Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by oliver_dvs
Anyone having trouble to get QR crediting flights? It's been almost a month now and still nothing. Submitted a missing miles request about 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything back. Called EXP desk but the response is (unsurprisingly) to wait for 30 days. Any tips on expediting the process?
My flights about a week ago posted before I landed (2-segment flight, and both segments posted before I arrived at my destination). IME, QR posts flights before I arrive at my destination most of the time (not layovers at DOH).
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:35 pm

I'm seeing hardly anything available on QR, what's the next best way to get to South Africa from the States?

I was looking at BA redemptions, 120k for First and a large co-pay. I've never flown with them so it'd be neat to experience a classic 747 in the nose and an a380 but I'm not sure.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
I'm seeing hardly anything available on QR, what's the next best way to get to South Africa from the States?

I was looking at BA redemptions, 120k for First and a large co-pay. I've never flown with them so it'd be neat to experience a classic 747 in the nose and an a380 but I'm not sure.
I'd look into redeeming UA miles for ET or SA J class.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

Outside of QR, BA via LHR or IB via MAD are about your only options to do it as a single award. If you can find AA space to Europe and then use BA or IB from there, your surcharges will be a lot easier to stomach.

For example, using only BA for an F award JFK-LHR-JNB comes with a nauseating $854 in taxes/fees. But if you use AA for the JFK-LHR flight, that drops to $376. And BA F is certainly not worth $500 more than AA F for that 6 hr flight.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE

Personally, I would take the BA F in the 777 or the 380 over the 747. I find the nose of the 747 in BA F a bit cramped and the footwell is small. As always, YMMV.

Last edited by cheltzel; Mar 16, 2018 at 2:09 pm
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: US, HH
Anyone having trouble to get QR crediting flights? It's been almost a month now and still nothing. Submitted a missing miles request about 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything back. Called EXP desk but the response is (unsurprisingly) to wait for 30 days. Any tips on expediting the process?
Next time you call, insist on sending your boarding pass and ticket receipt. 3 of my 4 segments posted next day but the 4th required the bp and ticket receipt before they would credit it (after 2 missing miles requests and 3 phone calls and lots of waiting).
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Did you submit the missing credit report on the web or by calling? I'd suggest calling Aadvantage Customer Service and asking the agent to check.

While BA F is nothing to write home about, if you've never flown row 1 on a 747 it's worth doing, as it's fun to be able to see essentially forward while flying. However, be aware that BA won't allocate row 1 in advance except to OneWorld Emeralds. 1A and 1K are quite close to each other, so it's best to fly with a friend, but unless both are OW Emerald it's risky.

If you have the miles for it (these would all be two awards), I'd fly EY F to AUH and then connect in J to South Africa. Or use QR in J. Or CX via HKG.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
Just book one stop to DOH on QR through PHL. Thinking about changing that to Boston so I avoid the old US Airways 737 first. I’d love to find non-stop availability from ORD >DOH for my flight beginning of April but I don’t think that will happen. Flying from Chicago, looks like Qsuites start on April one, probably why there is no non-stop availability.

Anybody with any knowledge know whether they will open up business seats closer to departure here? The loads look fairly low.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: QR Platinum (OWE) / BA GOLD (OWE)/ CI Emerald (ST E+)/ SQ PPS (*G)
Originally Posted by GrjApp

Next time you call, insist on sending your boarding pass and ticket receipt. 3 of my 4 segments posted next day but the 4th required the bp and ticket receipt before they would credit it (after 2 missing miles requests and 3 phone calls and lots of waiting).
Thanks for the tip, I called and offered to send my boarding passes and ticket receipt. I'm in a similar situation (but with only 1/4 segment credited)... I wonder if contacting QR would help (since it's most likely their fault). BTW How long did you have to wait?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danhunterpost
Just book one stop to DOH on QR through PHL. Thinking about changing that to Boston so I avoid the old US Airways 737 first. I’d love to find non-stop availability from ORD >DOH for my flight beginning of April but I don’t think that will happen. Flying from Chicago, looks like Qsuites start on April one, probably why there is no non-stop availability.

Anybody with any knowledge know whether they will open up business seats closer to departure here? The loads look fairly low.
There are no old US Airways 737's flying and there haven't been for years.

In any case, ORD-PHL-DOH will be a MUCH easier connection than ORD-BOS-DOH. Connecting in BOS will require you to exit landside from your AA flight, walk or take the bus over to Terminal E, and re-clear security there.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by anabolism
While BA F is nothing to write home about, if you've never flown row 1 on a 747 it's worth doing, as it's fun to be able to see essentially forward while flying. However, be aware that BA won't allocate row 1 in advance except to OneWorld Emeralds. 1A and 1K are quite close to each other, so it's best to fly with a friend, but unless both are OW Emerald it's risky.

If you have the miles for it (these would all be two awards), I'd fly EY F to AUH and then connect in J to South Africa. Or use QR in J. Or CX via HKG.
Those are all great ideas, they actually triggered me to check Singapore award availability from the US-JNB which is only 102k points in J.

The BA surcharges seem to be lower than I remembered, just over $500 for JNB-IAD in F. I'd be willing to do that to kick the F on the 747 and a380 off the bucket list, plus I've never done BA long haul which is a staple of av history, even if they've fallen behind in the past decade.

Thanks for the tips, I'm getting excited now.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those are all great ideas, they actually triggered me to check Singapore award availability from the US-JNB which is only 102k points in J.

The BA surcharges seem to be lower than I remembered, just over $500 for JNB-IAD in F. I'd be willing to do that to kick the F on the 747 and a380 off the bucket list, plus I've never done BA long haul which is a staple of av history, even if they've fallen behind in the past decade.

Thanks for the tips, I'm getting excited now.
The fuel surcharges vary depending on your country of origin and destination. As mentioned above, if you were to book the reverse IAD-LHR-JNB in BA F, they would be over $850.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
There are no old US Airways 737's flying and there haven't been for years.

In any case, ORD-PHL-DOH will be a MUCH easier connection than ORD-BOS-DOH. Connecting in BOS will require you to exit landside from your AA flight, walk or take the bus over to Terminal E, and re-clear security there.
Thanks. I guess I was misinformed that the AA first class planes with no IFE or WiFi came from US Airways. I am a star alliance flier but had some AA miles to burn for this trip. I'll take your advice and keep my connection in PHL for now but does anyone have any insight into how Qatar releases award space. I'm still hoping to get on the non-stop.

THanks.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:18 am

QR to AA JFK Vs IAH

Hello, I have a question about transferring from QR International arrival to AA domestic -

Assume the following: Yes for Global entry; Yes for checked baggage ; Separate tickets (Not sure if bags will be interlined to AA);
Connect time = approx. 120 minutes.

In this case, which is easier? IAH (Houston Bush) Versus JFK New York?
I have absolutely zero experience with JFK.

I have transferred at IAH....but only with Star Alliance / UA.... ...UA re-check is of course easy at IAH...as they have a huge presence.

Unsure whether IAH or JFK will be easier in terms of Re-checking luggage without much hauling around.....
I want to say that IAH should be easier for actually changing terminals (due to familiarity).

Thoughts? Thank you in advance.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Hello, I have a question about transferring from QR International arrival to AA domestic -

Assume the following: Yes for Global entry; Yes for checked baggage ; Separate tickets (Not sure if bags will be interlined to AA);
Connect time = approx. 120 minutes.

In this case, which is easier? IAH (Houston Bush) Versus JFK New York?
I have absolutely zero experience with JFK.

I have transferred at IAH....but only with Star Alliance / UA.... ...UA re-check is of course easy at IAH...as they have a huge presence.

Unsure whether IAH or JFK will be easier in terms of Re-checking luggage without much hauling around.....
I want to say that IAH should be easier for actually changing terminals (due to familiarity).

Thoughts? Thank you in advance.
This depends on which QR flight you're on into JFK.

If you're on the mid afternoon arrival (77W), then JFK will be much easier. This flight arrives into T8 at JFK, same terminal AA uses. There will be an AA baggage re-check desk immediately after customs and immigration, you can drop your bag there, then proceed upstairs through security to your AA flight.

The early morning QR flight (359) arrives into T7 at JFK. So after customs and immigration, you'll have to go outside and up to the AirTrain and take it one stop over to T8, where you can check in for your AA flight.

At IAH, QR uses Terminal D and AA uses Terminal A. Basically the same as the T7 arrival into JFK above, after you clear formalities you take the subway train over to Term. A and check in with AA.

Where is your final destination? I'd probably go with JFK either way, the connection will either be much easier or about the same, and you can use the nicer Flagship Lounge as well, especially if a shower is on your agenda.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.