Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 QR / Qatar Airways: Earn & Redeem AA Miles, Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The current thread can be found here.

link to QR Travel Alerts)[/quote]

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You cannot check QR availability on aa.com. You must check QR availability elsewhere, and then call AA on the phone to book the award. (There is no booking fee.)

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Doha Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge for qualifying passengers on BA, CX, RJ, UL.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

The archived posts from 2017 can be found here.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 QR / Qatar Airways: Earn & Redeem AA Miles, Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:34 am

She said she did "sector" too. My final destination is actually Miami. She said she did CPT to Doha and Doha to Miami individually, but the CPT - Doha sector returns "unconfirmed" seat.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by flybie
She said she did "sector" too. My final destination is actually Miami. She said she did CPT to Doha and Doha to Miami individually, but the CPT - Doha sector returns "unconfirmed" seat.
This issue with QR awards being unconfirmed is being discussed here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thd-89.html
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by LukeO9
I just got confirmation that bags can be checked though on a DOH-MCT-AUH connection between QR and EY, as long as the ticket number does not change.
I have now been informed that this is NOT the case.
No bags checked through to UAE.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by javabytes
Not quite that instant for me, but within a day. This was about a month ago.
miles from recent QR flights showed up in my AA account. Yeah, sound like it's 1-2 days right now.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by krdvg
I tried again today for the ticket I was looking for NBO-DOH-LAX, same issues as Friday. Agent could see the seats but at some final step it wasn't going through. I will try the Australia number tomorrow if the seat is still there.
Figured I'd sign up to share my experience.

British Airways site was showing availability for 3 business class seats from DOH-JFK in February. When I called AA Friday, Saturday and Sunday they could see the 3 seats available but when they attempted to grab 2 of the seats for me it would come back as unconfirmed. I tried both USA and Australian call centers.

On Monday I tried the Australian call center again and was routed to the call center in Trinidad. Finally, they were able to grab the 2 seats for me.

It might be worth mentioning that one of the agents I spoke to over the weekend mentioned that when issues like this occur they tend to clear up on Mondays. I don't know if that's what happened in my case or it was just a coincidence.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:54 pm
Community Director Emerita

Welcome to FlyerTalk, vinbrando. Hope you stick around and keep sharing travel information with us.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:29 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by JonNYC
no
Has AA completely blocked all QR and EY space?
I have a few trips that they can only see economy

I tried US, UK, Trinidad (after hrs for NZ) and Fiji (Australia center)
All report no premium cabin space multiple days
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ffI

Only if it has been blocked really recently. I booked a SYD-LHR on QR with no issues a few days ago
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:41 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Thanks for the QR data point
I am also unable to get any space on EY which used to be a gimme at anytime.
The website shows space for partners but AA does not see the premium space, only the economy!

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Only if it has been blocked really recently. I booked a SYD-LHR on QR with no issues a few days ago
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by ffI

I just booked QR DOH-JFK two days ago so I don't think they're blocked. EY on the other hand isn't showing any first or business to the US.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flybie
Hello, I was just on the call with AA. I have flight from CPT to JNB to Doha, and then I searched BA and Qatar has CPT to Doha direct flight. I called AA to make the change, but they said Qata is not allowing AA to book that "new" route/market using aa miles. Is that true? Meaning, any experiences here that I can get that flight booked? I would prefer flying directly from CPT to Doha.

Thank you
No it is not a "new" route. We flew DOH-CPT in August that was booked last Nov or Dec.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Happy
No it is not a "new" route. We flew DOH-CPT in August that was booked last Nov or Dec.
I flew it in March. Definitely not a new route.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by washeelers747
How quickly QR flights credit show up on AA accounts lately? Last Spring, QR flights credit instantly show up in my AA account (literally once I get off from plane at PHL!), but not right now. Just was wondering about current datapoints.
Originally Posted by washeelers747
miles from recent QR flights showed up in my AA account. Yeah, sound like it's 1-2 days right now.
I'm sitting in the lounge at DOH having just arrived on a QR flight credited to AA. The miles from the flight were in my AA account before we landed at DOH ^
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Austin Cox
I ran into this issue as well. I was trying to book DOH-JFK on May 22nd 2018 in business. I found award availability on BA's website for that day (and many other days) and called AA US to book. They found availability but the agent then mentioned that the relationship with QR is ending and so they are unable to book any award flights past October 31st of this year. I didn't feel like arguing, so I called AA Australia to book. While she found availability, she wasn't able to book the flight. She didn't mention anything about the relationship ending, but did say that QR just isn't releasing any award space to AA (whether this only applied to flights after Oct 31st, or certain routes, I'm not sure).
Quick Update: A few days later I called AA US again and was able to book DOH-BOS no problem since it was one of the only available routes for my dates.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Tried booking February QR flights to no avail despite loads of availability on BA.com.

Struck out with 3 US agents and 2 Aussie (Fiji) agents.
The last Fiji agent claimed "American's agreement with Qatar has ceased."
After I asked how that was possible since QR is past of One World, she then claimed "Qatar is leaving One World". When I asked for a time frame, she stated "at the end of the year".

No EY and no QR. Pretty soon, AAdvantage will be as useless as Sky Miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.