Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2022, 8:51 am

Programs: AA PPro
Anyone had success obtaining an upgrade to First when traveling on an AA award booking on QR? Right now I am in Q-suites from SEA-DOH and on one of the leased CX 777's in the forward mini cabin from DOH-MLE.

I flew CX F once without my wife and I would love for her to be able to experience the seat product. Plus I assume if we were upgraded we wouldn't need to pay the additional to access the Al Safwa lounge so win-win.

It sounds like there is a dedicated upgrades desk at DOH if space remains available during our transit. Any chance we get offered something sooner or any use asking the airline?
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by HiAperture
Anyone had success obtaining an upgrade to First when traveling on an AA award booking on QR? Right now I am in Q-suites from SEA-DOH and on one of the leased CX 777's in the forward mini cabin from DOH-MLE.

I flew CX F once without my wife and I would love for her to be able to experience the seat product. Plus I assume if we were upgraded we wouldn't need to pay the additional to access the Al Safwa lounge so win-win.

It sounds like there is a dedicated upgrades desk at DOH if space remains available during our transit. Any chance we get offered something sooner or any use asking the airline?
I am 99% certain that AA-booked tickets are not eligible for day-of-departure upgrades at the QR upgrade desk.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by dave_261
I am 99% certain that AA-booked tickets are not eligible for day-of-departure upgrades at the QR upgrade desk.
Good to know. Definitely not a big deal, CX’s J seats will be great for 5 hrs.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by AAMCI
Here is a blog article on how to link BA and QR Avios accounts:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/qatar-launches-avios/
Can't link either my wifes' or my accts even after updating DOB etc . Tried ba and qr sites. Anyone else have issues? Who to call BA or QR?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 3:14 pm

Are there any differences on booking QR award on BA and AA aside from the following:

Earlier availability on BA (25 days)
More fuel surcharges on BA (~$400 more)
More points/miles required on BA (~55k more avios - but really 15k with the transfer bonus right now)

Looking at MLE-DOH-LHR on QR 677/671 and QR 1 (should be QSuite) next summer

I'll be OWE when I fly and I'm looking to book into business.

I'd prefer not to transfer avios to QR.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Problem with information passed to Qatar from an AAdvantage FF reservation. Not sure if I should call AA or Qatar to correct

I have a reservation coming up in August MSP>DOH>NBO AA and Qatar. We have done this route with both FF and non-FF flights in the past. In fact our return was booked directly with Qatar but attributing miles to AA.

AA appears to be sending incorrect information to Qatar for our flights booked with AA. (Qatar booked reservation is fine)

Situation: I noticed an anomaly with our AA reservation. While my information is all correct, my husband's information has a redress number added that is not in his account. Near as we can tell from the ***** number that appears, is my phone number. Put on the list to call AA about.
Curiouser and curiouser: Out of curiousity, I checked the reservation directly in Qatar website. Sure enough the bogus redress numebr was passed through BUT the Qatar reservation ALSO has some completely unidentifiable AAdvantage number for me and MY AAdvantage number appears as my husband's. No where is does my hubsand's actual AA number appear.
I can not change any of this directly on either AA or Qatar websites

Now normally the AA number would be no big deal on a FF flight but the segments count now so I'd like those to get attributed. And I certainly don't want anyone getting confused by the addition of a redress number that does not exist.

Question - call AA or Qatar directly? Has anyone else seen this kind of "bad" pass through information?

TIA for thoughts
Old Jul 16, 2022, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just call Qatar and it should be able to fix any errors; you might be able to fix the FF numbers yourself on the manage booking tool on either AY or RJ
Old Jul 16, 2022, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Just call Qatar and it should be able to fix any errors
thanks - I'll still call AA to see why they have a redress number that doesnt exist but call Qatar on the FF details

Got to love computers talking to each other!
Old Jul 16, 2022, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aj411
thanks - I'll still call AA to see why they have a redress number that doesnt exist but call Qatar on the FF details

Got to love computers talking to each other!
I can't imagine that calling AA will serve much purpose if it can be fixed bu QR - I doubt that AA will launch an investigation into the spurious data being transmitted
Old Jul 16, 2022, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I can't imagine that calling AA will serve much purpose if it can be fixed bu QR - I doubt that AA will launch an investigation into the spurious data being transmitted
Well, I certainly didnt expect that. LOL
More like wondering if there was something inthe record that they could see that would cause the information to be sent through. I know they see things in their system that don't appear in my version of the record
Old Jul 16, 2022, 6:17 pm

discussed many times. It is an internal number that shows it’s an aaard booking and with Amadeus gets appended, incorrectly, to the fist FF field. It should be in the /nd field and your AA number in the fist field. U can correct it on RJ .com or QR can change it. AA cannot change it — it keeps appending in the first firlf.

Originally Posted by aj411
Problem with information passed to Qatar from an AAdvantage FF reservation. Not sure if I should call AA or Qatar to correct

I have a reservation coming up in August MSP>DOH>NBO AA and Qatar. We have done this route with both FF and non-FF flights in the past. In fact our return was booked directly with Qatar but attributing miles to AA.

AA appears to be sending incorrect information to Qatar for our flights booked with AA. (Qatar booked reservation is fine)

Situation: I noticed an anomaly with our AA reservation. While my information is all correct, my husband's information has a redress number added that is not in his account. Near as we can tell from the ***** number that appears, is my phone number. Put on the list to call AA about.
Curiouser and curiouser: Out of curiousity, I checked the reservation directly in Qatar website. Sure enough the bogus redress numebr was passed through BUT the Qatar reservation ALSO has some completely unidentifiable AAdvantage number for me and MY AAdvantage number appears as my husband's. No where is does my hubsand's actual AA number appear.
I can not change any of this directly on either AA or Qatar websites

Now normally the AA number would be no big deal on a FF flight but the segments count now so I'd like those to get attributed. And I certainly don't want anyone getting confused by the addition of a redress number that does not exist.

Question - call AA or Qatar directly? Has anyone else seen this kind of "bad" pass through information?

TIA for thoughts
aj411 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by 777lover
discussed many times. It is an internal number that shows it’s an aaard booking and with Amadeus gets appended, incorrectly, to the fist FF field. It should be in the /nd field and your AA number in the fist field. U can correct it on RJ .com or QR can change it. AA cannot change it — it keeps appending in the first firlf.
thats it! I can definitely try RJ
no offense to QR customer service but I’m not fond of calling them. It’s never an easy call.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 1:59 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
I'm trying to find availability to Athens via Doha on Qatar next summer. If I search through the Qatar Privilege club, I can find DFW-DOH-ATH all on one segment, but if I search on AA's site, all I can find is DFW-LHR-ATH on BA. Is it possible to call AA and book the DFW-DOH-ATH flight using AA miles, even though their website shows no availability for this itineray? If so, how many miles would it be? I know US to DOH is 70k, but does adding the ATH segment change that?

Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
I'm trying to find availability to Athens via Doha on Qatar next summer. If I search through the Qatar Privilege club, I can find DFW-DOH-ATH all on one segment, but if I search on AA's site, all I can find is DFW-LHR-ATH on BA. Is it possible to call AA and book the DFW-DOH-ATH flight using AA miles, even though their website shows no availability for this itineray? If so, how many miles would it be? I know US to DOH is 70k, but does adding the ATH segment change that?

Thanks!
Qatar (and every airline) makes more award seats available to their own program than others, so no - what's available on QR website does not reflect what's bookable with AA. You'll need to actually search on the AA website to see what's available.

ON TOP OF THAT, AA doesn't allow award routing NA-Europe via the middle East, so even IF this showed up on AA as individual segments, you wouldn't be able to book it as one award.

E.g. give this a read: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/american-airlines-award-routing-rules/
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Qatar (and every airline) makes more award seats available to their own program than others, so no - what's available on QR website does not reflect what's bookable with AA. You'll need to actually search on the AA website to see what's available.
Thanks for the quick response. So basically, if I can't find US-DOH-ATH all on one itinerary on AAs site, it's not happening using AA miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.