Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by friedablass
Good to know about this new rule as I wasn't aware of it. When did it go into effect? I haven't searched such awards on AA in awhile but I recall seeing quite a few options that were US-LHR-DOH/AUH-MLE with both QR and EY back when I was looking. I did a test search for next January and can see that no such routings are being offered anymore.
Award routing US-Eur OR ME-Asia rules changes 2 Apr 2019
Old Feb 25, 2020, 11:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I guess I haven't been keeping up to date like I should be, being that I'm an active member here .

Thanks all!
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:31 am
Suspended

QR Award Availability on AA Website?

Maybe I'm in the dark, but why am I seeing no QR Business Award Availability at all when I search on AA website? It used to be found easily (we just got done with a flight on QR in J).

What is going on? Any other way to find Availability (Using AA Miles).

Thanks!
Old Mar 4, 2020, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by cslovacek
Maybe I'm in the dark, but why am I seeing no QR Business Award Availability at all when I search on AA website? It used to be found easily (we just got done with a flight on QR in J).

Thanks!
It depends on your route and class. I had to delay an Australia/Africa trip by about a month and it's wrecking havoc with me putting the combined itinerary back together. QR removed all Business inventory from May through December on my route. Plenty of availability, flights near daily, if I finish the last QR segment prior May 1 2020. Then nothing for six months. Shows up again daily in January 2021.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
It depends on your route and class. I had to delay an Australia/Africa trip by about a month and it's wrecking havoc with me putting the combined itinerary back together. QR removed all Business inventory from May through December on my route. Plenty of availability, flights near daily, if I finish the last QR segment prior May 1 2020. Then nothing for six months. Shows up again daily in January 2021.
Thank you for that. I wonder why they'd cancel all availability for 6 months. Adjust inventory, I get, but to cancel it outright, strange.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:35 pm

Thank you for that. I wonder why they'd cancel all availability for 6 months. Adjust inventory, I get, but to cancel it outright, strange.
In theory the QR Business class award allotment for every single day from May to December on my routes could have already been taken, but that seems strange. Looks more like they just aren't making it available.

I was going to ask about it on the forum but your post beat me to it. :-) Hopefully others have some insights.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 2:28 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

QR C Award Availability does exist:

[KVS Tool 9.7.1/Diamond - Awards/QF-OneWorld/AU]
Code:
LON  London Metro UK = LHR LGW STN LTN LCY SEN QQS ZLS XQE QQP
DOH  Doha Hamad Intl QA [OTHH]
WED  01 Apr 2020 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive         St  Award Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------------
QR         10      LHR   10:50     DOH   19:55          0   FS-  CS+  WS/  YS-
BA         123     LHR   19:55     DOH   04:40 +1       0   FS-  CS-  WS+  YS+
RJ         112     LHR   17:05     AMM   00:10 +1       0   FS-  CS-  WS/  YS+
 -> RJ     650     AMM   00:55 +1  DOH   03:25 +1       0   FS-  CS+  WS/  YS+
BA         396     LHR   12:45     BRU   15:00          0   FS-  CS+  WS-  YS-
 -> QR     194     BRU   16:50     DOH   00:05 +1       0   FS-  CS+  WS/  YS-
BA         308     LHR   10:55     CDG   13:15          0   FS-  CS+  WS-  YS+
 -> QR     40      CDG   16:00     DOH   23:30          0   FS-  CS+  WS/  YS+
BA         322     LHR   17:20     CDG   19:35          0   FS-  CS+  WS-  YS-
 -> QR     38      CDG   22:40     DOH   06:05 +1       0   FS-  CS+  WS/  YS-
BA         816     LHR   12:45     CPH   15:40          0   FS-  CS+  WS-  YS+
 -> QR     160     CPH   16:55     DOH   23:59          0   FS-  CS-  WS/  YS+
BA         908     LHR   13:45     FRA   16:30          0   FS-  CS+  WS-  YS+
 -> QR     68      FRA   17:35     DOH   00:40 +1       0   FS+  CS+  WS/  YS+
BA         952     LHR   12:40     MUC   15:35          0   FS-  CS+  WS-  YS-
 -> QR     58      MUC   16:55     DOH   23:35          0   FS-  CS+  WS/  YS-
BA         860     LHR   13:25     PRG   16:25          0   FS-  CS+  WS-  YS-
 -> QR     292     PRG   17:20     DOH   23:55          0   FS-  CS+  WS/  YS-
BA         714     LHR   12:10     ZRH   15:00          0   FS-  CS+  WS-  YS+
 -> QR     96      ZRH   18:05     DOH   00:55 +1       0   FS-  CS+  WS/  YS+
Old Mar 7, 2020, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Any other way to find Availability (Using AA Miles).
You can use the BA web site to search for QR award space. If you find it, check if the AA web site lets you book it. If not, an AA agent should be able to book it for you.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by anabolism
You can use the BA web site to search for QR award space. If you find it, check if the AA web site lets you book it. If not, an AA agent should be able to book it for you.
Good to know. Thanks.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 12:28 am

Urgent: Qatar Airways ticket "On Request" using AA miles

I used AA miles to book Qatar airways flight on business class. I booked the ticket 1hr ago and the flight leaves in about 17hrs. The status shows "On Request" meaning the ticket hasn't been confirmed by Qatar yet. Is this going to be a problem? By when can I expect the ticket to get issued? For perspective, I had put that ticket on hold 7hrs back and I had gotten confirmation from AA that the ticket is on hold. But few hours later when I went to buy it, it was showing as cancelled. That's when I made a new reservation and paid the taxes/fees and now it is sitting in "On Request" status. Please advice.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 12:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It means that the booking has been confirmed (i.e. no longer on hold) and is awaiting issuance

If it isn't issued in another hour or 2, phone and speak to an agent about getting it issued
Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:04 am

I called the airlines. After 1hr wait, looks like the agent did something or it was coincidental, the ticket got issued! Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB
Any thoughts or luck rebooking Qatar flights booked via AA miles without redepositing to AA? E.g. we used AA miles for Q Suites U.S.-DOH-CPT May 2020, move that flight to October 2020 via Qatar given COVID19 and associated travel circumstances without dealing with the redeposit and painful search for Qsuites again.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by messiahdp
Any thoughts or luck rebooking Qatar flights booked via AA miles without redepositing to AA? E.g. we used AA miles for Q Suites U.S.-DOH-CPT May 2020, move that flight to October 2020 via Qatar given COVID19 and associated travel circumstances without dealing with the redeposit and painful search for Qsuites again.
I did this exact thing last weekend. I had CVG - ORD - DOH - DEL booked in J via AA miles for 3/29. I found availability in October for the same route I needed, called AA, and they were able to change the flights without issue (took an overnight for everything to ticket as usual).
Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB
Originally Posted by hensleyrob
I did this exact thing last weekend. I had CVG - ORD - DOH - DEL booked in J via AA miles for 3/29. I found availability in October for the same route I needed, called AA, and they were able to change the flights without issue (took an overnight for everything to ticket as usual).
Thanks, though I'm optimistically hoping to avoid the "found availability in October" portion. Qsuites to/from North America seems to be dried up for the next ~6+ months, so was (probably wishfully) hoping Qatar would just switch to a later flight that had open J seats given already ticketed (without going through the search for new award seats).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.