Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by broland
Not anymore.
1st date I checked 4/11/18 had availability
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
1st date I checked 4/11/18 had availability
Premium cabin? I can't see it on BAEC.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:59 am

Yep - business class
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Does QR not open availability up at the last second like they used to? Looking at DEL-DOH-US for 3 weeks from now, nothing available obviously. It doesn't look like DEL-DOH is open at all from now until then either.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Does QR not open availability up at the last second like they used to? Looking at DEL-DOH-US for 3 weeks from now, nothing available obviously. It doesn't look like DEL-DOH is open at all from now until then either.
Doesn't seem like they do.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ditto.

Been checking fairly regularly EU to Australia for 2nd half of April - none DOH to SYD, seen F to MEL but now they are all gone. Only availability seen is to ADL but then EU to DOH is very tricky. You really need to use the airports that are outside the usual big cities.
So now plan changed, not going to Australia any more.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:15 pm

4th seems to have been taken, but 7th still shows 2 available

depart 21:55 7 Nov ADL
Arrive 04:50 8 Nov DOH
QR915
14h 25m Non-stop
2 left business class
Old Feb 8, 2018, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by ncguy
I'm looking for IAD - DOH - CPT and back in late Dec / early Jan as well. No luck so far on QR.
Any recent luck with qsuites fights in 2018 (JFK-DOH and IAD-DOH)? I am seeing zero availability.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:54 pm

Is the lack of award availability tied to QR's recent cost-cutting measures?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: A bunch
I have 2 seats booked out of Boston but really need 3. Anyone ever see 3 anymore? If i cant get 3 im gunna cancel the trip. To bad my 2 yr old needs his own business class seat.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Is the lack of award availability tied to QR's recent cost-cutting measures?
What cost-cutting measures are you referring to? The lounge access?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by pointspinnacle
I have 2 seats booked out of Boston but really need 3. Anyone ever see 3 anymore? If i cant get 3 im gunna cancel the trip. To bad my 2 yr old needs his own business class seat.
I haven't seen more than 2 out of BOS, sorry.

Yes.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:22 am

Is there any changes done on how far Qatar availability is shows on BA site? I can't see any even in economy beyond couple months out? Looking at dfw-doha, one way in economy just to start.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by jerrflyer
Took a flight in Nov 2017, have not seen the flights credit. If I request a credit today would it be credited to 2017 or 2018?
AA should credit per the date flown, so 2017.

What cost-cutting did QR do with regard to lounge access?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
JFK-DOH-MLE is a single North America to Middle East/Indian Subcontinent award. It will price at 70k for a business award one-way.

A North America to Asia award (both Asia 1 & 2) does not permit a connection in Middle East/Indian Subcontinent unfortunately. So a JFK-DOH-BKK itinerary would price as 2 awards, in business class 70k for JFK-DOH plus 40k for DOH-BKK.

AAdvantage has very specific 3rd region routing rules and even more complex and sometimes fuzzy published fare routing rules that determine whether any given itinerary will be able to be ticketed as a single award. Both of these requirements are completely unrelated to how Google Flights displays flight options.
Is there a link to the published fare routing routes?

I want to do ICN->MLE and am wondering if ICN->DOH->MLE would be possible. ICN is Asia 1, DOH is Middle East and MLE is Indian subcontinent. I saw an article stating Asia 1 to India via Asia 2 is possible but wondering if a DOH connection would be possible as well. 40,000 miles for one way in business class for this flight would be awesome.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.