Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being youll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that arent for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards offline, and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Old Feb 9, 2022, 12:11 pm
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
On day X, AA is showing USA-DOH (non-stop) available, and on day X+1 DOH-AUH available, but wont show it as a connecting itinerary.
is this something i can have an AA rep put together for 70k miles?
Old Feb 9, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by DreAAmliner
On day X, AA is showing USA-DOH (non-stop) available, and on day X+1 DOH-AUH available, but wont show it as a connecting itinerary.
is this something i can have an AA rep put together for 70k miles?
Yes, I think so if the connection is less than 24 hours. Put USA-DOH on hold and call AA to add the flight to AUH and it should price at 70k.

ETA: not sure this will work though if your second leg is in EY and not QR.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 2:09 pm
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by friedablass
Yes, I think so if the connection is less than 24 hours. Put USA-DOH on hold and call AA to add the flight to AUH and it should price at 70k.

ETA: not sure this will work though if your second leg is in EY and not QR.
Got a call-back from AA and, yes, they were able to ticket as a connecting for 70k total (QR on both legs).
Its 2022. Things like this need to work better. But, alas. AA.....
Old Feb 14, 2022, 1:05 pm

I have a version of the "AA booking not visible on QR site" that I want to ask here. I booked two connecting QR flights (US-DOH-Asia) using AAdvantage miles. I got the QR PNR (I think you used to have to call in, but it's now visible on the booking in AA.com) and went to the QR website. I saw the Contact Details pop-up and when I entered my information I got the normal error that the "same frequent flyer number has been entered twice." Fine. I used RJ.com to select my seats, but I'd still like to clean up the PNR so I can access my booking there and select meals as I get closer. I called in and the agent could see the two FF numbers, one of which is my actual number and the other of which is something else entirely. He said he couldn't clean it up for me and I'd have to call AA, which I don't think is true, but whatever, HUCA. The next agent said he could only see one FF number in the booking. Great! So I tried to log in again and got the same error. Next I tried the Twitter team who suggested I call in, so I did that a third time. The third agent confirmed that he only sees one FF number (the correct one) but when I try to log in I keep getting the same error. Again, seats are already assigned, so I don't know that being able to log in is essential (not that assigning seats is essential), but it just seems weird I can't get this figured out. As a side note, my wife and I are booked in separate PNRs bc the awards came from our respective AAdvantage accounts. Once I cleaned hers up on RJ.com I can pull up her PNR on QR's website without any problems. Any suggestions on how to get this resolved?
Old Feb 15, 2022, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, ANA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Diamond
How risky is it to add an additional segment to an award ticket? Flying to Dubai next month as a family of 4, currently booked as two separate tickets: SEA-DOH in J (AA award), DOH-DXB in Y (cash booking).

If DOH-DXB award space opens up, is it pretty simple for agents to add that segment without disturbing the SEA-DOH segment? Would prefer SEA-DOH-DXB as a single ticket for simplicity and to save money, but worried about them messing up the longhaul segment somehow (e.g. due to an untrained agent or technical glitch).
Old Feb 15, 2022, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by DrSbaitso
How risky is it to add an additional segment to an award ticket? Flying to Dubai next month as a family of 4, currently booked as two separate tickets: SEA-DOH in J (AA award), DOH-DXB in Y (cash booking).

If DOH-DXB award space opens up, is it pretty simple for agents to add that segment without disturbing the SEA-DOH segment? Would prefer SEA-DOH-DXB as a single ticket for simplicity and to save money, but worried about them messing up the longhaul segment somehow (e.g. due to an untrained agent or technical glitch).
Assuming the agent knows what they're doing then yea, it's a relatively simple change.

If award space does open up, about the only thing you can do is call and ask. A good agent will say no problem. But if the agent seems hesitant or you don't get a good feeling, or they insist you still need availability on the whole itinerary to make the change, just thank them and HUCA.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 6:44 am

I booked 6 QR awards with AA over the past few weeks, but one of the last reservations turned out weird.

I have AA ticket numbers issued, reservation is TICKETED, AA reference but the QR booking reference is only numbers. Gave QR a call and they said they "don't see it in the system" yet. They were able to find the reservation but cannot manage it, told me to try 4-5 days before departure.

Should I be worried?
Old Feb 19, 2022, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by dfw88
I have a version of the "AA booking not visible on QR site" that I want to ask here. I booked two connecting QR flights (US-DOH-Asia) using AAdvantage miles. I got the QR PNR (I think you used to have to call in, but it's now visible on the booking in AA.com) and went to the QR website. I saw the Contact Details pop-up and when I entered my information I got the normal error that the "same frequent flyer number has been entered twice." Fine. I used RJ.com to select my seats, but I'd still like to clean up the PNR so I can access my booking there and select meals as I get closer. I called in and the agent could see the two FF numbers, one of which is my actual number and the other of which is something else entirely. He said he couldn't clean it up for me and I'd have to call AA, which I don't think is true, but whatever, HUCA. The next agent said he could only see one FF number in the booking. Great! So I tried to log in again and got the same error. Next I tried the Twitter team who suggested I call in, so I did that a third time. The third agent confirmed that he only sees one FF number (the correct one) but when I try to log in I keep getting the same error. Again, seats are already assigned, so I don't know that being able to log in is essential (not that assigning seats is essential), but it just seems weird I can't get this figured out. As a side note, my wife and I are booked in separate PNRs bc the awards came from our respective AAdvantage accounts. Once I cleaned hers up on RJ.com I can pull up her PNR on QR's website without any problems. Any suggestions on how to get this resolved?

Same issue for me too. No clue on how to fix this bug/glitch.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: HH Diamond, AA Gold, Marriot Plat
I'm looking for 2 biz to the Maldives 3rd week of Aug 2022. I have little over 70k AA, 70k Alaska mileage, 100k Citi TYP, 94k VS, 235k Amex MR. Wife also has 70k Alaska mileage, 90k TYP, & over 250k MR and she just approved for citi aa biz for the 65k sub. I been using AA for award search, but none Qsuite nada, only BA, EK & Royal Jordanian. My questions to y'all that are more experienced, how should I best go about securing 2 QSuite 1-way to MLE for what we currently have. Can depart anywhere from the U.S.

TIA
Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by rice4u
I'm looking for 2 biz to the Maldives 3rd week of Aug 2022. I have little over 70k AA, 70k Alaska mileage, 100k Citi TYP, 94k VS, 235k Amex MR. Wife also has 70k Alaska mileage, 90k TYP, & over 250k MR and she just approved for citi aa biz for the 65k sub. I been using AA for award search, but none Qsuite nada, only BA, EK & Royal Jordanian. My questions to y'all that are more experienced, how should I best go about securing 2 QSuite 1-way to MLE for what we currently have. Can depart anywhere from the U.S.
A one-way in business from the US to MLE will be 70k AA miles, so you're going to have to book 2 separate awards from each of your accounts (assuming your wife can get the 65k SUB + 5k more).

Start your search for just one person, then expand to two if you find anything.

Search every QR gateway in the US to just DOH, if you find anything then search the DOH-MLE segment. Be prepared to take a voluntary downgrade to coach on one segment, then just keep checking back to see if business opens up.

At the end of the day if award availability isn't there it isn't there, you could have millions of AA miles and it wouldn't make any difference.
rice4u likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by rice4u
I'm looking for 2 biz to the Maldives 3rd week of Aug 2022.
When booking award tickets, flexibility is the key; having fixed date requirements can be extremely frustrating. QR might open up more space when it gets close to the flight dates, or they might not. You might need to decide what is more important: flying QR in Qsuite or using award miles. If you really want to fly QR in Qsuite, you might need to buy a ticket. If you really want to use miles for an award, you might need to fly other airlines.

If you do buy a ticket, QR is currently offering a generous policy allowing the option of cancelling for a full refund, even normally non-refundable discount fares. So if you did buy a ticket and subsequently award space opened up, you could cancel for a full refund.
aztimm, DiamondMile and rice4u like this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
When booking award tickets, flexibility is the key; having fixed date requirements can be extremely frustrating. QR might open up more space when it gets close to the flight dates, or they might not. You might need to decide what is more important: flying QR in Qsuite or using award miles. If you really want to fly QR in Qsuite, you might need to buy a ticket. If you really want to use miles for an award, you might need to fly other airlines.

If you do buy a ticket, QR is currently offering a generous policy allowing the option of cancelling for a full refund, even normally non-refundable discount fares. So if you did buy a ticket and subsequently award space opened up, you could cancel for a full refund.
Appreciated for the advices guys. So I end up moving my hotel reservations 1 day to the right and able to book 2 QSuites from YUL>DOH>MLE. I booked mine using 70 AA miles and the wife with 85k Alaska (end up buying additional 5k for ~118$) +100 tax. I thought this was pretty good deal since each ticket was 3500$ . Again, thanks for the advice about flexibility
Old Feb 20, 2022, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Very glad you were able to book QR J awards! One thing, especially with YUL instead of LAX or JFK, is that there's always risk of QR swapping a non-Qsuite plane, so keep an eye on it. If you have an Expert Flyer subscription, you can set an Aircraft Change alert. If it fires, be sure to re-arm it as it could change again.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
Very glad you were able to book QR J awards! One thing, especially with YUL instead of LAX or JFK, is that there's always risk of QR swapping a non-Qsuite plane, so keep an eye on it. If you have an Expert Flyer subscription, you can set an Aircraft Change alert. If it fires, be sure to re-arm it as it could change again.
Thats a good idea, I do and Ill make sure to set an alert for any changes whenever Expertflyer is back up and running again.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Any suggestion on how to look for J award (70K) on Qatar flight from DFW/IAH preferably but can reposition to another airport to India (DEL/BLR/HYD/BOM) in 1st week of June 2022. I tried to search DFW/LAX/JFK-DOH segment and its only showing AA flight JKF-DOH and mileage is around 120K. Is QR J Awards black dates in June 2022 ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.