Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lost upgrade / upgraded seat shenanigans? [master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost upgrade / upgraded seat shenanigans? [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2020, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Norkler
OK she was number one and very happy to be upgraded. no tomfoolery Thank you for the information as I could not think of a reason like an SWU that would have generated a thank you note.
Were you really standing so close that you could discern the recipient's email address? You must have great eyesight. That said, I do peer at people's phones to see what their boarding group is as they rush forward - usually it's 4 or 5, if not higher - when the first call goes out. But I can barely make that out.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:38 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Norkler
Ok, I admit this upgrade tragedy is only support by circumstantial evidence but i think I have a pretty good case that my upgrade was in fact stolen.

I had booked the day before about T-30 the last nonstop out of DFW for Thursday night Feb 27 Flight 1774 leaving at 8:53 pm. I had a good chance as an EXP with 32K spend. I get upgraded at DFW but not as often as my other airports. My travel is typical booked next day for anywhere domestic with absolutely no schedule- so I have varied experiences with getting upgraded. DFW is one of the few airports that if i'm not upgraded before check-in I'm number 2 or 3 on the list.

Now I usually line up 5 to 10 minutes before boarding. Just a comfort thing being a little early at the gate. So being a 737-800 I'm thinking I might have a last minute upgrade as I was number 2 but that was not to be as it went to number 1 on the list just a few minutes before boarding. This is where it gets interesting. The lady goes up to get her new ticket and come back and stands right next to me and she is visibly excited to have received the upgrade. OK I like getting an upgrade but this happens often enough as a EXP is not as great thrill as it once was. She takes her ticket and takes a picture with her phone and sends out a social media message in big letters UPGRADE. Really this is a seasoned traveler- I think not. She than proceeded to text out her upgrade news and this is the really interesting part she sends an email thanking someone apparently with an aa.com email address- so no this is not your typical AAdvantage upgrade scenario. I suspect more than tomfoolery I suspect that employee's within AA are given out upgrades outside the AAdvantage rules.
It would have been nice to have my upgrade but I did get a nice coach seat with an empty middle seat so almost first class. It would also be nice if I could trust AA to have a fairly implemented program.
I'm EXP and when I get my nemesis routes, especially at the gate, I post about them on my social media.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 1:41 pm

Have a recent upgrade shenanigan story. Wife and I both EXP check in for flights and listed for upgrade. Our PNRs got split. We end up #1 and #4 on the list. At gate of connecting flight in MIA, we ask if our PNRs could be connected. Was told they would not do it as the flight was oversold and there would be 100% no upgrades. On board, few minutes before closing the door, the two pax (#2 and #3 ) across from us get upgraded. When the gate agent came on with the new tickets, the other pax asked if it was one seat or two. Agent gave them both open seats. A bit puzzled, I ask one of the other agents on the flight why they skipped my wife who was #1 on the list. She didnt know and would check. Of course, did not see her again.

I recognize there are circumstances where #2 could get upgraded over #1 , so i emailed customer service and asked if the proper upgrade process was followed as it looked odd on the list. They wrote back that the #1 pax declined the upgrade (my wife). Needless to say, 100% false that my wife did not accept the upgrade. I explained back to customer service that was not the case. Their response - 'Sorry for the miscommunication on the upgrade, here is 5k miles'
Disappointing all around.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by stefg1007
Have a recent upgrade shenanigan story. Wife and I both EXP check in for flights and listed for upgrade. Our PNRs got split. We end up #1 and #4 on the list. At gate of connecting flight in MIA, we ask if our PNRs could be connected. Was told they would not do it as the flight was oversold and there would be 100% no upgrades. On board, few minutes before closing the door, the two pax (#2 and #3 ) across from us get upgraded. When the gate agent came on with the new tickets, the other pax asked if it was one seat or two. Agent gave them both open seats. A bit puzzled, I ask one of the other agents on the flight why they skipped my wife who was #1 on the list. She didnt know and would check. Of course, did not see her again.
That's a neat trick for a GA to be able to upgrade their friends! Incredible.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by deeruck
A bit puzzled, I ask one of the other agents on the flight why they skipped my wife who was #1 on the list. She didnt know and would check. Of course, did not see her again.
That's an even NEATER trick...for the agent to just not come back on board to answer why you got skipped. "Oops, time to close the door for an on time departure, so sorry."
onanisland likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
That's an even NEATER trick...for the agent to just not come back on board to answer why you got skipped. "Oops, time to close the door for an on time departure, so sorry."
Even neater trick is to not have same last name as your spouse so that you don't have to link your PNR if you both have the same status and EQD's. Just go for it separately unless a SWU is involved... Thus the system will be your advocate before the GA screws you!
Old Sep 11, 2020, 6:30 am

We actually had our PNR's split as we grew tired of being skipped over when only 1 seat was released at a time. Up until about 3 weeks ago, our rolling EQD was close, but now she is around 2k ahead of me. The #2 and #3 pax must have been just in between. The not relinking the PNR's wouldnt have really bugged me as much if the process was followed even with me at #4 . It would have been up to my wife to decide if she wanted to take it or not.

The departure gate was a total disaster. (#MIA) It was a once a week international ERJ flight that was oversold by quite a bit. The gate agents also had to check everyones COVID documentation. My theory is; the one gate agent was short on time. She knew #1 /#4 were together and #2 /#3 were together. It was easier for the agent to skip #1 and give it to #2 /#3 then fiddle with doing a relink or asking #1 , #2 , then possibly going back and switching someone out for #3 /#4 .

To me, the kicker is the response from CS about it being a 'misunderstanding.' After 14 years of being EXP/CP for me and both my wife and I being EXP/CP the last 5 years, at least give us a more thoughtful response. Dont care about miles or any compensation. I did reply back and ask them to escalate. We are also talking with our wallets. Those flights we have booked with cancellations on them? Not going to rebook - asking for a refund. That returning business travel? Booked on another airline.
Spiff, flyerCO, Zacnlinc and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
I recognize there are circumstances where #2 could get upgraded over #1 ,
Haven't the situations where this could occur been removed by recent changes to the way the upgrade lists are displayed?
Old Sep 12, 2020, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by deeruck
AA has some of the worst agents at MIA. I write them up constantly.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:05 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fly747first
AA has some of the worst agents at MIA. I write them up constantly.
Agreed. A few years ago my fiance and I were upgraded then downgraded by MIA agents who couldn't be bothered to apologize.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Battlefield DOWNgrade

Last Weds, Oct 6, AA621, ATL/PHX.

I had a confirmed F seat, 2D on a 321, 72hrs before departure (PPro). Went to the AClub and hit the gate a few minutes before boarding as I usually do. My digital pass magically went from 2D to 5D as I watched; went to the GA and asked what was up. GA said she'd been paging me and "explained" that someone had asked for my seat so she moved me to 5D, but I was still in F. Um, this should NEVER be a thing, GA.

I, being a relatively trusting soul, assumed this was a 5-row F 321.

It was not.

The purser couldn't help me, and the guy who bumped me out of F swapped with the guy in 1C to sit with wifey in 1A. Purser came back after takeoff and said she'd talked to the GA and was told my upgrade was "a mistake." O RLY? That's why it cleared three days out? Why it was still fine until T-minus 0? Nobody could tell me what happened. The twitter account minions said it was very odd and that they'd escalate it, but so far nothing.

What could bump me out of a confirmed F seat? The usurper was half of a couple so it's not like a solo CK showed up at the last second. Something stinks. Like a non-rev bump.

Not asking for compensation, I mean, I'm not a DYKWIA. I'd like an explanation, that's all. And I'm unlikely to get one from AA.
becks1 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Ridiculous that a few mins before the flight the GA did not know exactly what config the plane was. Did your new boarding pass say F or Y?

Once the purser brought it up to the GA and they said "you shouldn't have been upgaded" they are just making things up at that point and trying to cover for themselves.

Twitter has become relatively worthless, I would definitely send an online complaint. You won't get an explanation but it's better than doing nothing.

Keep it short, note the flight and date, you were in the AC, went to the gate and the GA downgarded you while at the gate to give your F seat to another pax with no explanation. Leave out the part about the GA initially telling you you were still in F, that's ultimately irrelevant.

This falls squarely in the shenanigans arena: Lost upgrade / upgraded seat shenanigans? [master thread]
Spiff, wrp96, Antarius and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Ridiculous that a few mins before the flight the GA did not know exactly what config the plane was. Did your new boarding pass say F or Y?
Sorry to hear about the downgrade. Really curious to the answer of JJeffrey's question here, as I believe we saw an instance of downgrade shenanigans earlier this year on FT when the class of service on the boarding pass did not match the downgraded cabin of service.

-FlyerBeek
Old Oct 13, 2021, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Whilst unfortunate, how do you know that "the guy who bumped [you] out of F" was not a CK? As a CK, I have gotten pax downgraded under mechanical situations where I had paid for F and there weren't any left F seats after all upgraders had been processed. I completely understand your disappointment and the gate agent should have at the very least checked that it was an A321 with 5 rows of F but technically, AA can downgrade someone to give the seat to a paid F pax. Moreover, it's entirely possible for CKs to travel with their spouses.

The only other explanation, which I highly doubt would have happened is that the you were downgraded to give the seat to a non-rev who may have known the gate agent. This happened to me a few times at MIA (though to be fair it was years ago) and little did they know that I had personal contacts at AA so I made sure they were invited to look for other jobs.
MasterPlanner and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
wait remember this happened to me a few months ago. It was for a connecting passenger. Connecting passengers get first priority over anyone (why I don't know) and bumped me out of a confirmed F seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.