Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being youll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that arent for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards offline, and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by vprp
Is there a link to the published fare routing routes?

I want to do ICN->MLE and am wondering if ICN->DOH->MLE would be possible. ICN is Asia 1, DOH is Middle East and MLE is Indian subcontinent. I saw an article stating Asia 1 to India via Asia 2 is possible but wondering if a DOH connection would be possible as well. 40,000 miles for one way in business class for this flight would be awesome.
Middle East and Indian Subcontinent are still treated as the same region for 3rd region routing purposes. ICN-DOH-MLE should be no problem as a single award.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by vprp
Is there a link to the published fare routing routes?

I want to do ICN->MLE and am wondering if ICN->DOH->MLE would be possible. ICN is Asia 1, DOH is Middle East and MLE is Indian subcontinent. I saw an article stating Asia 1 to India via Asia 2 is possible but wondering if a DOH connection would be possible as well. 40,000 miles for one way in business class for this flight would be awesome.
For fare routing rules, something like Expert Flyer is v useful

It isn't realistic to have all the routing rules for all routes for all airlines listed in one place, you just need to check the rules of the governing carrier for the rules specific to a planned journey

As far as 3rd region exceptions gp, that has been listed at https://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1681/2...94536cd6_z.jpg

As noted, Middle East and India are treated as the same continent for routing, so no issue going through the middle east to get to india. Checking on EF, QR does have a fare published for that journey
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
For fare routing rules, something like Expert Flyer is v useful

It isn't realistic to have all the routing rules for all routes for all airlines listed in one place, you just need to check the rules of the governing carrier for the rules specific to a planned journey

As far as 3rd region exceptions gp, that has been listed at https://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1681/2...94536cd6_z.jpg

As noted, Middle East and India are treated as the same continent for routing, so no issue going through the middle east to get to india. Checking on EF, QR does have a fare published for that journey
Allow me to fix that link for ya:

flyingeph12 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I didn't see any error with the link
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt GLB
It's been a while since I've booked QR awards. I'm trying to book something in March but cannot find J availability from anywhere to/from the US even looking on a Monday. I'm hoping they dump some inventory, but I don't see that happening.

Is there any easier way to search other than punching in everything in BA website for each city pair?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
Time to credit miles earned on Qatar Airways

I know the site says it takes up to 30 days for miles earned with partner airlines to be credited to our accounts. But, on average, how long does it take to credit miles earned on QR? I flew BA and JJ in january and it was OK in 72 hours. It's been 8 days since I've flown Qatar and nothing yet. Any clue?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by broland
I know the site says it takes up to 30 days for miles earned with partner airlines to be credited to our accounts. But, on average, how long does it take to credit miles earned on QR? I flew BA and JJ in january and it was OK in 72 hours. It's been 8 days since I've flown Qatar and nothing yet. Any clue?
Most of my QR flights from the past year have posted almost instantly. Several long haul's have posted before I even landed at the destination.

That said, I have a QR flight from last week that hasn't posted as well. Flew BKK-DOH-JFK, the BKK-DOH posted immediately but haven't seen the DOH-JFK segment yet, and it's been 9 days as well.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
It's been a while since I've booked QR awards. I'm trying to book something in March but cannot find J availability from anywhere to/from the US even looking on a Monday. I'm hoping they dump some inventory, but I don't see that happening.

Is there any easier way to search other than punching in everything in BA website for each city pair?
Have you checked every day of the week, or only weekend days? There're been multiple times in the past where they've only released J availability to/from the US for Mon-Thu departures, never for Fri-Sun departures.

If you use Award Nexus (www.award.nexus, click "more signup options" under the green Purchase button to sign up for free as a FlyerTalk member), it'll remember all the searches you did in the past and let you repeat or edit them. A search using a particular engine (BA and/or QF) for a particular travel day in a particular class on a particular route typically uses 1 point. as a FlyerTalk member, you get I think 200 points to start, and can reload 100 points for free every 90 days (once you use them up), or you can buy more points if you like. IMHO it's a way nicer user interface for repeating multiple searches than the BA website.

Also, BA sometimes doesn't show OW availability that QF does. For example, I just checked LAX-LIM (for a particular date) using both BA and QF (at AwardNexus), and both BA and QF found the nonstop LATAM route (which I booked and is now gone), but only QF (not BA) shows the AA-LA connection in MEX (which is not 100% J).

And I remember other reasons (with other searches in the past giving better results with QF than BA) why I made QF my preference over BA at Award Nexus.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
Thanks, JJeffrey!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
QR has taken anywhere between 1 day and like 75 for me. YMMV for lack of a better phrase.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I did MPM-DOH-MIA and AKL-DOH-LHR last year. AKL-DOH credited before I landed and the rest credited the next day.

I've never had problems with QR flights posting. BA, AY, and CX on the other hand...
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:08 pm

Is it almost possible to find 1 biz seat redemption for hyd-Dallas roundtrip for may-july?
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Flew QR to ZNZ in J at end of January and each flight posted the next day. My return ZNZ-DOH-PHL in J on 2/7 and 2/8 have not posted. I fly Qatar about five times a year and usually my miles post within two days. The few times they haven't, have always resulted in me needing to send in my receipt + boarding passes after 30 days and waiting another 30-45 days for them to post. I submitted a missing mileage request on 2/12 and am fully expecting an issue with this trip and for it to be a process to get the miles. It's particularly frustrating this time as I need these miles to book an award trip. The other poster who said anywhere from 1-75 days to post is spot on.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by umaa83
. The few times they haven't, have always resulted in me needing to send in my receipt + boarding passes after 30 days and waiting another 30-45 days for them to post.
That's exactly what happened. They emailed me asking for boarding pass + ticket. Now, I have to wait.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Just got off the phone with AA - so I had no idea that going Europe-DOH-Africa wouldn't be allowed on one award. That is nuts! I guess we'll slum it in economy on a paid ticket in that case. Can anyone confirm that's correct? AA's award chart does say 55K miles Europe-Africa in J, but I guess there's no exception for QR-QR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.