Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lost upgrade / upgraded seat shenanigans? [master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost upgrade / upgraded seat shenanigans? [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by sts603
TheBOSMan sent me his flight info. I have reviewed it. Unfortunately, I don't have insight into the pre-airport control processing to seee what was and wasn't done correctly.

I don't think there is a clear explanation here. But I don't think it necessarily means any change to upgrade orders. As in the other referenced thread, the priority lists I have looked at this week all looked normal.
Since the other passenger received email notification of the upgrade, that indicates the upgrade was done during normal periodic upgrade processing, not any kind of manual intervention or slipping into the timing hole. Together with the report that the other passenger was not using SWUs, that suggests some sort of problem with TheBOSMan's upgrade request prior to airport control.

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Through AA.com. I book with OTA, then enter the PNR into AA.com when logged into my account. I then go in and change seats and request upgrades
Did you happen to check the reservation during the 100-hour EXP upgrade window to see if the upgrades still showed as requested?

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
The corporate travel policy at my employment does not allow first class travel on domestic trip for us at the lower end of corporate ladder. As much as it does not make sense, I have to provide receipts indicating “Economy” for reimbursement. I totally understand the situation where instant upgrade fare is cheaper than full economy. But that is company policy, nothing I can do about it.
If the F fare is indeed cheaper, can't you go ahead and book Y, then call AA to "upfare" (not sure if it's still an upfair if the F fare is cheaper)? I don't know if the AA policy to waive the change fee when upfairing counts when the F fare is cheaper, but if not the reduced fare should offset the change fee. If AA does waive the change fee and refund the difference (or issue a voucher), you could always list the lower fare on your expense report along with the original receipt, to avoid the situation of claiming an expense larger than you ended up paying.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I'm not saying there is occasion abuse but to the pax too many unknowns are usually present to determine if a GA is playing games.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 9:51 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Back on topic

Grammar and vocabulary discussion complete. Back on topic please.

/Moderator
Old Nov 3, 2013, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by anabolism
Since the other passenger received email notification of the upgrade, that indicates the upgrade was done during normal periodic upgrade processing, not any kind of manual intervention or slipping into the timing hole. Together with the report that the other passenger was not using SWUs, that suggests some sort of problem with TheBOSMan's upgrade request prior to airport control.

Did you happen to check the reservation during the 100-hour EXP upgrade window to see if the upgrades still showed as requested?
I'm starting to wonder if I (and others) are having upgrade problems, something related to upgrades actually going through. It is strange as clearly the upgrades are there at airport control and I get upgraded at the gate at least on the example in my original post.

I still haven't been upgraded for one of my flights tomorrow on my return from this trip when it seems multiple F seats have been, and still are available. The number dwindles but I've yet to be upgraded. It is different as it is a fairly major route on a busy travel day, so that wouldn't surprise me that it was actually AA holding back inventory, which I am ok with (and am surprised they don't do it more often, I personally would if I was AA). However, I booked the flight in late June, so I somehow doubt there could be multiple EXPs ahead of me who booked earlier, and the flight has gone from F7 to F5. However, it is DFW-BOS on a Monday so it can be a tenuous upgrade chance anyway. I'd think at F5 with less than 24 hours to go, I should be upgraded already but again this makes more sense to me than my situation on the outbound that I mentioned in the first post. I checked in tonight for tomorrow's flight, made sure my upgrade showed as "Requested" online, and upon checkin the system notified me that "Your upgrade request has been added to the airport upgrade standby list." So, AA"s system knows I've requested the upgrade.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
Have a strange one to add to the list. Outbound there were 12 open seats at t-72. Seats dwindled to 3 at t-24, no ug cleared. At t-4, I was 4 on the list. Gate agent announced First checked in full, no one cleared at the gate. On the return, during olci, it showed my request as being noted, however my second segment (first was on eagle, no ug avail) cleared into X, seat unassigned. I never got a cleared email. Stranger things have happened, but I'm sensing a disturbance in the force.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kreative03
I'm sensing a disturbance in the force.
This is the best description yet. ^
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by PainCorp
Sorry, EXPs

This reaction is why we have so many of these threads. You don't know the facts, so you can't immediately jump to she did something wrong.
I beg to differ.
1. I did not "jump"on the GA.
2. Research has time and again proved that a proper explanation placated a CUSTOMER when s/ he feels wronged.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
This reaction is why we have so many of these threads. You don't know the facts, so you can't immediately jump to she did something wrong.
Originally Posted by HMPS
I beg to differ.
1. I did not "jump"on the GA.
2. Research has time and again proved that a proper explanation placated a CUSTOMER when s/ he feels wronged.
He didn't say you jumped on the GA, he said "you can't immediately jump to she did something wrong" as in "you can't immediately jumpt to [the conclusion] she did something wrong."
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:53 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sukn
Calling the EXP desk at T-100 isn't going to do you any good since agents can no longer see X/R nor can they "resubmit" your upgrade request like they used to do in the past.
Interestingly, I had an EXP agent do just this recently. With a pending X upgrade and a bunch of open seats, she called to try and "push it through." It was unsuccessful (and cleared a bit later), but she was able to try.

Cheers.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by brp
Interestingly, I had an EXP agent do just this recently. With a pending X upgrade and a bunch of open seats, she called to try and "push it through." It was unsuccessful (and cleared a bit later), but she was able to try.

Cheers.
Was it within 24-hrs. of travel? If so, the agent probably called the DOD desk and since they can't help with X, the answer came back negative.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:09 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was it within 24-hrs. of travel? If so, the agent probably called the DOD desk and since they can't help with X, the answer came back negative.
Yup. Sounds very plausible.

Cheers.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Another recent example that things are a little screwy at the moment.

An EXP thru passenger was #5 on the list with four originating EXPs in front of him.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
I'm still waiting for the first person to say, "I was upgraded after being number 7 on the upgrade list". For each person that is wronged on an upgrade, there has to be someone who was treated more favorably. Anyone experience this lately?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:38 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gulfstreamfan
I'm still waiting for the first person to say, "I was upgraded after being number 7 on the upgrade list". For each person that is wronged on an upgrade, there has to be someone who was treated more favorably. Anyone experience this lately?
And willing to talk about it here? Not bloody likely

Cheers.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Another recent example that things are a little screwy at the moment.

An EXP thru passenger was #5 on the list with four originating EXPs in front of him.
10 bucks says that the thru EXP was missing the T designation on the upgrade request. If he checked in manually or was otherwise rebooked due to IRROPs or whatever, then an agent could easily have made this omission.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.