Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lost upgrade / upgraded seat shenanigans? [master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost upgrade / upgraded seat shenanigans? [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by metallo
You certainly don't have to be at the airport 3 hrs in advance to be placed on the upgrade list. The issue here is that, if you weren't checked in, you weren't on the airport upgrade list. So, if you didn't check in until T-50m, it seems you weren't on the list around T-60 when they processed the first upgrade at the gate. (and, frankly, since the check-in deadline for INTL flights is T-60, it's unclear to me how you were able to check in at T-50 -- they actually did you a favor allowing you to fly if you've posted the timeline correctly).

Realistically, if you had gotten to the airport just 15-30 minutes earlier, this entire situation likely would have been avoided. Gate upgrades are definitely not processed 3 hours before the flight.

These are two separate issues. I absolutely agree that, if you're checked in, you shouldn't be skipped on the upgrade list simply because you aren't at the gate. This has happened to me in the past, and I've demanded the gate agents correct the situation and clear UPGs in the proper order (which they subsequently did).

However, the issue in your situation at SJD is not that you necessarily weren't at the gate, but that you weren't yet checked in when they began to process the upgrade list. You can't be on the airport upgrade list if you're not checked in, simple as that.

I suspect clearing #4 at the last minute was related to keeping the couple together and, perhaps, airport staff simply being upset at you for the earlier arguing. They could easily argue they decided to process upgrades only for those passengers who checked in on time, so I doubt you have any recourse here.

It sounds as though it may not have been a completely professional interaction on the part of the airport staff/gate agents, but you were, in fact, late here (not 2 hours late, but at least 10 minutes late checking in if you wanted to ensure you were on the upgrade list in time -- remember that everything for INTL flights needs to be done just a bit earlier).

Despite my comments above, I can sympathize a bit, because it's very tempting to show up last minute at SJD since it's generally quite a quick experience getting through security, and I like to maximize my Cabo time, but just realize when the gate agent looked at the list at T-60, you and your wife weren't on it if you weren't checked in yet.
I don't quite understand what you are getting at. If they are at the top of the upgrade list, then clearly they are checked in, and nobody in the upgrade list below them, waiting for the same seat class, should get bumped ahead of them.
They were allowed to check in at T-50. At that point, they are on the list and the list should be followed at the time a seat becomes available, whether they are at the gate or not.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mvoight
I don't quite understand what you are getting at. If they are at the top of the upgrade list, then clearly they are checked in, and nobody in the upgrade list below them, waiting for the same seat class, should get bumped ahead of them.
They were allowed to check in at T-50. At that point, they are on the list and the list should be followed at the time a seat becomes available, whether they are at the gate or not.
I can't speak to what was in the SJD agents' minds at the time they made these decisions. All that is clear is that the OP seems to think he was entitled to check in and secure his and his companion's places on the upgrade list after the deadline to do so (60 minutes prior to the flight at the airport).

The agents may have decided, hey, we won't strand this guy here and make him get on the next flight, but we're not going to give him another favor and honor they way the upgrade list would have been ordered had he actually checked in on time.

Remember, by policy, he had no right to be on the flight at all. Did the OP mistakenly think the check-in cutoff was 45 minutes? I'm not sure this question has been answered yet.

In any case, 5k miles, plus getting to fly in MCE on his originally scheduled flight, seems like a pretty good outcome for the OP here. Somehow, I think he'll arrive a bit earlier for his next flight.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
At that point, they are on the list and the list should be followed at the time a seat becomes available, whether they are at the gate or not.
I almost missed this last line in your quote -- the second seat not being given to the OP didn't have anything to do with whether they were at the gate on time. I assume it had to do with the airport staff thinking, hey we did this guy a favor just by getting him on the flight, so we're not going to now separate this other couple (#3 and #4 ) who would actually have been rightly #1 and #2 on the list had the OP and his companion properly been denied check-in. The first upgrade was likely processed before the OP and his companion were even checked in. I've seen INTL stations like SJD clear gate upgrades as early as T-60.

The OP was otherwise describing a second, separate incident where he felt he had been wronged by not being at the gate when upgrades were cleared, and I agreed with him in that scenario and even noted it had happened to me before also.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I can't speak to what was in the SJD agents' minds at the time they made these decisions. All that is clear is that the OP seems to think he was entitled to check in and secure his and his companion's places on the upgrade list after the deadline to do so (60 minutes prior to the flight at the airport).

The agents may have decided, hey, we won't strand this guy here and make him get on the next flight, but we're not going to give him another favor and honor they way the upgrade list would have been ordered had he actually checked in on time.

Remember, by policy, he had no right to be on the flight at all. Did the OP mistakenly think the check-in cutoff was 45 minutes? I'm not sure this question has been answered yet.

In any case, 5k miles, plus getting to fly in MCE on his originally scheduled flight, seems like a pretty good outcome for the OP here. Somehow, I think he'll arrive a bit earlier for his next flight.
It is not up to them to decide. If he is on the list, they are supposed to process him, not decide on their own who to upgrade
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:46 pm

It is not up to them to decide. If he is on the list, they are supposed to process him, not decide on their own who to upgrade
He said they checked with the supervisor who had been involved in the initial check-in interaction. There don't seem to have been "rogue employees" otherwise.

Listen, this whole scenario seems a bit awkward, and I'm not really trying to take sides, other than to say, the OP was late, and it seems just getting on the flight (in MCE seats, which I suspect were his originally chosen seats in his originally paid class of service, and then later also getting 5k miles) should seem like a success here.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 6:23 am

I almost missed this last line in your quote -- the second seat not being given to the OP didn't have anything to do with whether they were at the gate on time. I assume it had to do with the airport staff thinking, hey we did this guy a favor just by getting him on the flight, so we're not going to now separate this other couple (#3 and #4 ) who would actually have been rightly #1 and #2 on the list had the OP and his companion properly been denied check-in. The first upgrade was likely processed before the OP and his companion were even checked in. I've seen INTL stations like SJD clear gate upgrades as early as T-60.

The OP was otherwise describing a second, separate incident where he felt he had been wronged by not being at the gate when upgrades were cleared, and I agreed with him in that scenario and even noted it had happened to me before also.
To be honest the main part of my OP was to bring up the second seat being given away. That was the really annoying part.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
Also, the fact that it appears you ended up with only 2 in your row and so your wife and you got MCE and an empty middle seat. (Person upgraded in 8d you in 8e and 8f)

<edited by moderator>
metallo likes this.

Last edited by JY1024; Dec 24, 2019 at 9:45 pm Reason: Personal, non-contributive commentary removed by moderator
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL GM USAIR GP
Upgrade Tomfoolery

Ok, I admit this upgrade tragedy is only support by circumstantial evidence but i think I have a pretty good case that my upgrade was in fact stolen.

I had booked the day before about T-30 the last nonstop out of DFW for Thursday night Feb 27 Flight 1774 leaving at 8:53 pm. I had a good chance as an EXP with 32K spend. I get upgraded at DFW but not as often as my other airports. My travel is typical booked next day for anywhere domestic with absolutely no schedule- so I have varied experiences with getting upgraded. DFW is one of the few airports that if i'm not upgraded before check-in I'm number 2 or 3 on the list.

Now I usually line up 5 to 10 minutes before boarding. Just a comfort thing being a little early at the gate. So being a 737-800 I'm thinking I might have a last minute upgrade as I was number 2 but that was not to be as it went to number 1 on the list just a few minutes before boarding. This is where it gets interesting. The lady goes up to get her new ticket and come back and stands right next to me and she is visibly excited to have received the upgrade. OK I like getting an upgrade but this happens often enough as a EXP is not as great thrill as it once was. She takes her ticket and takes a picture with her phone and sends out a social media message in big letters UPGRADE. Really this is a seasoned traveler- I think not. She than proceeded to text out her upgrade news and this is the really interesting part she sends an email thanking someone apparently with an aa.com email address- so no this is not your typical AAdvantage upgrade scenario. I suspect more than tomfoolery I suspect that employee's within AA are given out upgrades outside the AAdvantage rules.
It would have been nice to have my upgrade but I did get a nice coach seat with an empty middle seat so almost first class. It would also be nice if I could trust AA to have a fairly implemented program.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
that's what you get for snooping! WFBF.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I love a 'stolen' upgrade post.

They say more about the poster (nicely dropping in their status and 32k spend) along with all the assumptions about the other passengers "Really this is a seasoned traveler- I think not".

Perhaps she was a seasoned traveller and rarely gets an upgrade because of the routes she flies are status heavy? Maybe is was some social media thing she was doing with her friends - post your upgrade boarding passes! -

And you aren't even sure it's even an AA email address.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Maybe she also usually originates from DFW and does not get upgraded that often and even as number 1 on the list she often fails to get upgraded? Even a seasoned traveler can be happy about an upgrade that she may not have expected. I do not see this as being shenanigans or tomfoolery.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Or she went up and upfared.

It could be something perfectly innocent or shenanigans. If you're concerned, write to AA and ask. Speculating won't do any good.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

or had a business class ticket amd om that sector had to be booked in economy due to availability - there are plenty of reasons why this person may have received the upgrade

The person was number 1 on the list , so likely there was a reason for it
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
You said that she was ahead of you on the upgrade list, so it sounds legitimate. Shenanigans is when somebody below you on the list or not on the list at all gets upgraded and you do not. If she or somebody else had put in for an upgrade using mileage or an SWU, she was legitimately ahead of you. The person she thanked may have either advised her to spend cash/miles on an upgrade or maybe even gifted her an SWU. The fact that she was inexperienced certainly does not preclude her from trumping all complimentary upgrade hopefuls (except maybe CK if I recall correctly) with an instrument .
Uzzar likes this.

Last edited by coolcoil; Mar 2, 2020 at 6:42 am
Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL GM USAIR GP
OK she was number one and very happy to be upgraded. no tomfoolery Thank you for the information as I could not think of a reason like an SWU that would have generated a thank you note.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.