Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 6, 22, 9:07 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: friedablass
Wiki Link
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. ="1"% (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats

If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 9, 18, 1:03 pm
  #376  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,314
QR availablility has been coming and going on BA.com. You may see more reliable availability on qantas.com or AwardNexus ($).

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Sep 9, 18 at 1:27 pm
SeeBuyFly is offline  
Old Sep 9, 18, 9:04 pm
  #377  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 129
Thank you both! What do you think about the odds of scoring a QSuites seat (1 seat) from JFK-DOH just 3 months out? Are they slim to none, or possible assuming random releasing of availability?
pennystinkard is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 9:32 am
  #378  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ORD
Programs: AA LT PLT 3.0 MM, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Plat MR Plat NatlExec,Hrtz 5*
Posts: 90
I think 1 seat 3 months out should be very doable. It was a pain but I was checking at least once every day.
pennystinkard likes this.
dante60093 is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 8:36 pm
  #379  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Global
Posts: 5,572
Qatar Glitch Preventing AA from posting miles to my Advantage Account

QR Ticket -
CGK-DOH, DOH-BOS - May 2018
BOS-DOH, DOH-CGK - Aug 2018

All flights on QR with my AA EP number on them.
CGK-DOH - Credited properly to my AA account
DOH-BOS - Credited properly to my AA account
BOS-DOH - NOT Credited
DOH-CGK - Credited properly to my AA account

Filed missing miles with AA. AA response - they were credited to QR account. Contact QR.
Contacted QR - if they did not credit, contact AA.

back and forth... both blaming the other

Mrs. Global on the same flights. Same problem. Just the one segment.

Anyone else has this problem?
Does anyone have a solution?
Global321 is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 8:42 pm
  #380  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 99,025
Do you and wife have QR accounts too?

Did you use QR status to enter lounges, get free checked bags or better seats, etc.?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 8:51 pm
  #381  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Global
Posts: 5,572
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Do you and wife have QR accounts too?

Did you use QR status to enter lounges, get free checked bags or better seats, etc.?
No. Business class tickets. As noted, I am AA EP. So is Mrs.
And, as mentioned, 3/4 credited properly. No reason one segment would go to a phantom account.
All previous QR flights credited properly.
Flights on new QR ticket credited properly after this flight.
Global321 is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 8:54 pm
  #382  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: TPA
Programs: WP
Posts: 372
Originally Posted by Global321 View Post
QR Ticket -
CGK-DOH, DOH-BOS - May 2018
BOS-DOH, DOH-CGK - Aug 2018

All flights on QR with my AA EP number on them.
CGK-DOH - Credited properly to my AA account
DOH-BOS - Credited properly to my AA account
BOS-DOH - NOT Credited
DOH-CGK - Credited properly to my AA account

Filed missing miles with AA. AA response - they were credited to QR account. Contact QR.
Contacted QR - if they did not credit, contact AA.

back and forth... both blaming the other

Mrs. Global on the same flights. Same problem. Just the one segment.

Anyone else has this problem?
Does anyone have a solution?
Had this happened to me earlier this year as well. I called the QR office Stateside and gave them all the information and also contacted the AAdvantage desk (not the elite number), you have to get an agent that is willing to help you, took me a few tries as well. Finally, after a week from the last call, the miles were credited.
island82 is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 9:04 pm
  #383  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: AA EVP, United 1K and 2MM, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Delta
Posts: 219
Originally Posted by Global321 View Post
QR Ticket -
CGK-DOH, DOH-BOS - May 2018
BOS-DOH, DOH-CGK - Aug 2018

All flights on QR with my AA EP number on them.
CGK-DOH - Credited properly to my AA account
DOH-BOS - Credited properly to my AA account
BOS-DOH - NOT Credited
DOH-CGK - Credited properly to my AA account

Filed missing miles with AA. AA response - they were credited to QR account. Contact QR.
Contacted QR - if they did not credit, contact AA.

back and forth... both blaming the other

Mrs. Global on the same flights. Same problem. Just the one segment.

Anyone else has this problem?
Does anyone have a solution?
I am fighting the exact same issue except my missing segment was LAX-DOH.

Like you, it was the 3rd segment on a round trip originating in CGK, Outgoing flight CGK-DOH-LAX credited fine. Return trip received no credit on LAX-DOH flight, but did get credit on DOG-CGK (as well as additional onward flights from CGK on MH which credited properly to AA).

When i inquired with AA they said it was denied because it had been credited to QR.

I followed up with QRsupport via Twitter DM and they confirmed it had been ticketed with all segments tied to my AAdvantage number and no links to any Qmiles account. But having confirmed this, they then said it was up to me to have AA fix it.

I'm stuck in total limbo. AA says it was QR credited, QR confirms it was NOT credited to Qmiles in their DM to me, but its up to me to convince AA. No one is taking responsibility to get it fixed even though its a clear error.

And as an FYI - i do not have a Qatar mileage account. Had flown them last year but credited all flights to AA.
johnru36 is offline  
Old Sep 11, 18, 10:32 am
  #384  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Global
Posts: 5,572
Originally Posted by island82 View Post
Had this happened to me earlier this year as well. I called the QR office Stateside and gave them all the information and also contacted the AAdvantage desk (not the elite number), you have to get an agent that is willing to help you, took me a few tries as well. Finally, after a week from the last call, the miles were credited.
thanks.

Any tips on what to say?

Do you think it was the QR call or the AAdvantage desk - or both - that got it fixed?
Global321 is offline  
Old Sep 11, 18, 12:21 pm
  #385  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,952
Originally Posted by johnru36 View Post
I am fighting the exact same issue except my missing segment was LAX-DOH.

Like you, it was the 3rd segment on a round trip originating in CGK, Outgoing flight CGK-DOH-LAX credited fine. Return trip received no credit on LAX-DOH flight, but did get credit on DOG-CGK (as well as additional onward flights from CGK on MH which credited properly to AA).

When i inquired with AA they said it was denied because it had been credited to QR.

I followed up with QRsupport via Twitter DM and they confirmed it had been ticketed with all segments tied to my AAdvantage number and no links to any Qmiles account. But having confirmed this, they then said it was up to me to have AA fix it.

I'm stuck in total limbo. AA says it was QR credited, QR confirms it was NOT credited to Qmiles in their DM to me, but its up to me to convince AA. No one is taking responsibility to get it fixed even though its a clear error.

And as an FYI - i do not have a Qatar mileage account. Had flown them last year but credited all flights to AA.
Print screen the QRsupport verification, contact AA?
JDiver is offline  
Old Sep 11, 18, 1:13 pm
  #386  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: TPA
Programs: WP
Posts: 372
Originally Posted by Global321 View Post
thanks.

Any tips on what to say?

Do you think it was the QR call or the AAdvantage desk - or both - that got it fixed?
I don't remember the line I used to be exact, just being polite and not shouting at the QR agent. It was the call to QR that got it fixed, AA won't touch it. The agent said they have to ask office in Qatar to do the processing, so the agent sent an email, asked for the ticket number, routing and my AA frequent flier number. A week later, the missing segment was credited.
Global321 likes this.
island82 is offline  
Old Sep 11, 18, 2:16 pm
  #387  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Global
Posts: 5,572
Originally Posted by island82 View Post
I don't remember the line I used to be exact, just being polite and not shouting at the QR agent. It was the call to QR that got it fixed, AA won't touch it. The agent said they have to ask office in Qatar to do the processing, so the agent sent an email, asked for the ticket number, routing and my AA frequent flier number. A week later, the missing segment was credited.
Appreciate it. I will try when I get back from the next trip.
Global321 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 18, 2:25 pm
  #388  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 769
How do I go about selecting seats on an AAdvantage award, flown by AR? I have the AA PNR, but how would I get the reservation info for QR flights? My wife and I would like to use the double bed feature of the new QSuites.
shimps1 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 18, 2:34 pm
  #389  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 42,302
Originally Posted by shimps1 View Post
How do I go about selecting seats on an AAdvantage award, flown by AR? I have the AA PNR, but how would I get the reservation info for QR flights? My wife and I would like to use the double bed feature of the new QSuites.
if you go to Qantas.com and use the AA record locator on its manage booking tool, it will show you the reservation details and will also show you the Amadeus booking reference

You can then use te amadeaus reference on the Qatar site and select seats using its manage booking tool

Alternatvely you could phone Qatar or American and get the record locator that way
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Sep 14, 18, 3:20 pm
  #390  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: PVD, BOS
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 1,664
Put me down as another person who’s having trouble getting QR to credit miles to my AA account. Recently flew 4 QR segments as part of an AA ticket (001 stock). Two QR segments posted, but the other two did not. AA asked me to submit a copy of the ticket and boarding passes. Hoping that does the trick.

FWIW, I don’t have a QRPC account, just an AA account and my AA FFN was on all BPs.
swingaling is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread