Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lost upgrade / upgraded seat shenanigans? [master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost upgrade / upgraded seat shenanigans? [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2017, 4:30 am

Whoops, just realized the error of my ways... These flights in question were booked using miles. It just so happens when we've been upgraded in the past on these routes, we were on paid tickets without our lap infant. So the award tickets were the obvious issue, not the infant. I rarely book domestic coach with my miles, so I forgot aa only let's ck and exp upgrade award tickets.
Lost likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
False alarm.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by arollins
False alarm.
Yup, I really thought it was maybe due to the infant and possible oxygen mask counts on the CRJ, but now I realize I just wasn't looking at the obvious answer.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by bmrisko
Whoops, just realized the error of my ways... These flights in question were booked using miles. It just so happens when we've been upgraded in the past on these routes, we were on paid tickets without our lap infant. So the award tickets were the obvious issue, not the infant. I rarely book domestic coach with my miles, so I forgot aa only let's ck and exp upgrade award tickets.
But, you said you had requested upgrades, so that was even more confusing.
You also said nobody was on the upgrade list. If you had requested upgrades, you would be on the list. If you don't see yourself there, that would be an indication of a problem, if you had requested an upgrade

Last edited by mvoight; Dec 30, 2017 at 3:41 pm
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Generally: Unless one has status and has requested an upgrade, just having status won’t get one an operational upgrade, regardless of how empty the next cabin is. And nobody who isn’t EXP will be getting upgrades on an award trip.

Some AA employees flying to or from duty assignments will get “upgraded” if there is available seating. I believe it’s in their contract.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 5:28 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by JDiver
Some AA employees flying to or from duty assignments will get “upgraded” if there is available seating. I believe it’s in their contract.
Most AA employees that I know will intentionally look for flights with available F seats, to improve their own chance of an upgrade.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:13 pm

Hubs #1, I'm #2, We Sit Down, Stranger #3 Clears

Sharing a recent story from last week's pre-holiday travel, DFW-IAD. Husband was #1 on list, I was #2 , and there was only one more stranger that was #3 (we're both Plat and were on the same PNR in paid econ). We had a gate change making the incoming plane a bit late, but we were at the gate, carefully watching the monitor, our iPhone apps, and listening (and watching) the gate agents. No sign of an upgrade so we boarded with our group. We sit down, I check the app on my phone, and #3 has a checkbox by their name. I was quite annoyed they didn't clear my husband first (he would have accepted, even if that meant I'd be alone in coach). I took a screenshot and have submitted my complaint to AA (waiting for a response).

We've been in similar situations before and have had just one of us upgraded (and gate agents have asked about separating us). I assume this was simply a situation of a rushed gate agent filling a seat during a hectic afternoon, but the pessimist in me speculates that someone was doing a favor for a friend and figured they could skip us without us noticing. I suppose the lesson here is to be proactive and kindly strike up a conversation about upgrading my husband so I can enjoy a good movie/book in coach (hardyharhar), but I really don't like bothering gate agents when things are hectic (gate changes, late planes, standby lists, unaccompanied minors, wheelchair assists, a guy with oxygen, and inexperienced holiday travelers - I feel like an idiot bothering them).

Any other couples have this happen? Often? (Or might this be a fluke?)
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by carla568
Sharing a recent story from last week's pre-holiday travel, DFW-IAD. Husband was #1 on list, I was #2 , and there was only one more stranger that was #3 (we're both Plat and were on the same PNR in paid econ). We had a gate change making the incoming plane a bit late, but we were at the gate, carefully watching the monitor, our iPhone apps, and listening (and watching) the gate agents. No sign of an upgrade so we boarded with our group. We sit down, I check the app on my phone, and #3 has a checkbox by their name. I was quite annoyed they didn't clear my husband first (he would have accepted, even if that meant I'd be alone in coach). I took a screenshot and have submitted my complaint to AA (waiting for a response).

We've been in similar situations before and have had just one of us upgraded (and gate agents have asked about separating us). I assume this was simply a situation of a rushed gate agent filling a seat during a hectic afternoon, but the pessimist in me speculates that someone was doing a favor for a friend and figured they could skip us without us noticing. I suppose the lesson here is to be proactive and kindly strike up a conversation about upgrading my husband so I can enjoy a good movie/book in coach (hardyharhar), but I really don't like bothering gate agents when things are hectic (gate changes, late planes, standby lists, unaccompanied minors, wheelchair assists, a guy with oxygen, and inexperienced holiday travelers - I feel like an idiot bothering them).

We are both EXP and ALWAYS split the PNR for this same reason. Why leave it to chance, no need to be asked about splitting, or getting skipped if only one seat opens up.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by carla568

You need to split the PNR so that each of you can clear. Otherwise, if there is only 1 seat, it will skip both of you and go to the first available solo passenger.

Next time just ensure it is split and that way worst case one of you will clear vs neither.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
The willingness to split is recorded at tome of upgrade request, with a split/no split indicator. That must be set to Y.

Did you address this at time of upgrade request? Or it can be done before flight goes to airport control. But they dont ask at the gate, they follow the code.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
In this situation, I always inform the GA that in willing to split the PNR if only one seat is available. Its worked every time.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:22 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I flew BOS-PHL recently and 2 F seats went out empty while there were 17 on the UG list! We backed out of the gate early, so it's not like they were rushing to beat the clock. When the GA came onboard with final paperwork, he looked at his manifest, looked at the 2 seats and nodded like they were empty, just like he wanted. Very odd.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I flew BOS-PHL recently and 2 F seats went out empty while there were 17 on the UG list! We backed out of the gate early, so it's not like they were rushing to beat the clock. When the GA came onboard with final paperwork, he looked at his manifest, looked at the 2 seats and nodded like they were empty, just like he wanted. Very odd.
Could the seats (or seat IFE if present) have been INOP?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:47 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Could the seats (or seat IFE if present) have been INOP?
​​​​​​
It was one of the ancient 321s without any IFE. Neither seat appeared to be out of service and I moved to the one beside me (after asking the FA) so I could have a window seat, without issue.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
​​​​​​
It was one of the ancient 321s without any IFE. Neither seat appeared to be out of service and I moved to the one beside me (after asking the FA) so I could have a window seat, without issue.
Does sound quite odd then...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.