Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

QR / Qatar Airways: Earn & Redeem AA Miles, Award [ARCHIVE]

QR / Qatar Airways: Earn & Redeem AA Miles, Award [ARCHIVE]

Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:23 pm

Called a couple of times to try to switch my July flight on QR to EY in J. Couldn't get AA to waive fees. I have EY fight on hold.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AlexTheMan
Called a couple of times to try to switch my July flight on QR to EY in J. Couldn't get AA to waive fees. I have EY fight on hold.
They let you hold an overlapping itinerary?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Is that because your original itinerary is not affected?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by shgroamer
They let you hold an overlapping itinerary?
There is no reason why it wouldn't be possible

Holding A-B on 1 carrier and A-B on a different carrier is not an overlap that will be picked up by an airline
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:34 am

Why would you change it if your destination isn't one of the nations blocking QR?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by largeeyes
Why would you change it if your destination isn't one of the nations blocking QR?
EY is a UAE carrier...so it's clear here that their destination is one of those nations...
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is no reason why it wouldn't be possible

Holding A-B on 1 carrier and A-B on a different carrier is not an overlap that will be picked up by an airline
AA won't let you hold overlapping awards...doesn't matter if it's different carriers. At least in my experience
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:30 am

My flight is IAH-DOH-CAI so it is affected.

AA agent is the one suggested putting a 5 day hold on another route through EY. He did and I see the second reservation. I think you cannot hold 2 reservations, but my original one is already ticketed.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:52 am

AA agent is the one suggested putting a 5 day hold on another route through EY. He did and I see the second reservation. I think you cannot hold 2 reservations, but my original one is already ticketed.
ahhh gotcha... makes sense. I may do the same then.

Tried to see where I can get by asking via Twitter (they are usually pretty responsive to me). Asked if they could change with no fee and if I should talk to them or QR and they came back with this:

"You'll want to work with us directly, [omitted]. We know it's frustrating when your travels get disrupted and we're happy to help as much as we can. What we can offer you here is to refund all the miles and charges back to the original form of payment. If you're still interested in traveling, which we'd love to see you, we recommend working with our reservation pros via 800-882-8880 to search all possibilities. Our team will take excellent care of you if you choose the second option."

Still unclear if they would switch destination from DXB to AUH without charge, but if I can cancel with no penalty and rebook, it's the same thing essentially.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
EY is a UAE carrier...so it's clear here that their destination is one of those nations...
I think what largeeyes was stating, like my response to AlextheMan, is that the OP hadn't listed the flight destinations.

Last edited by LukeO9; Jun 7, 2017 at 2:56 pm
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:02 am

I can fly TXL-DOH-BKK and not be affected by the ban. EY flies the same route. There would be no reason, in that case, to change the flights. Now that the poster has given the destination, it makes sense.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 8:42 am

I can fly TXL-DOH-BKK and not be affected by the ban. EY flies the same route. There would be no reason, in that case, to change the flights. Now that the poster has given the destination, it makes sense.
lol ok. You made your really far reaching point. Congrats.

Anyway, on to some relevant info for others in this thread...

I called AA and they agreed to waive changes. They even offered BKK-LHR-DXB on BA (no way, for me at least) and a few EY routes into AUH as a change option. If you're on an award ticket via AA in the next several weeks, might not be a bad idea to try to make a change.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 9:44 am

lol ok. You made your really far reaching point. Congrats.

Anyway, on to some relevant info for others in this thread...

I called AA and they agreed to waive changes. They even offered BKK-LHR-DXB on BA (no way, for me at least) and a few EY routes into AUH as a change option. If you're on an award ticket via AA in the next several weeks, might not be a bad idea to try to make a change.
Nice. Did you end up snagging the BKK-SIN-AUH routing on CX J/EY F or go with the nonstop in EY J?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
Nice. Did you end up snagging the BKK-SIN-AUH routing on CX J/EY F or go with the nonstop in EY J?
I'm still sitting on it...There's an option to go through HKG as well, and leave the previous night and cut out a night in BKK (we are spending 4 days there on front end of trip). It might be nice to just connect from our interior-Thailand flight directly to our next one. Working through all of that now and trying to figure out best course of action.

I like the BKK-SIN-AUH option, but I don't want to deal with getting from Abu Dhabi to Dubai late at night (renting a car, staying in Dubai, then leaving from AUH a few days later). I'd prefer DXB I think
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:46 am
Community Director Emerita

Is American now blocking awards on Qatar from DOH to the USA? That's what an agent just told me. I am attempting to book an award ticket in 2018 from Africa to DOH to LAX. The first leg is easily available in the AA system. DOH-LAX shows as available but cannot be confirmed. An agent yesterday told me to call back today, that he thought the system might reset at midnight. Today, the agent went and conferred several times with others. She repeatedly said it was due to the diplomatic issues in the Middle East. I have little confidence in her answer, but the reality is that she could not confirm space.

@JonNYC

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.