Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:59 pm

I've flown on a QR ticket with my AAdvantage number, 2 legs per each outbound and inbound.
It's been a week since the return trip, and the first three flights have posted to my AAdvantage account, but not the last leg of inbound. Should I call the AA EXP line and request the missing miles, or what's the simplest way to get them to post?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by matt85
I've flown on a QR ticket with my AAdvantage number, 2 legs per each outbound and inbound.
It's been a week since the return trip, and the first three flights have posted to my AAdvantage account, but not the last leg of inbound. Should I call the AA EXP line and request the missing miles, or what's the simplest way to get them to post?
A bunch of us have had this happen recently... 3 of 4 segments post, the other does not. If it is the same as ours, here is how we resolved it.
  1. Fill out the online form at AA to request the miles for the missing segment.
  2. Expect it will get denied because the miles were credited to a non-existent QR account. Assuming that is the case..
  3. Call AA and asked to be transferred to the Advantage desk.
  4. Explain the situation. Tell them QR said to talk to AA. (Talking to QR was a waste of time; 6+ emails/calls that got us nowhere.)
  5. They will start an investigation.
In my case, the miles were posted correctly a few days later.

Good luck
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:35 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Does QR still release F space at any frequency?

It used to be that I could ocassionally find F on 380 routes like BKK and CAN, but I haven't seen any availability in a while. Just J.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Lifetime GLD
I just grabbed a single DFW-DOH-DPS business class ticket departing Saturday 07Sep19. The AA agent originally couldn't see the DOH-DPS and thought I would need to call tomorrow, but she tried again and booked the whole ticket. Priced as two awards as expected (110K miles).

Ticket shows "on request", but hopefully that will change soon. EDIT: Ticketed by AA Friday evening (roughly 12 hours after initial reservation)

Edit: pulled up the record on the QR site and it shows confirmed, but sadly the seat map is not showing Q-Suites. Hopefully it will by next year.

Does anyone know how QR reassigns seats if/when they flip this plane to Q-Suites? Namely if I reserve 3A instead of 3B (for example) is that more likely to automatically map to 3A on the Q-Suites since both layouts have a 3A?

Last edited by Illini_Fan; Oct 12, 2018 at 7:28 pm Reason: added one more question
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
A bunch of us have had this happen recently... 3 of 4 segments post, the other does not. If it is the same as ours, here is how we resolved it.
  1. Fill out the online form at AA to request the miles for the missing segment.
  2. Expect it will get denied because the miles were credited to a non-existent QR account. Assuming that is the case..
  3. Call AA and asked to be transferred to the Advantage desk.
  4. Explain the situation. Tell them QR said to talk to AA. (Talking to QR was a waste of time; 6+ emails/calls that got us nowhere.)
  5. They will start an investigation.
In my case, the miles were posted correctly a few days later.

Good luck
+1. Well, waiting for my miles, but I am guessing they will post soon. 2/4 did not post for me. It's been frustrating, but I think on the final call I got a good AA agent that will sort this out. I even sent in boarding passes, email screenshots from QR saying the miles did not post to my QR FFP account, blah blah.

Wish they gave some bonus miles for this crap because it literally feels like an unpaid part time job chasing down these miles half the time. If I wasn't making out well from the Citi AA cards, I'd be very frustrated.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:38 pm

Please help me with this booking, very frustrated..
Want to book IAD-DOH-CPT
BA:
IAD-DOH available in business
DOH-CPT nothing available
Qantas:
IAD-DOH-CPT available in economy only (search IAD-CPT) why not show mixed ??
DOH-CPT nothing available (search using round trip trick CPT-DOH)
When I call AA, the agent see IAD-DOH in business and nothing on DOH-CPT, which is consistent with BA
I am actually okay with IAD-DOH in business and DOH-CPT in economy,
why can't AA see the economy space from DOH-CPT showing in Qantas
Is this a married segment thing? Since Qantas does not show DOH-CPT on its own without IAD..
Even when I asked the AA agent to search IAD-CPT in economy, she is still not able to find anything from DOH-CPT
How do people convince the agent to check the help desk? would that help??
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by panpan
Please help me with this booking, very frustrated..
Want to book IAD-DOH-CPT
BA:
DOH-CPT nothing available
Qantas:
IAD-DOH-CPT available in economy only (search IAD-CPT) why not show mixed ??
DOH-CPT nothing available (search using round trip trick CPT-DOH)
When I call AA, the agent see IAD-DOH in business and nothing on DOH-CPT, which is consistent with BA
I am actually okay with IAD-DOH in business and DOH-CPT in economy,
why can't AA see the economy space from DOH-CPT showing in Qantas
Is this a married segment thing? Since Qantas does not show DOH-CPT on its own without IAD..
Even when I asked the AA agent to search IAD-CPT in economy, she is still not able to find anything from DOH-CPT
How do people convince the agent to check the help desk? would that help??
I notice from searching BA, there is zero availability for DOH-CPT in any class from early july to end of august, but there are tons available every day, at least in economy before july and after august ..This seems off, like the award inventory is not loaded for July -August.. , is this normal for QR? will these missing period get loaded later? Not sure how long I can wait before the IAD-DOH business space is gone ..
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by swingaling
Put me down as another person who’s having trouble getting QR to credit miles to my AA account. Recently flew 4 QR segments as part of an AA ticket (001 stock). Two QR segments posted, but the other two did not. AA asked me to submit a copy of the ticket and boarding passes. Hoping that does the trick.

FWIW, I don’t have a QRPC account, just an AA account and my AA FFN was on all BPs.
The miles from my recent (early Sept) QR flights finally posted today. Took three calls to AA, submitting my ticket and BP twice and then allowing QR 30 days to credit.

On the third and final call a few days ago, the miles had still not posted. So the AA rep sent off an email and told me the miles would post in 5-10 days. The ticket was an AA fare (001 plated), so AA could clearly see that I’d flown the QR segments in question. Not sure if that had anything to do with AA’s ability to manually post the miles finally.

That said, I have an upcoming trip in QR J (ARN-AKL r/t) on QR ticket stock. Really not looking forward to fighting to get those flights to credit after the fact yet again.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Hey all, quick question - should MLE-CMB-DOH-ORD be priced at 70K miles for a business award ticket? agents are saying that they can't see it for 70K but only for 115. MLE-CMB is on Sri Lankan, if that makes a difference. Since its indian subcontinent to the US, shouldn't it be 70K regardless of the number of connections?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:26 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by rvlcr
Hey all, quick question - should MLE-CMB-DOH-ORD be priced at 70K miles for a business award ticket? agents are saying that they can't see it for 70K but only for 115. MLE-CMB is on Sri Lankan, if that makes a difference. Since its indian subcontinent to the US, shouldn't it be 70K regardless of the number of connections?
Two possible things I think are creating issues for you...

MLE-CMB backtracking is potentially exceeding the MPM for MLE-ORD.

One of the connection is longer than 24 hours.

Yes an MLE-ORD award in biz should be 70K.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by rvlcr
An outcome for 70K would likely be MLE-CMB-AUH(UL)-ORD(EY)
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
thanks. i was able to get it through for 70K miles. the second agent i spoke to was very knowledgeable and got everything done in 5 minutes.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Over the last decade I have redeemed numerous CX US west coast to Asia business class awards over US Thanksgiving and Christmas. Initially I was using Avios which got me early inventory access but I learned to work with the 330 day Aadvantage booking window and we had some great trips. In Dec 2019 we are planning a family trip to India and I am contemplating using QR via DOH since we will be flying either CX or AA home on paid tickets via the Pacific.

I see that QR seems to release 4 biz awards on the LAX and DFW flights and even looking at only 330 days out there seems to be a decent bit of inventory left for Aadvantage redemptions. How about in mid To late December? We’ll need 5 tix and are fine splitting up between LAX and DFW.

Looking for advice from someone who has experience booking multiple biz awards on QR to DOH at the beginning of Christmas holidays so i can start the planning process.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stephem
Over the last decade I have redeemed numerous CX US west coast to Asia business class awards over US Thanksgiving and Christmas. Initially I was using Avios which got me early inventory access but I learned to work with the 330 day Aadvantage booking window and we had some great trips. In Dec 2019 we are planning a family trip to India and I am contemplating using QR via DOH since we will be flying either CX or AA home on paid tickets via the Pacific.

I see that QR seems to release 4 biz awards on the LAX and DFW flights and even looking at only 330 days out there seems to be a decent bit of inventory left for Aadvantage redemptions. How about in mid To late December? We’ll need 5 tix and are fine splitting up between LAX and DFW.

Looking for advice from someone who has experience booking multiple biz awards on QR to DOH at the beginning of Christmas holidays so i can start the planning process.
QR awards are now available on AA.com, makes it easier for your search.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Hollinger Clarke
QR awards are now available on AA.com, makes it easier for your search.
...but for how much longer? AAB is starting to talk smack about ditching OW (and his primary beef is with AA), and if DP doesn't budge...we could all be looking at a smaller, sadder version of OW in a year... (fingers crossed that doesn't happen of course)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.