Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by forkknifespoon
Anyone know if I can hope for compensation for a terrible flight if I book an AA award on Qatar metal? Had the worst J experience of all time today. A family of 8 decided it was okay for them to share 5 Business class seats... They had 3 kids in Economy that they kept sneaking in to Business. Finally the purser and crew gave up and just let them stay. Sprawled out on the floor, running down the aisles screaming and roaring, sitting on my seat when I would go to the restroom, and even eating meals meant for true Business class passengers. I wouldn't even know who I would complain to (AA/QR)??
QR, but good luck with their customer service. I was served a sharp piece of metal hidden inside my main dish in J on DOH-DFW, and the onboard staff were very apologetic and wrote it up. I expected some sort of voucher as reasonable compensation (I had pictures, the metal caused some pain, etc.). Instead, I was offered a mere 5000 Qmiles (keep in mind I don't even have a Qmiles account). I replied asking for even a $100 voucher instead of the miles and got a stern no. Whatever.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kyle Shipps
BA is showing zero availability out of DOH to any city starting June 20, 2019...i called up AA the other day as they can finally see up to at least June 20 and the rep confirmed she wasn't seeing anything. very strange since every day up to June 19, 2019 is showing multiple seats. anybody have an insight to what is going on? fare code change seems unlikely as XXX-DOH is still available after the date.
This seems to still be the case, right? Any additional insight? Everything drops off June 20, 2019 and nothing behind DOH is available but no issues flying into DOH
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:13 pm

Booking award flights on Qatar Airways with AA miles

Are there any 'tricks' to score award tickets on QR using AA miles, like calling Fiji or Timbuktu? When I call AA in the US, there never seems to be award seats available.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by puchong
Are there any 'tricks' to score award tickets on QR using AA miles, like calling Fiji or Timbuktu? When I call AA in the US, there never seems to be award seats available.
The trick is to read the dedicated thread QR AA forum---> QR / Qatar Airways oneworld Partner: Earn and Redeem AA Miles

Wanting to travel from where to where?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
...Wanting to travel from where to where?
Aye, Aye Sir, will go read the thread now. But just in case you have any other pearls of wisdom, I am trying to get a Business Class award from CCU or BOM to LAX. Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by puchong
I am trying to get a Business Class award from CCU or BOM to LAX.
1 seat?
Have a look in the QR forum. You may find some posts on awards
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chhatr...tional_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netaji..._International

AA partner EY Etihad also fly from BOM & CCU. And CX from BOM
EY--->Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY (master thread July 2017 onwards)
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:55 pm
x19

Called twice today trying to book ORD-DOH-JRO for June 18, 2019. The agents could book the ORD - DOH leg, but was unable to book the DOH-JRO leg. The second time, the agent tried to book the itinerary every day going back to June 13, 2019 but never could get the booking for DOH - JRO to go through. Any suggestions?

Edited to add: Availability found via British Airways search, and looking for coach.

Last edited by x19; Aug 2, 2018 at 6:56 pm
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by x19
Called twice today trying to book ORD-DOH-JRO for June 18, 2019. The agents could book the ORD - DOH leg, but was unable to book the DOH-JRO leg. The second time, the agent tried to book the itinerary every day going back to June 13, 2019 but never could get the booking for DOH - JRO to go through. Any suggestions?
I think Kyle Shipps identified a sudden drying up of QR award flight departing DOH starting mid to late June 2019.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by x19
The flight you want also appears on the QF website. Call the "Australian" office #+61 2 9101 1948.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:26 pm
x19

Originally Posted by LukeO9
The flight you want also appears on the QF website. Call the "Australian" office #+61 2 9101 1948.
Thanks, I will try this. I saw a reference to calling Fiji earlier in the thread, why does this work?

Out of curiosity are you seeing ORD-DOH-JRO on the Qantas site? I ask because while I see other options like ORD-LHR-DOH-JRO with the first segment on AA and the rest on QR but not the ORD-DOH-JRO.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:30 pm
x19

Well, I called Fiji and they were able to process the booking. They said it would take a couple of hours for me to receive the confirmation, so we'll see, but they were able to submit it at least. Thanks for the suggestion! First time booking a partner award.
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by x19
Thanks, I will try this. I saw a reference to calling Fiji earlier in the thread, why does this work?

Out of curiosity are you seeing ORD-DOH-JRO on the Qantas site? I ask because while I see other options like ORD-LHR-DOH-JRO with the first segment on AA and the rest on QR but not the ORD-DOH-JRO.
Possibly because MindPearl (“AA Australia”) uses Amadeus, not Sabre, same as Qatar? That’s a guess...

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 2, 2018 at 9:48 pm
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by x19
Well, I called Fiji and they were able to process the booking. They said it would take a couple of hours for me to receive the confirmation, so we'll see, but they were able to submit it at least. Thanks for the suggestion! First time booking a partner award.
Which flying date were they able to find for the DOH-JRO leg? Assuming it was June 19th or prior based on the availability seen. Called Australia a couple times and no luck getting them to find anything after. However, on the Qantas site it seems to pick up some availability beyond that date.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Picked up 2x IAD-DOH-MLE (in J, QSuites on IAD-DOH, for 70k each) for mid-September, on exactly the date we wanted. I was impressed that the availability was there. It showed up on BA. AA(US) saw it was there but 2 agents said "it wouldn't confirm," "must be the time of day," etc. So then I called the Australia number and it took about 15 minutes but they were able to get it ticketed no problem. ^ Thanks to all in this thread for the tip.

Seems like a great way to get into MLE. Picked up $1683 tickets in J for the way back CMB-HKG-LAX-JFK-DCA, including mileage upgrades into AA F on HKG-LAX-JFK.
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
CDG-DOH-HEL-KEF comes out at 45k if priced as Asia-2 to Middle East plus Middle East to Europe (25k + 20k)

You were lucky that in dealing with a flight cancellation, that the agent did it as an exchange ; if done in relation to just a voluntary change, it would have been repriced and probably needed 2 awards
I rang AA and asked about CGK-KEF as a through flight via DOH and LHR. Quoted price was 35K miles + $66.90 in taxes.
I originally paid $83.80 in taxes and the phone rep said difference in taxes will be automatically refunded to my card on file.
It has been 10 days and I still don't see a refund of taxes yet. Is this normal?

(The last time I had an refund adjustment in taxes, I saw the difference refunded within 3 days)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.