Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by messiahdp
Any thoughts or luck rebooking Qatar flights booked via AA miles without redepositing to AA? E.g. we used AA miles for Q Suites U.S.-DOH-CPT May 2020, move that flight to October 2020 via Qatar given COVID19 and associated travel circumstances without dealing with the redeposit and painful search for Qsuites again.
With a voluntary change (your ticketed flights are not cancelled), there's no way that I am aware of to avoid the need for award availability for your new dates. Either you do the search and find the available dates and flights (using, for example, the AA or BA award search function), or you can call and ask an agent to do the search.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
17k short of round trip to India - J class on Qatar

With the bonus miles AA is running for <300 dollars I can get the award ticket for Jan. should I do it? What would you do?
Old Apr 12, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by Desirees
With the bonus miles AA is running for <300 dollars I can get the award ticket for Jan. should I do it? What would you do?
Q Suite? If so I would absolutely. It was the second favorite flight I’ve ever been on
Desirees likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 4:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
Q Suite? If so I would absolutely. It was the second favorite flight I’ve ever been on
I checked - QSuite it is!!!
Old Apr 12, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
I checked - QSuite it is!!!
No brainer - winner winner chicken dinner.
Desirees likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I would have bought the miles before the last sale ended. That was up to a 100 percent bonus
Old Apr 13, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
why are you even asking... just book it..before the space disappears..
Desirees likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:33 pm

Just a booked a flight YUL-DOH-SEZ with AA for next March. YUL-DOH J class, DOH-SEZ Y class ... if J class becomes available later on for this route, is it free to upgrade it to J?

Also, trying to sign on Qatar and manage my booking to select seats, but I keep on getting stuck at the first page which asks for my email address and phone number ... and when input it, it keeps giving me an error msg:
  • We are unable to process your request. Please try again later.(IBE_99)
  • The same frequent flyer number has been entered more than once. Please validate your entries and try again. (1302)
  • Sorry, We are unable to update your contact details.
Anyone have this experience before?

Last edited by travelbug333; Apr 15, 2020 at 9:51 pm
Old Apr 16, 2020, 2:45 am

Programs: AA EP
Had this exact issue on 2 PNRs. Finally found out via the TJ site that aa somehow has populated two fieldS in the FF number. Called aa and have them the random numbers that were showing in the 2nd field and they found it (don’t know where). They deleted it from their end but it never deleted from the qr pNR.had to call qr and they were able to fix it

Originally Posted by Bleepo
Just a booked a flight YUL-DOH-SEZ with AA for next March. YUL-DOH J class, DOH-SEZ Y class ... if J class becomes available later on for this route, is it free to upgrade it to J?

Also, trying to sign on Qatar and manage my booking to select seats, but I keep on getting stuck at the first page which asks for my email address and phone number ... and when input it, it keeps giving me an error msg:
  • The same frequent flyer number has been entered more than once. Please validate your entries and try again. (1302)
Old Apr 16, 2020, 6:30 am

Thanks! s need to call both AA and Qatar to fix?
Old Apr 16, 2020, 10:07 am

There's another way to (partially) fix this. If you go to the RJ website and put in your QR PNR (not the same as the AA one) then you can update your contact info and passport info there. After you do that you should be able to go to the mobile QR site and get in (note that the desktop QR site still won't work). That's what I did and was able to select seats just fine.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Ordinarily, AA waives change fees for upfaring (going up to a higher cabin) for both paid and award tickets. AA just announced a new award change fee structure. I think upfaring will still be free, but I haven't heard definitive confirmation of that.

Yes, that happens to me pretty much every trip that has QR flights, regardless if this is a paid or award trip or booked by AA or BA. What I've done is call or tweet QR and ask them to check the PNR for duplicate FF numbers.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 8:14 pm

awesome thx! will give it a try
Old May 6, 2020, 10:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Qatar Tribune regarding reestablishment of QR routes: https://www.qatar-tribune.com/Latest...and-80-by-June

Thread in the Qatar Airways | Privilege Club forum: QR Resumption of Flights
Old May 7, 2020, 9:56 am

I know I've seen someone post on this but I can't find it anywhere. My December flight on QR using AAdvantage miles was just downgraded from Q Suites to non-Q suites. Aside from the fact that the schedule is likely to change again many times, has anyone had any luck getting a routing changed by AA due to the seat swap? Cost or no cost?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.