Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same day Standby Procedure for Domestic [BA Avios] Award Flight?

Old Oct 18, 13, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT

Hi FTers,

(I know there's a master thread about same day standby, but I went through last several pages and could not find a 100% certain answer. Mod, please merge this to the master thread after this being solved. Thanks in advance!)

I would like to redeem a BA Avios ticket on ORD-BOS for tomorrow, departing at noon. However, I would not be able to get to the airport before 6pm, and would like to do a same day standby as Platinum. Currently the ideal flight departing at 7pm shows Y>7, but no saver availability.
Just curious:
1. May I do standby when traveling on domestic award ticket?
2. How should I do that, given I am traveling on a later flight? Should I cancel the one I booked, or just no show?

Thanks!
Old Oct 18, 13, 1:25 am

Yes, as an AA Platinum member you may standby for a different flight on the same day free of charge. The process is the same, whether on a paid ticket or on a redemption ticket.

Do not simply no show. If you do that, your ticket will be cancelled when you miss your flight. What you should do is call the AA Reservations desk, and let them know that you intend on standing by for a later flight. What they will do is cancel your original flight and list you for the one you want. When you get to the airport, you will go to a check in agent at the counter, and you will receive a Priority Verification card. You will use that to get through security. Then report to the gate or the Admirals Club, if you have access. The AC agent or GA can keep you updated.

Again, this process is the same whether you are on an award ticket or a ticket paid with cash. Keep in mind that there is the possibility of not clearing the flight, and all subsequent flights (well, there is only one more, that gets you into BOS at midnight). In that case, you will be stranded at ORD until you can clear.
Old Oct 18, 13, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky View Post
Yes, as an AA Platinum member you may standby for a different flight on the same day free of charge. The process is the same, whether on a paid ticket or on a redemption ticket.

Do not simply no show. If you do that, your ticket will be cancelled when you miss your flight. What you should do is call the AA Reservations desk, and let them know that you intend on standing by for a later flight. What they will do is cancel your original flight and list you for the one you want. When you get to the airport, you will go to a check in agent at the counter, and you will receive a Priority Verification card. You will use that to get through security. Then report to the gate or the Admirals Club, if you have access. The AC agent or GA can keep you updated.

Again, this process is the same whether you are on an award ticket or a ticket paid with cash. Keep in mind that there is the possibility of not clearing the flight, and all subsequent flights (well, there is only one more, that gets you into BOS at midnight). In that case, you will be stranded at ORD until you can clear.
Awesome Thanks for your crystal clear explanation!
Old Oct 18, 13, 1:37 am
Original Poster

A follow-up question: Suppose unfortunately, for my ideal flight tomorrow, all seats in economy are taken but there are several first class seats remain empty. In this case, will I be op-up to F or be bumped?

(Currently EF shows F7 A6 P5 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 W7 V7 G7 N7 S7 Q5 O4, hope I can make it)
Old Oct 18, 13, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by keepssmile View Post
A follow-up question: Suppose unfortunately, for my ideal flight tomorrow, all seats in economy are taken but there are several first class seats remain empty. In this case, will I be op-up to F or be bumped?
If there are first class seats empty (and by empty, I mean all upgraders have been accommodated and the gate is prepared to close with empty F seats), you can ask the GA to clear you directly into F using 2 stickers. Any reasonable GA should do this. Keep in mind that I am basing this off of my own, limited experience, where I am 1/1 standing by onto a flight that was full in Y but had empty seats in F.

I fly the ORD-BOS route quite often, and often leaving on Friday evening, returning BOS-ORD on Sunday. and I can tell you the chances of there being empty F seats on the 7pm departure is basically 0. Empty Y seats is a toss-up. Sometimes there are several empty Y seats, sometimes the plane goes out completely full (though this is more often the case).

I'm not sure about the late flight. I only have experience with the even later flight that AA used to run, the one that landed in Boston past 1am. That one was a piece of cake to clear upgrades on as a PLT, and was usually not too full in the back. Good luck!

Edit: Doing my own EF search, I now realize that you are talking about the flight on Saturday 10/19, rather than Fri 10/18 (you know, it's 1:50am Central Time, and I'm not really sure where you are, so for some reason I just assumed "tomorrow" was Friday). That one looks a lot better than the one on Friday, although AA is not running a later flight that day, so you only have one shot. Most premium seats are still open (regular seats mostly full), so at least you'll most likely get an MCE seat if you clear. I still doubt that there will be F seats empty though.
Old Oct 18, 13, 1:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Explorist

(Currently EF shows F7 A6 P5 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 W7 V7 G7 N7 S7 Q5 O4, hope I can make it)
There will most likely be people in Y upgraded and space might open up for you in Y (especially on ORD-BOS). You will practically never get an op-up from the standby list. They will either op-up someone already confirmed in Y or let F go out with some empty seats.
Old Oct 18, 13, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Edit: Doing my own EF search, I now realize that you are talking about the flight on Saturday 10/19, rather than Fri 10/18 (you know, it's 1:50am Central Time, and I'm not really sure where you are, so for some reason I just assumed "tomorrow" was Friday). That one looks a lot better than the one on Friday, although AA is not running a later flight that day, so you only have one shot. Most premium seats are still open (regular seats mostly full), so at least you'll most likely get an MCE seat if you clear. I still doubt that there will be F seats empty though.
Again, thanks for the great insight & apologize for not being clear. From the seat map, the back cabin is full and the front cabin is wide open, finger crossed > <
Old Oct 18, 13, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFOPhD View Post
There will most likely be people in Y upgraded and space might open up for you in Y (especially on ORD-BOS). You will practically never get an op-up from the standby list. They will either op-up someone already confirmed in Y or let F go out with some empty seats.
Thanks. I tried a dummy booking (and hold it), and I got an email saying my upgrade request has been cleared. Hmm.. interesting.
Old Oct 18, 13, 2:07 am

Thanks. I tried a dummy booking (and hold it), and I got an email saying my upgrade request has been cleared. Hmm.. interesting.
Can you clarify? Do you mean that you made a reservation for ORD-BOS (not award) for a seat on the flight you want, and put it on hold?

If that's the case, you likely had to book full fare Y/B, in which case you would likely be above all PLTs and GLDs on the upgrading list, thereby getting you the upgrade (free of charge, as well, since you were on a Y/B fare)

Upgrade requests can clear on held bookings. However, SFOPhD is still correct in saying it is extremely unlikely that a GA will op up someone on standby just to clear him onto the flight. Upgrading a standby with stickers (or no stickers, if EXP) when F seats are going to go out empty makes a lot more sense.
Old Oct 18, 13, 2:09 am
Original Poster

BTW: AA Twitter team says that for award travel, it is not necessary to cancel the seat in advance, but you can cancel if you'd like before hand. Not sure whether this rule applies to Avios booking, but it is applicable for regular AA awards.
Old Oct 18, 13, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Can you clarify? Do you mean that you made a reservation for ORD-BOS (not award) for a seat on the flight you want, and put it on hold?
Yes, sorry for the poor grammar. Haven't slept for a day...

Upgrade requests can clear on held bookings. However, SFOPhD is still correct in saying it is extremely unlikely that a GA will op up someone on standby just to clear him onto the flight. Upgrading a standby with stickers (or no stickers, if EXP) when F seats are going to go out empty makes a lot more sense.
This solves my puzzle Probably it's unlikely to use stickers to upgrade an award ticket, but whatever.. getting a seat is more important
Old Oct 18, 13, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Just called three different agents, and they all say they cannot touch award ticket issued by BA and therefore they cannot offer me same day standby. This made me nervous...
What's the best strategy then?
Old Oct 18, 13, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Just called three different agents, and they all say they cannot touch award ticket issued by BA and therefore they cannot offer me same day standby. This made me nervous...
What's the best strategy then?
Were you asking agents about standby (rules, loads) or asking them to process a paid Same-Day flight change request?

http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/sameDayTravel.jsp

Do not confuse same-day flight change and standby.
Old Oct 18, 13, 7:54 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT

If that's the case, you likely had to book full fare Y/B, in which case you would likely be above all PLTs and GLDs on the upgrading list, thereby getting you the upgrade (free of charge, as well, since you were on a Y/B fare)
It doesn't matter if the booking was a discount fare a full fare. The upgrade will clear if within the upgrade window and there is X inventory. Since the upgrade cleared, no one else is on the upgrade list within the upgrade window - for example if this occurred between 24-72 hours, there are no other EXP or PLT currently on the upgrade list; if within 24 hours, no one including EXP/PLT/GLD are currently on the upgrade list. I suspect the OP did this booking between 24-72 hours, and GLD has not yet cleared.

But I agree, on an award ticket, the OP has no shot of getting a seat in F.

My advice - check in at 24 hours for the original flight for placement on the standby list.
Old Oct 18, 13, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Were you asking agents about standby (rules, loads) or asking them to process a paid Same-Day flight change request?

http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/sameDayTravel.jsp

Do not confuse same-day flight change and standby.
I tried both with several agents and the twitter team, they said neither option is possible as they can't touch the ticket at all. They suggest me go to to the airport and talk to BA counter staff directly.

But BA people told me that once the original noon flight departed, I will have gone as a no-show and the Avios will be forfeited.

Any advice? Really feel frustrated now...

Search this Thread