FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1523205-qatar-airways-qr-redeem-aa-miles-award-master-thd.html)

sam007 Jan 3, 2018 2:51 pm

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

guys - i'm getting horrible availability calling into american to book qatar reward flights. Is there another program that has better availability? Currently checking JFK-BOM for nov and dec and they said they have 0 in business and coach

thx

remdk Jan 3, 2018 5:13 pm

sam007 if neither AA nor QR have any availability then it is very likely that there are no reward seats available. There may be closer to flight date!
Why not look at other origins such as BOS?

guv1976 Jan 3, 2018 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by remdk (Post 29246719)
sam007 if neither AA nor QR have any availability then it is very likely that there are no reward seats available. There may be closer to flight date!
Why not look at other origins such as BOS?

Since the OP is using AA miles, I'd suggest that he call AA and inquire about award-seat availability on AA partners CX and EY from JFK to BOM. ;)

sam007 Jan 3, 2018 5:29 pm

ok, does anybody know how many aadvantage miles are required for a qsuite award flight BOM-JFK on business and is it the same as all their business flights - 70k miles?

Ben_W Jan 4, 2018 12:16 am

Originally Posted by sam007 (Post 29246785)
ok, does anybody know how many aadvantage miles are required for a qsuite award flight BOM-JFK on business and is it the same as all their business flights - 70k miles?

I believe it is 70k.
Here is the AA Oneworld award chart;
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ward-chart.jsp

When using AA mile, I always check the availability on the QA website first. I often check the BA website too as they normally tell you how many award seats are available.

Mwenenzi Jan 4, 2018 12:47 am

Originally Posted by sam007 (Post 29246194)
I'm getting horrible availability calling into American to book Qatar reward flights. Is there another program that has better availability? Currently checking JFK-BOM for Nov and Dec and they said they have 0 in business and coach

Is this Nov 2018 & Dec 2018? AA only books 330 days out.
Are you looking asking for JFK-DOH-BOM (not JFK-BOM)?

Nominally all ffps' have the same OW award availability. But it does seem to vary in practise. Not unusual to get better award availability on the airline of the ffp, compared to partners.

AA forum thread QR / Qatar Airways oneworld Partner: Earn and Redeem AA Miles

ckx2 Jan 4, 2018 3:04 am

Seems like QR hasn't released JFK-DOH yet, because I can find DOH-BOM plenty available in Nov/Dec. However, JFK-LHR-BOM on BA is available widespread in November.

cheltzel Jan 4, 2018 4:40 am

Originally Posted by ckx2 (Post 29248180)
Seems like QR hasn't released JFK-DOH yet, because I can find DOH-BOM plenty available in Nov/Dec. However, JFK-LHR-BOM on BA is available widespread in November.

Looks like JFK-DOH and IAD-DOH availability in November is nonexistent.. There is business and coach availability on BOS-DOH several days in November, searching for 2 seats.

remdk Jan 4, 2018 5:04 am

Dave Noble I think you will find that the Indian Subcontinent is a part of IATA area 3 "Asia, Guam, Southwest Pacific" while DOH is in area 2.

Dave Noble Jan 4, 2018 5:43 am

Originally Posted by remdk (Post 29248403)
Dave Noble I think you will find that the Indian Subcontinent is a part of IATA area 3 "Asia, Guam, Southwest Pacific" while DOH is in area 2.

Doha is in the Middle East for AA award region definition
Middle East and Indian Subcontinent count as a single region for routing

IATA definitions are irrelevant, what matters is the definitions as listed at https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ward-chart.jsp

sam007 Jan 4, 2018 6:53 am

well i can't just book DOH-BOM now and JFK- BOM later as it'll turn out to use many more miles When do you think they'll release JFK-BOM for nov/dec travel and any way to get alerted? expertflyer doesn't support this airline

Dave Noble Jan 4, 2018 6:55 am

Originally Posted by sam007 (Post 29248722)
well i can't just book DOH-BOM now and JFK- BOM later as it'll turn out to use many more miles When do you think they'll release JFK-BOM for nov/dec travel and any way to get alerted? expertflyer doesn't support this airline

You may be able to do it without extra miles and just paying a $150 redeposit/reissue fee as long as you get an agent that will do it

Youngtraveldude Jan 6, 2018 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Youngtraveldude (Post 28651860)
Thanks! 70K CX USA-Asia 2 is business, right? It's 110K in first?

Back to figuring our our return from our honeymoon to SE Asia in June and I'm hoping someone can confirm how much certain routes will cost. Currently looking at the following options:

1) KUL-HKG-US on CX
KUL-HKG = 30/40K aa miles (biz/first)
HKG-US = 70K/100K (biz/first)

2) KUL-DOH-US on QR
KUL-DOH = 40/50K aa miles (biz/first)
DOH-US = 70/115 aa miles (biz/first

3) KUL-NRT-US on JAL
KUL-NRT = 30/40K aa miles (biz/first)
NRT/HND-US = 60/80K miles (biz/first)

Is that accurate? Also, can any of the above be booked on one reservation (even if the costs for both legs are their own)?

Also, in terms of availability, will I possible find better or different availability if I split up the legs? I.e. look at KUL-HKG as one award/segment and then separately look for HKG-US.

We're flying CX first (one first/one biz currently) US-HKG and still need to book HKG-KUL. The criteria for selecting the return are availability, flight times (try to maximize trip) and cost (might not be an issue if we have enough miles).

Thanks in advance!

flyingeph12 Jan 6, 2018 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Youngtraveldude (Post 29259105)
Back to figuring our our return from our honeymoon to SE Asia in June and I'm hoping someone can confirm how much certain routes will cost. Currently looking at the following options:

1) KUL-HKG-US on CX
KUL-HKG = 30/40K aa miles (biz/first)
HKG-US = 70K/100K (biz/first)

2) KUL-DOH-US on QR
KUL-DOH = 40/50K aa miles (biz/first)
DOH-US = 70/115 aa miles (biz/first

3) KUL-NRT-US on JAL
KUL-NRT = 30/40K aa miles (biz/first)
NRT/HND-US = 60/80K miles (biz/first)

Is that accurate? Also, can any of the above be booked on one reservation (even if the costs for both legs are their own)?

Also, in terms of availability, will I possible find better or different availability if I split up the legs? I.e. look at KUL-HKG as one award/segment and then separately look for HKG-US.

We're flying CX first (one first/one biz currently) US-HKG and still need to book HKG-KUL. The criteria for selecting the return are availability, flight times (try to maximize trip) and cost (might not be an issue if we have enough miles).

Thanks in advance!

(1) and (3) can usually be booked as 1 award with a total cost of 70K miles in business class or 110K miles in first. (2) will require two different awards: KUL-DOH will be one award costing 40K or 50K for business or first, respectively; and DOH-US will be another award costing 70K or 115K miles. In all instances, even if multiple awards are required, you can book everything in 1 PNR.

Generally, in my experience, it will not make a difference in terms of availability if you split up the legs. In my experience, I have not run into issues with married segments with the airlines that will be relevant for you. Note also that you can use multiple airlines on 1 award. For example, you could do KUL-NRT on MH, and then NRT-US on JL or AA, and pay 70K miles in business class. I think the best way to search for availability (unless you are looking for availability on AA) is to use BA's search engine and search by segment.

You can book HKG-KUL separately and pay the appropriate additional mileage (I might look into using Avios if you can instead of AA miles in this case). Or you could add the HKG-KUL segment to your existing US-HKG award and pay the $150 change fee.

Youngtraveldude Jan 7, 2018 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 29259239)

You can book HKG-KUL separately and pay the appropriate additional mileage (I might look into using Avios if you can instead of AA miles in this case). Or you could add the HKG-KUL segment to your existing US-HKG award and pay the $150 change fee.

Super helpful, thank you! That should do it for now but I'll let ya know if I get any more questions along the way :)