Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA G, UA, HH G
Pleased to report my missing JNB-DOH, DOH-PHL legs were reinstated, same flights, same times, even the same seats. 25th Anniversary Trip to Kruger/Cape Town back on! Thanks and Happy New Year.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by isabeloh
Pleased to report my missing JNB-DOH, DOH-PHL legs were reinstated, same flights, same times, even the same seats. 25th Anniversary Trip to Kruger/Cape Town back on! Thanks and Happy New Year.
Good to hear - what I would have expected though given it was the airline that messed up
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by isabeloh
I'm having the same issue. The last two legs of my flight are still missing from ORD-DOH-MLE. I've called 3 times in the last week and they keep telling me they are waiting on their Qatar liaison. They've been missing for 10 days now...
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by rinipiyan
Has anyone been successfully finding QR A380 F availability at all? I know that LHR is no longer bookable, but CDG, BKK, SYD and CAN are completely blank too in both AA and BA search.
I have the same question. Trying to book BKK-DOH in first to take advantage of the sleeping rooms and no F is showing for the next year. Checked QF, AA and AwardNexus. I checked DOH-FRA and at least on AA there is availability in F showing, so it seems like some routes do have it. But has anyone successfully booked BKK-DOH in F recently?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
I’m not at my computer but I read last night that QR is pulling its QSuites off of the BKK route.. try Googling that...
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:31 pm

They are removing Qsuites after from one of the flights; however, that shouldn't impact first class because they're still flying the daily A380 flight. It seems like they're just not releasing any F awards on this route.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
... try Googling that...
Apparently many do If you have autocomplete enabled, google "Which routes " and see the first autocomplete option.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Sorry didn’t mean to seem cursory there. Easy to meet the FT dragons!

Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by AboutTreeFiddy
They are removing Qsuites after from one of the flights; however, that shouldn't impact first class because they're still flying the daily A380 flight. It seems like they're just not releasing any F awards on this route.
you’re correct, my apologies.

That said I have not once seen a seat in F originating Europe...
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Data point to add. May be useful to someone so being a good forum citizen :-)
  • Had held a reservation for next November earlier this week: RST>ORD>DOH>HKT. 2 people in business (all except RST>ORD which is single class).
  • Background - I have Executive platinum status, my husband has none. These required two rewards per person since we are not going the aa-prescribed route but no issue putting them into a single PNR
  • Booked today. Went to two PNR (one for each traveler) because of where we had the miles located. AA agent linked the records but I don't find that very reliable so planned to double check later with both AA and Qatar. This really isn't a big deal for us as long as each person is on one locator for the whole trip. No opportunity for an upgrade for us here so that isn't a concern either. FYI, we have had good luck with Qatar staff in ORD finding our luggage and through checking it for us on separate PNR but it is a hassle that is best avoided.
  • I requested the Qatar record locators at booking and got them.
  • Flights appeared "on request" in AA.com immediately after call.
  • Immediately I went out to Qatarairways.com and the booking numbers were recognized. Couldn't book the Qsuites (they were blocked). I'm guessing from what I read here that was because my husband and I were on different locator numbers.
  • Called Qatar within minutes, gave her the Qatar locators and asked about getting the middle seats. I did mention I was emerald but that didn't matter or could already see that in the record. The agent happily put us in 3E and 3F on the ORD flight and the seats we wanted on the non-Qsuite flight.
  • Went back to AA.com and the new seats already appeared and the ticket was now listed as "ticketed". Fastest I've seen that happen!
An interesting side note: while my seats were on hold, I was looking for other possible routes. Before, during and now(I was curious), the flights continue to show 2 available business class seats

For what it is worth,
AJ
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:23 pm

Earning AAdvantage EQM and EQD on Qatar

Happy New Year.

On the AADvantage Partner chart when I look at Qatar, it shows as of 2016.

I thought I read somewhere a chart as of Jan 1 2019. Has anyone else seen this or know where it is. Yes, I checked AA.com

The reason I ask, Jan 22 I'm flying DFW-DOH-BKK in Biz - R code. The EQD moved from 20% to 30% on the new chart.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
The 2019 changes are just for joint venture partners BA, IB, AY, JL.

No love for QR, CX, etc.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
I have an IAD-DOH-MLE segment booked in J for 70k miles that I'm very happy about! It's an almost perfect itinerary except for the 14-hour layover in DOH and 5:20am flight from DOH to MLE. I see that QR also operates an earlier flight (QR 672) that departs at 2am and arrives at 9am in MLE, but I seldom see any award availability on this segment. Any idea if space will open up closer to departure? Will AA be able to open space on this route?
I can answer my own question! An empty award seat appeared today on the earlier QR 672 flight so I switched to that. Moral of the story- keep checking the schedule!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
I can answer my own question! An empty award seat appeared today on the earlier QR 672 flight so I switched to that. Moral of the story- keep checking the schedule!
Just to clarify, because I'm hoping to do the same thing on the same flights - you just called up AA to have them change the last leg once the QR 672 flight became available? I'm confusing myself on what's possible pre-booking and what's possible to change post-booking with all this married segment stuff.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:37 pm

Let's say availability on a certain route (in my case JNB-DOH-DFW) is a real one (confirmed each leg's availability on BA site); however, AA only shows very convoluted ways to reach my destination (one of the examples : instead of JNB-DOH-DFW they give me JNB-DOH-PHL-CLT-DFW, so they suggest taking 4 flights instead of 2 despite of having individual flight availability JNB-DOH and DOH-DFW).
Is there a way to uncouple these married segments? I called AA and their agent said there is no way, it is what it is. I know I should eventually try a different agent but thought I would ask here first if that is true. If it is - it's more than weird...I mean - with availability existing for more direct routing, they still want to take you the longest way possible??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.