Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: United, AA, BA, UR
Fewer q suite awards

it sure seems a lot harder to get on a doha to paris flight that has the new q suites, not my imagination I guess...just wondering if these will get worse or open up closer to flying...
Old May 26, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Had an experience with pseudo-phantom availability. I'm booked DFW-DOH in J for January and have been checking every day to see if LAX-DOH opened up. About 11PM US Central time, I saw two J award seats available on LAX-DOH on the day I need. Called US AA number, agent couldn't see it, called NZ number, agent saw it, said it kept coming back unconfirmed, put me on hold, said her help desk was able to confirm it, said it was sent to ticketing. Looking in AA.com and QR site, I see the new flights. Awesome! Then, while trying to assign seats on the QR site, the flight vanished. Checked AA.com and it had vanished from there as well. Called AA, was told that QR had pulled back the seats. Luckily, the space on our original flights (both AA and QR flights) had been returned to inventory, so was able to restore exactly what we had before.
Old May 27, 2018, 9:50 am

I looked today for business from any USA gateway around August 20. It looks like everything stops, at least for business, on August 16 and nothing for the rest of the month.
Old May 28, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
How many miles required for J award SYD to LHR? AA agent says it’s two awards and not 85K!
Old May 28, 2018, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
How many miles required for J award SYD to LHR? AA agent says it’s two awards and not 85K!
No matter how asked:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29802671-post583.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29802625-post1197.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29802698-post578.html

Answer is: (4th from the bottom, and with QF via DXB no longer being an option.)

Last edited by JonNYC; May 28, 2018 at 2:35 pm
Old May 28, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
So QR is ok then..!
JonNYC likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: EXPLT
Any thoughts on this is appreciated..

Looking to book 2 on QR BIZ US - DOH - WDH with AA miles late OCT/early NOV. DOH-WDH on BA AVIOS and calling AA currently shows no availability any class all of OCT, and early NOV. There is currently no problem with avblity US - DOH, then DOH to either JNB or CPT. As always, space may open up DOH - WDH as time gets closer to OCT dates.

I was thinking to just secure / book US - DOH - JNB (or CPT) now. Should DOH - WDH open up, could I have the ticket adjusted to US - DOH - WDH, and pay the appropriate revised ticketing fees? I do have concerns that if I were to have the ticket changed ex DOH, would I still be able to keep the US - DOH leg that I have already secured? Let's say space on US - DOH was no longer available, is it safe to say that once I have the first leg secured, I can keep it despite making changes to the next leg ex DOH?

In the end, should no availability remain DOH - WDH, I'll need to get a ticket JNB or CPT - WDH, which I am OK with.

This course of action sound ok, or best to wait till June or July when perhaps space is opened up for DOH - WDH?
Old May 29, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by b74l
Any thoughts on this is appreciated..

Looking to book 2 on QR BIZ US - DOH - WDH with AA miles late OCT/early NOV. DOH-WDH on BA AVIOS and calling AA currently shows no availability any class all of OCT, and early NOV. There is currently no problem with avblity US - DOH, then DOH to either JNB or CPT. As always, space may open up DOH - WDH as time gets closer to OCT dates.

I was thinking to just secure / book US - DOH - JNB (or CPT) now. Should DOH - WDH open up, could I have the ticket adjusted to US - DOH - WDH, and pay the appropriate revised ticketing fees? I do have concerns that if I were to have the ticket changed ex DOH, would I still be able to keep the US - DOH leg that I have already secured? Let's say space on US - DOH was no longer available, is it safe to say that once I have the first leg secured, I can keep it despite making changes to the next leg ex DOH?

In the end, should no availability remain DOH - WDH, I'll need to get a ticket JNB or CPT - WDH, which I am OK with.

This course of action sound ok, or best to wait till June or July when perhaps space is opened up for DOH - WDH?
I haven't checked award availability, but you may be able to do US-DOH-JNB-WDH with the last leg as BA/Comair. I found BA/Comair award availability pretty decent in the past.

With the usual BA fees of course

But bookable on the same AA awards PNR.
Old May 29, 2018, 1:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is a valid routing accoring to QR's routing rules, however If ITA is quoting correctly, I would defintely not suggest including JNB-WDH as part of the ticket

For JFK-DOH-JNB-WDH in business class
Originally Posted by ITA
BA YQ surcharge (YQ) $707.00
To purchase JNB-WDH as a standalone ticket would could $111 economy class or $269 business class
Old May 29, 2018, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is a valid routing accoring to QR's routing rules, however If ITA is quoting correctly, I would defintely not suggest including JNB-WDH as part of the ticket

For JFK-DOH-JNB-WDH in business class

To purchase JNB-WDH as a standalone ticket would could $111 economy class or $269 business class
How can the YQ be over $700 when the J fare posted is $269? I did some searches on the op's dates and found it to be $90.

I did a dummy award booking and found very low Y award availability but J awards were relatively plentiful and the total charge was $131. About 47% of the BA J fare and about 33% of the fares for SA and SW on the same route.

Old May 29, 2018, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
How can the YQ be over $700 when the J fare posted is $269? I did some searches on the op's dates and found it to be $90.

I did a dummy award booking and found very low Y award availability but J awards were relatively plentiful and the total charge was $131. About 47% of the BA J fare and about 33% of the fares for SA and SW on the same route.

With JFK-WDH as t through ticket , it is the YQ listed for that journey.

For JFK-WDHon QR only , the taxes and charges, according to Matrix is

Originally Posted by ITA
Qatar Passenger Facility Charge Pfc (G4) $9.60
Qatar Passenger Service Charge Arrivals (PZ) $0.50
QR YQ surcharge (YQ) $602.00
QR YR surcharge (YR) $17.00
US International Departure Tax (US) $18.30
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $5.60
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $4.50
There is a $619 YQ/YR component which is listed as QRs
Since that is a QR YQ and YR, these would not be charged by AA ; also would be exemted from the $18.30 and $4.50 taxes

If booking JFK-WDH via DOH and JNB

Originally Posted by ITA
South Africa Passenger Service Charge (ZA) $14.50
South Africa Passenger Safety Charge (EV) $1.90
South Africa Asc Charge (UM) $1.80
BA YQ surcharge (YQ) $707.00
Qatar Passenger Facility Charge Pfc (G4) $9.60
Qatar Passenger Service Charge Departures (PZ) $4.10
QR YR surcharge (YR) $17.00
US International Departure Tax (US) $18.30
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $5.60
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $4.50
In this case the YR of $17 is still listed as being for QR, but the YQ in this case , which is $707 , is listed as being a BA YQ which would not be exempt

$707 plus the extra taxes of $41 , would make it an extra $748 over just going QR

If ITA is misquoting the YQs, then it could be different. I would have thought that there would have been 2 YQs - one of $602 for QR ( based on YQ to JNB ) plus another for BA , however it is simply showing a BA YQ of $707

Obviously, when booked standalone, the BA charge is simply that for the JNB-WDH sector - for an economy fare this is as low as $8.82 plus $75.00 surcharge plus $26.20 or for business class, $151.60 plus $90.00 surcharge plus $26.20 in taxes. Given that the base fares are $8.82 / $151.60 , these would be really bad value for award flights

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 29, 2018 at 1:33 pm
Old May 29, 2018, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
With JFK-WDH as t through ticket , it is the YQ listed for that journey.

For JFK-WDHon QR only , the taxes and charges, according to Matrix is

There is a $619 YQ/YR component which is listed as QRs
Since that is a QR YQ and YR, these would not be charged by AA ; also would be exemted from the $18.30 and $4.50 taxes

If booking JFK-WDH via DOH and JNB

In this case the YR of $17 is still listed as being for QR, but the YQ in this case , which is $707 , is listed as being a BA YQ which would not be exempt

$707 plus the extra taxes of $41 , would make it an extra $748 over just going QR

If ITA is misquoting the YQs, then it could be different. I would have thought that there would have been 2 YQs - one of $602 for QR ( based on YQ to JNB ) plus another for BA , however it is simply showing a BA YQ of $707

Obviously, when booked standalone, the BA charge is simply that for the JNB-WDH sector - for an economy fare this is as low as $8.82 plus $75.00 surcharge plus $26.20 in economy or $151.60 plus $90.00 surcharge plus $26.20 in taxes. Given that the base fares are $8.82 / $151.60 , these would be really bad value for award flights
So if you add 1 BA segment to a multisegment award flight AA charges you the YQ for the non BA segments?
Old May 29, 2018, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
So if you add 1 BA segment to a multisegment award flight AA charges you the YQ for the non BA segments?
AA charges whatever the BA surcharge is - according to ITA, BA's YQ for a journey of US-DOH-JNB-WDH is $707

If the BA YQ is $707, then that is what AA will charge
Old May 30, 2018, 7:35 pm

I am going to be in Dubai following a cruise. I started looking for award possibilities, and realized I have to give up on Emirates-there is no way I will have those kinds of points for dw and I. I was thinking using my AA miles for Qater. Is it possible to connect via miles from Dubai to Doha, so I can then (hopefully) catch a business class ticket back to the states?
Old May 30, 2018, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by munchers
I am going to be in Dubai following a cruise. I started looking for award possibilities, and realized I have to give up on Emirates-there is no way I will have those kinds of points for dw and I. I was thinking using my AA miles for Qater. Is it possible to connect via miles from Dubai to Doha, so I can then (hopefully) catch a business class ticket back to the states?
given that QR is unable to fly to Dubai, I suspect that you will need 2 awards; have you considered RJ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.