Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 14, 19, 3:01 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
link to QR Travel Alerts)[/quote]

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA <-> Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You cannot check QR availability on aa.com. You must check QR availability elsewhere, and then call AA on the phone to book the award. (There is no booking fee.)

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Doha Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge for qualifying passengers on BA, CX, RJ, UL.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

The archived posts from 2017 can be found here.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 8, 19, 8:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Starwood (Plat) and every other US program
Based on recent award JNF-DOH-DFW I think that the Qsuite is nothing special. I preferred my space on JNF-DOH.
Old Sep 8, 19, 8:43 pm

Programs: AGR S, SPG PLT, MAR PLT, HGP Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by sbrower View Post
Based on recent award JNF-DOH-DFW I think that the Qsuite is nothing special. I preferred my space on JNF-DOH.
🤷.♂️. Flew Qsuite in July for the first time. Found it plus the service to be 💯
nikbruno likes this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 9:04 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Starwood (Plat) and every other US program
Originally Posted by iadisgreat View Post
🤷.♂️. Flew Qsuite in July for the first time. Found it plus the service to be 💯
But did you also fly QR business on one of their long-hauls without the Qsuite to compare? (It may also matter than I am 6'2", so the Qsuite was cramped for me in lie flat.
Old Sep 9, 19, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by friedablass View Post
CMB on the other hand is only 1 1/2 hour flight from MLE and then CMB-DOH-JFK is a little under $2800, but I would still like to know where I can find it for around $2k.
It which not be a "where", it might be a "when". And then "when" could be either travel date and/or booking date. Lots of airlines have occasional business class sales, but they don't always cover all travel dates, and you have to wait and hope that one comes along that does cover your travel dates.
Old Sep 11, 19, 11:24 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
One way being more expensive in business than round-trip is common in many longhaul international markets (market meaning source-destination combination). You have to look for the exceptions, which may mean you have to choose different routing, a different airline, or a separate connector flights to some airport where one-ways in business origination prices are comparatively low.

That can be a problem for you in many directions from the US if you book a one-way with an award but then can't find an award coming back. I had that problem flying to Argentina for the early July eclipse. I lucked out on an AA award downwards, but AA awards outright upwards never happened. I decided to connect to the new COR-MIA daytime routine in economy and go for an miles+copay upgrade award, and that worked. (Upgrade awards appeared, but outright awards never appeared.) If that hadn't worked, I would have only been able to get non-bed business daytime connecting flights through Central America on "secondary" Star Alliance airlines for cheap, not any "major" airline one-way in business cheap.

The OP who mentioned that fare was saying that you would need a connector flight (MLE-CMB) to take advantage of it, not suggesting you always can get that kind of fare from just anywhere.
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
It which not be a "where", it might be a "when". And then "when" could be either travel date and/or booking date. Lots of airlines have occasional business class sales, but they don't always cover all travel dates, and you have to wait and hope that one comes along that does cover your travel dates.
Thank you for your detailed responses - appreciate it.

Having read through the last ~30 pages of this thread I was unable to find an answer to the following question (or perhaps I missed?): What is the consensus of J awards opening close in? I have AA miles to burn and would rather use that than cash, besides I don't even know if the cash rates will even go down to an an acceptable rate.

I realize now that these seats need to be booked at about the 330 day mark when QR releases the award seats but at that point I had no idea I was going anywhere this February 2020. Over the past few weeks a window of exactly 1 week opened for both me and hub to be able to take a vacation together and I quickly began planning our getaway. I have outbound with EK and would love to try QR for the return but if there is no chance that awards will open between now and mid-February I will just drop the idea of flying with QR and book one of my other options.

Thanks again to all who have provided their input.
Old Sep 11, 19, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP & Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+, SPG Plat, Hyatt Globlalist
Originally Posted by friedablass View Post
CMB on the other hand is only 1 1/2 hour flight from MLE and then CMB-DOH-JFK is a little under $2800, but I would still like to know where I can find it for around $2k.
Try KTM
Old Sep 11, 19, 2:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by nov11 View Post
Try KTM
WOW! Less than $1500! That's quite amazing but alas there are no direct flights to there from MLE. And what do you know, the connecting flights with the shortest total travel time is through DOH . So I'd be traveling MLE-DOH-KTM-DOH-JFK.

Ideally I would love to book from KTM via DOH for that price and then drop the KTM-DOH portion but I know that if I don't show up for the first leg it'll be a no show...
Old Sep 11, 19, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, RC PLAT PREM
Looked for availabllity from July 18-31, 2020 from DOH-DFW/LAX/ORD and not one seat is available. BOM-DOH had no issues on getting seats but onward is impossible.

Have a route booked on CX but would prefer QR as the journey is slightly shorter. What do you guys use to check availability?

Thanks
Old Sep 11, 19, 4:21 pm

Programs: AGR S, SPG PLT, MAR PLT, HGP Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by sbrower View Post
But did you also fly QR business on one of their long-hauls without the Qsuite to compare? (It may also matter than I am 6'2", so the Qsuite was cramped for me in lie flat.
I did on the A333 - I'm 5'11", so the length was fine on either, but after the QSuite, the A333 product (even though true layflat) was just plain awkward.
Old Sep 11, 19, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nov11 View Post
Try KTM
I got J on CX for 1100. Booked the inbound via miles on QR.

Awesome!
Old Sep 12, 19, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
I got J on CX for 1100. Booked the inbound via miles on QR.
Awesome!
I had a similar RTW last year, and extended the Nepal stop to a week. It turned out to be the best part of the trip, and truly spectacular.
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by iadisgreat View Post
I did on the A333 - I'm 5'11", so the length was fine on either, but after the QSuite, the A333 product (even though true layflat) was just plain awkward.
Which seats? they have (or maybe had?) the same seats as the AA 321T.

The old 777 2-2-2 seats on QR were fantastic.

One could pass through from the window despite being fully asleep. As someone who is 6' 2", I used to put the foot end thing down and sleep comfortably. Also great for sleeping with your knees up.

Not the fanciest product in the age of all-aisle, but IMO, the best J seats in the sky.
Old Sep 12, 19, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Which seats? they have (or maybe had?) the same seats as the AA 321T.

The old 777 2-2-2 seats on QR were fantastic.

One could pass through from the window despite being fully asleep. As someone who is 6' 2", I used to put the foot end thing down and sleep comfortably. Also great for sleeping with your knees up.

Not the fanciest product in the age of all-aisle, but IMO, the best J seats in the sky.
Totally agree.
Old Sep 13, 19, 11:12 am

Booking Qatar Airways

I am wanting to fly ORD-DOH-GYD. AA will let me book ORD-DOH (40k miles Economy Saver) and DOH-GYD (20k miles Economy Saver) as separate reservations, but not together. Will an agent be able to book this over the phone or will I just have to book separately?
Old Sep 13, 19, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by poisson View Post
I am wanting to fly ORD-DOH-GYD. AA will let me book ORD-DOH (40k miles Economy Saver) and DOH-GYD (20k miles Economy Saver) as separate reservations, but not together. Will an agent be able to book this over the phone or will I just have to book separately?
AA classifies Azerbaijan as part of Europe, and you cannot fly USA-DOH-Europe on a single award, which is why aa.com isn't displaying the flights together.

So you can book it, but it will be the 2 awards 40k + 20k. No reason to call, you can book it together using the multi city booking at aa.com.
Antarius likes this.

Search this Thread