we could be on Comair. Lounge access is given with the Priority Card we have. It has access to all 3rd party lounges at JNB. Never need a checked bag so those are non factors to us.
Sometimes having separate ticket actually has its own advantage in the case one wants a longer stay at Jo'burg than a layover.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:39 am

Took a flight in Nov 2017, have not seen the flights credit. If I request a credit today would it be credited to 2017 or 2018?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
It is a 2 hours flight I dont care about if not sitting in J. Never fly Mango but the Kulula seat is quite comparable to US domestic coach and certainly better than BA, even its Club Europe business class which is no better than a coach seat with the stupid little block between 2 seats but the seat you actually sit in, is just as narrow as the coach seat.

For such a short segment I would look for the most convenient flight instead of trying to get the Comair segment as part of the ticket. In all 6 times we needed to use JNB, the connection time on the available JNB-CPT or CPT-JNB with Comair never worked anyway. We sure dont want to spend several hours at the airport just so we could be on Comair. Lounge access is given with the Priority Card we have. It has access to all 3rd party lounges at JNB. Never need a checked bag so those are non factors to us.
Sometimes having separate ticket actually has its own advantage in the case one wants a longer stay at Jo'burg than a layover.
When we took it we had a very convenient connection. During my planning for the award i saw availability on at least 5 to 6 flights daily on Comair from CPT to JNB. The tightest availability was 4 flights. Our connection was something like 3.5 or 4 hours. But I tend to be conservative on making these kind of connections, I could have gotten one that was 2 hours. In any event, by the time we cleared all the formalities transferring at JNB we only had something like 3 hours in the BA F lounge so it wasn't bad at all.

The QR 77W flight to DOH (which seems to have the greatest award availability) departs at 13:10 and I see consistent availability on the Comair flight arriving at 11:00. There is availability on earlier flights depending on the exact travel date for more conservative connection planners like myself. We usually go to ZA for photo safaris and most of our hand baggage is taken up by cameras, lenses, etc. Out clothes are typically in checked baggage.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:50 am

LAX-DOH award

I've been searching for LAX-DOH award ticket but don't see any available for Nov-Dec. I was able to book the same award using AA miles last year around this time. Is QR not releasing award space anymore?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geewhy
I've been searching for LAX-DOH award ticket but don't see any available for Nov-Dec. I was able to book the same award using AA miles last year around this time. Is QR not releasing award space anymore?
Have you checked all days of the week? Or only weekend dates?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by newdaybegin
Anyone know why there is no J seat for DOH - MLE? I check everyday in October and it only show economy?
it comes and goes. I was able to snag 3 seats in for January 2018 back in October.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by babypuwet

it comes and goes. I was able to snag 3 seats in for January 2018 back in October.
Do you know what is the schedule for DOH - MLE? i mean do you know how often do they flight to MLE per week? I try to put up a trip in September for my parent! thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:21 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by newdaybegin
Do you know what is the schedule for DOH - MLE? i mean do you know how often do they flight to MLE per week? I try to put up a trip in September for my parent! thanks!
There are 2 daily flights:

[KVS Tool 8.7.8/Diamond - Timetable]
Code:
DOH  Doha Hamad Intl QA [OTHH]
MLE  Male Ibrahim Nasir Intl MV [VRMM]
SAT  01 Sep 2018 - 07 Sep 2018

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Frequency | Dur'n | Dep T | Arr T | Meals | Miles   Kms | Codeshare
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------------------------------------------------------------
QR         672     DOH   02:00     MLE   09:00     359  0   1234567     05:00       -       -   M        2060  3315
QR         674     DOH   08:15     MLE   15:15     359  0   1234567     05:00       -       -   M        2060  3315
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA,AS,UA
Originally Posted by SFO777
Your first problem is that the ME3 typically don't release award seats for Christmas/NY travel this far out.

Next problem is DOH-CPT, which is very difficult any time of the year. Try DOH-JNB, then add easy award seat JNB-CPT on BA/Comair.
Also, don't limit yourself to IAD. Try PHL-DOH, ATL-DOH, BOS-DOH or JFK-DOH.

But the bottom line is that finding Christmas available right now will likely be an exercise in futility.
First off, thanks to all for the amazing information from a long-time lurker, first-time poster!
I'm having the same experience not being able to find early January 2019 availability. I thought I had it all figured out--did a dummy booking back in December and found CPT-DOH-ORD-SAN, all in J for dates at the 330 day threshold with no problems. Plenty of long-haul availability on T,W,and Th into BOS, PHL, ORD, MIA...Fast forward to today, no availability for any dates <330 days out to any US gateway from DOH.
SFO777 said that ME3 don't release Christmas/NY seats this far out--any idea when they could be expected to release them? Wondering if I need to look at using another program (UA?) to get me home... Or maybe just need a bit more patience?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by geewhy
Qatar has almost no availability in any route these days. I don't know if this is related to the Jan Boutique Sale, but I have hundreds of thousands of miles in different programs and all of them show extremely reduced availability or none at all.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

Not anymore.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.