Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lost upgrade / upgraded seat shenanigans? [master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost upgrade / upgraded seat shenanigans? [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by shimps1
Sitting on AA3417 right now, and a uniformed FA that was sitting next to me in 11C just got moved up to first.... Meanwhile, upgrade list shows 3 uncleared upgrades. A little frustrating to watch it happen.
I'd propose saying something, but in today's climate, you may get booted for being disruptive.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:51 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Sitting on AA3417 right now, and a uniformed FA that was sitting next to me in 11C just got moved up to first.... Meanwhile, upgrade list shows 3 uncleared upgrades. A little frustrating to watch it happen.
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
I'd propose saying something, but in today's climate, you may get booted for being disruptive.
I believe non revs can show on the upgrade list as well. It's possible no shenanigans occurred.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by CMK10
I believe non revs can show on the upgrade list as well. It's possible no shenanigans occurred.
Certainly possible that no shenanigans occurred. I'd be interested to know if the poster was on the upgrade list and didn't clear... if that's the case, I think the possibility of shenanigans would be higher.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EP
Calling shenanigans with upgrades is so last year.

Hope OP realizes that a uniformed crew member can have status — many do — and use it when commuting.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by aktchi
I agree that there have been strange ug experiences. I was recently on an LGA-ORD flight. I was #1 on the ug list with a few seats open in the map. In the lounge, the AAngels told me I was #1 and there was just one open seat, so I'll probably get it at the gate. At the gate, I was #1 in the display monitor list. Various groups boarded. After Group 3, the GA turned to upgrades, called out somebody's name and gave him the lone FC seat. My name was still #1 in the list at the display monitor. When I pointed this out to to GA, she basically reacted as if that list was of no consequence.

I don't know all the details, so not saying she did anything wrong, but the whole process does not exactly inspire confidence.
There are legitimate ways you could have been superseded, but we'll never know if this was one of those instances or some form of shenanigan.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:51 pm

Was not on the upgrade list, so unfortunately can't confirm any of the above. Should have been more informed rather than jumping to conclusions.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by wetrat0
Let me push this further-- why does a GA need to manually process upgrades at all? Can't a computer algorithm decide that boarding is in 5 minutes and so it's going to release the last seat to whoever is #1 on the list and push the new BP to the person's phone?

So the whole battlefield upgrade thing with paging passengers to make sure they are present is an example of a needlessly complicated process that turns something that should be a nice benefit into a hassle.
I agree that the fact this has manifested from their poor execution of upgrade management is frustrating. It doesn't have to be like this and is only like this because AA doesn't seem to care enough to do anything about it.

I've only ever used AA and so have no idea what the process is like on DL, but read their page on it and it would be impossible to come away from it thinking it's not a more well thought out system than AA sh*tshow. Seriously, the way they have it spelled out and how you choose to be automatically assigned makes it seem like they really care about the logistics of the process:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-upgrades.html
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA, EP. SPG, Plat75.
upgrade rescinded last minute

Hey all,

Got a 509 mile upgrade using 2x500 certificates, SBP-PHX. I was upgraded about 45 min prior to departure and given a new boarding pass, seat 1F. As Group 1 boards, the gate agent says " I have a new boarding pass for you, Group 3, seat in the back".

I am PP, and they gave my seat to an EP that bought a coach ticket last minute.

This is a first for me. I thought once you are cleared, that becomes your seat. I sent AA a letter and will talk to the SBP station manager.

Anyone know the rules on this?

Thanks
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Scott Schachter
Hey all,

Got a 509 mile upgrade using 2x500 certificates, SBP-PHX. I was upgraded about 45 min prior to departure and given a new boarding pass, seat 1F. As Group 1 boards, the gate agent says " I have a new boarding pass for you, Group 3, seat in the back".

I am PP, and they gave my seat to an EP that bought a coach ticket last minute.

This is a first for me. I thought once you are cleared, that becomes your seat. I sent AA a letter and will talk to the SBP station manager.

Anyone know the rules on this?

Thanks
You bought the upgrade with 500 milers. They shouldn’t have been able to sell it to someone else.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:31 pm

I should clarify, I am turning PP now, was at 88 segments prior to that flight, so Platinum, requiring redemption of certificates.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Eh, I don't think it really becomes your seat until you sit in it (and even then...).
Gate Agent probably jumped the gun and shouldn't have cleared your upgrade until T-30m at the check-in cutoff. If s/he had waited, you never would have cleared to begin with.
Your only real complaint is if you got a worse seat than you had before the upgrade. Probably would have been easiest to fight about it at the gate and "demand" your original seat. Of course with GAs today you never know what would happen if you tried to "stand your ground". I suppose you could/should complain about this and maybe you'll get some miles as an inconvenience, but I'd probably let the downgrade go.
(That said, I think UA has a policy to give fairly generous comp for anyone who is ever downgraded. I guess you could point them to that policy if you can find it in writing and ask for the same or threaten to leave for UA! )
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Scott Schachter
they gave my seat to an EP that bought a coach ticket last minute.
Are you sure of this or making an assumption? How did you know the elite level and type of ticket purchased by the other passenger?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
How do you know that’s what happened. Maybe that had a ticket but didn’t check in at T-45.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
This really isn't a clear-cut case. You were obviously on the FC standby list. And were most likely manually upgraded by the agent. However, 45 minutes is still within the check-in window for a flight out of SBP.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:19 pm

PHX cust service looked into what happened with the purchase/upgrade. That's how I know. And I did lose a good seat in the mixup. Just now, got a 7500 mile credit. So it goes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.