Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2022, 9:22 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA Gold, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by rajhyd99
Any suggestion on how to look for J award (70K) on Qatar flight from DFW/IAH preferably but can reposition to another airport to India (DEL/BLR/HYD/BOM) in 1st week of June 2022. I tried to search DFW/LAX/JFK-DOH segment and its only showing AA flight JKF-DOH and mileage is around 120K. Is QR J Awards black dates in June 2022 ?
I don’t believe you can book award first class on QR with partners (i.e AA, AS etc), only business U.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 9:26 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by rice4u
I don’t believe you can book award first class on QR with partners (i.e AA, AS etc), only business U.
Since when? Sure they parked their planes that had F (only the A380) during covid, but this isn't Star or Sky. No reason you can't use AA or AS miles to book QR F.

And, it should be noted that QR does not fly F to the US.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 9:33 pm

Any suggestion on how to look for J award (70K) on Qatar flight from DFW/IAH preferably but can reposition to another airport to India (DEL/BLR/HYD/BOM) in 1st week of June 2022. I tried to search DFW/LAX/JFK-DOH segment and its only showing AA flight JKF-DOH and mileage is around 120K. Is QR J Awards black dates in June 2022 ?
You are probably SOL on finding availability in June right now. You might be able to find it from non-OW hubs. I would look at YUL and you might get lucky. Look on aa.com for the overwater leg only.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 6:11 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
That’s a good idea, I do and I’ll make sure to set an alert for any changes whenever Expertflyer is back up and running again.
I wasn't aware that Expert Flyer was down. It's been working fine for me. Are you unable to reach it?
Old Feb 21, 2022, 6:18 am

It's not a black-out date, but simply that QR has not made any additional award seats available. June 2022 flights were loaded approximately July 2021, so about seven months ago. Any award seats that were available have likely been obtained by others. If you want to use AA miles then be flexible and search for other airlines on other routes.

The post you replied to was specifically looking for business class awards. It used "J" as shorthand for "business class". First class awards typically book into Z.

Originally Posted by skunker
You are probably SOL on finding availability in June right now. You might be able to find it from non-OW hubs. I would look at YUL and you might get lucky. Look on aa.com for the overwater leg only.
And be sure to only select an AA flight that has SAAver award inventory (look at the "Details" tab and be sure it books into U for business).
Old Feb 21, 2022, 7:47 am

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Originally Posted by anabolism
It's not a black-out date, but simply that QR has not made any additional award seats available. June 2022 flights were loaded approximately July 2021, so about seven months ago. Any award seats that were available have likely been obtained by others. If you want to use AA miles then be flexible and search for other airlines on other routes.

The post you replied to was specifically looking for business class awards. It used "J" as shorthand for "business class". First class awards typically book into Z.

And be sure to only select an AA flight that has SAAver award inventory (look at the "Details" tab and be sure it books into U for business).
I am open to other airlines in business class also but not able to find anything to India in June 2020. All it shows is 155K which includes JFK-DEL on AA.com. Do I need to use different site to find award tickets ?
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by dfw88
I have a version of the "AA booking not visible on QR site" that I want to ask here. I booked two connecting QR flights (US-DOH-Asia) using AAdvantage miles. I got the QR PNR (I think you used to have to call in, but it's now visible on the booking in AA.com) and went to the QR website. I saw the Contact Details pop-up and when I entered my information I got the normal error that the "same frequent flyer number has been entered twice." Fine. I used RJ.com to select my seats, but I'd still like to clean up the PNR so I can access my booking there and select meals as I get closer. I called in and the agent could see the two FF numbers, one of which is my actual number and the other of which is something else entirely. He said he couldn't clean it up for me and I'd have to call AA, which I don't think is true, but whatever, HUCA. The next agent said he could only see one FF number in the booking. Great! So I tried to log in again and got the same error. Next I tried the Twitter team who suggested I call in, so I did that a third time. The third agent confirmed that he only sees one FF number (the correct one) but when I try to log in I keep getting the same error. Again, seats are already assigned, so I don't know that being able to log in is essential (not that assigning seats is essential), but it just seems weird I can't get this figured out. As a side note, my wife and I are booked in separate PNRs bc the awards came from our respective AAdvantage accounts. Once I cleaned hers up on RJ.com I can pull up her PNR on QR's website without any problems. Any suggestions on how to get this resolved?
Encountered the same issue this weekend. The solution I stumbled upon was to access the reservation on Finnair's website, modify the passenger information, and remove the FF number. After doing so and returning to QR's website, I was then able to provide the contact information without getting that error message. And after getting past that, I was able to access the seat and meal selection, etc.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by UncleLeo
Originally Posted by dfw88
I have a version of the "AA booking not visible on QR site" that I want to ask here. I booked two connecting QR flights (US-DOH-Asia) using AAdvantage miles. I got the QR PNR (I think you used to have to call in, but it's now visible on the booking in AA.com) and went to the QR website. I saw the Contact Details pop-up and when I entered my information I got the normal error that the "same frequent flyer number has been entered twice." Fine. I used RJ.com to select my seats, but I'd still like to clean up the PNR so I can access my booking there and select meals as I get closer. I called in and the agent could see the two FF numbers, one of which is my actual number and the other of which is something else entirely. He said he couldn't clean it up for me and I'd have to call AA, which I don't think is true, but whatever, HUCA. The next agent said he could only see one FF number in the booking. Great! So I tried to log in again and got the same error. Next I tried the Twitter team who suggested I call in, so I did that a third time. The third agent confirmed that he only sees one FF number (the correct one) but when I try to log in I keep getting the same error. Again, seats are already assigned, so I don't know that being able to log in is essential (not that assigning seats is essential), but it just seems weird I can't get this figured out. As a side note, my wife and I are booked in separate PNRs bc the awards came from our respective AAdvantage accounts. Once I cleaned hers up on RJ.com I can pull up her PNR on QR's website without any problems. Any suggestions on how to get this resolved?
Encountered the same issue this weekend. The solution I stumbled upon was to access the reservation on Finnair's website, modify the passenger information, and remove the FF number. After doing so and returning to QR's website, I was then able to provide the contact information without getting that error message. And after getting past that, I was able to access the seat and meal selection, etc.
I have two QR award flights for later on this summer where I had the same issues. I noticed a couple of days ago (while checking on a QR schedule change) that the QR site now allows you to fully manage AA award bookings on the QR site. I would try again and hopefully you would be able to select seats, update passenger and contact information, etc.

Look at the last few posts in the QR forum thread:

Cannot select seat online
Old Feb 21, 2022, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I have two QR award flights for later on this summer where I had the same issues. I noticed a couple of days ago (while checking on a QR schedule change) that the QR site now allows you to fully manage AA award bookings on the QR site. I would try again and hopefully you would be able to select seats, update passenger and contact information, etc.

Look at the last few posts in the QR forum thread:

Cannot select seat online
And that's not even the only thread about it. Shared my experience here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33642504-post80.html
QR becoming more difficult with seat selection?
Old Feb 21, 2022, 2:00 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

That’s a good idea, I do and I’ll make sure to set an alert for any changes whenever Expertflyer is back up and running again.
ExpertFlyer has been and continues to be available. If you have questions please email us directly at customercare@
Old Feb 21, 2022, 2:21 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
ExpertFlyer has been and continues to be available. If you have questions please email us directly at customercare@
Does it work for QR, EK and BA yet?
Old Feb 21, 2022, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Does it work for QR, EK and BA yet?
Well, EF used to show QR award availability, but now it just shows an error:
QR award inventory is temporarily unavailable due to an issue with our data provider. They are actively working to fix the issue. Thank you for your patience.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 2:45 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Exactly my point. EF is fairly useless for my searches atm.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:54 pm

I am open to other airlines in business class also but not able to find anything to India in June 2020. All it shows is 155K which includes JFK-DEL on AA.com. Do I need to use different site to find award tickets ?
If you can't find award space searching point-to-point, the next thing to try is searching connection-to-connection, e.g., DFW-DOH, IAH-DOH, DFW-AUH, IAH-AUH, DFW-CMB, IAH-CMB, DFW-LHR, then DOH-DEL, DOH-HYD, etc. Although, I took a look for you, and it seems that award space to India is quite limited then. There are award seats on UL out of CMB the last day or two of May, and there's some award space on BA out of LHR the first few days of June.

Last edited by anabolism; Feb 21, 2022 at 7:00 pm Reason: missing "i" in "it"
Old Feb 21, 2022, 9:34 pm

I emailed EF a week ago about this error message when searching for awards on QR, and got this response from them:
"Thank you for your email. We apologize, but we do not have an ETA on the resolution at this time. We will notify you when it has been fixed."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.