Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same day Standby Procedure for Domestic [BA Avios] Award Flight?

Same day Standby Procedure for Domestic [BA Avios] Award Flight?

Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Adelphos
This couldn't have been the case today as it was a Saturday with mostly leisure travel. Flights weren't full, so E inventory must have been available
IME standby option would be greyed out on aa.com if SDFC is available. It's been like that for years.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:23 am

Hi - hoping someone can help:
I need to fly from JFK to CLE on 3/4/18. There is a MileSaver Flight from LGA to CLE on that date at a later time.
What's my best way of booking? Book on AA or BA using miles? I'd prefer BA since I can cancel whenever, but what is going to be easier/cheaper to try to standby.
OR is standby not going to be possible as flight I can book is from LGA and I want to fly from JFK? Thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:56 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
AFAIK, still No standby on co-terminals is the official rule, although you might get lucky and an agent will allow it. That's on an AA award. If award space is open they might let you change it for free. BA will almost certainly make you cancel/rebook.

if you book LGA I'd plan on having to fly it. Google "co-terminals" in the long thread on aa awards.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
AFAIK, still No standby on co-terminals is the official rule, although you might get lucky and an agent will allow it. That's on an AA award. If award space is open they might let you change it for free. BA will almost certainly make you cancel/rebook.

if you book LGA I'd plan on having to fly it. Google "co-terminals" in the long thread on aa awards.
thank you very much
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:50 pm
Original Member

Don't expect the ability to standby from different airport.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Mia-nyc co term question

Looking to go MIA-EWR on an AVIOS Award ticket in J.

I see only one available flight (MIA-NYC) on a MIA-LGA flight (the first of the day 5:40am).

Can I standby for a later flight (the same day of course) to EWR/JFK or just a later flight to LGA?

I have AA Platinum Status...

*Also if I was to say book the 5:40am and a later flight became available could I switch the reward without losing the taxes and points (I know you get the points back but it takes a couple days so I would have to add more points if I canceled and rebooked)

Or would I have to cancel and rebook? (and lose the taxes)
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by theboss7593

I see only one available flight (MIA-NYC) on a MIA-LGA flight (the first of the day 5:40am).

Can I standby for a later flight (the same day of course) to EWR/JFK or just a later flight to LGA?

*Also if I was to say book the 5:40am and a later flight became available could I switch the reward without losing the taxes and points (I know you get the points back but it takes a couple days so I would have to add more points if I canceled and rebooked)

I don't know the answer to the question but I will tell you this. Your AA Plat status helps but the fact that this will be a BA ticket instead of AA, won't help. AA won't touch the BA ticket even if they do consider the airports as co-terminals. If this was an AA ticket and based on your status, I'd risk it, not on an Avios redemption.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:07 am
Original Member

AA generally does not allow standby to/from co-terminals even on revenue tickets. Avios bookings must be changed/cancelled 24 hours prior to departure or points will be forfeited.

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
I don't know the answer to the question but I will tell you this. Your AA Plat status helps but the fact that this will be a BA ticket instead of AA, won't help. AA won't touch the BA ticket even if they do consider the airports as co-terminals. If this was an AA ticket and based on your status, I'd risk it, not on an Avios redemption.
First hand experience - standby is allowed on BA ticket. Just not SDFC.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:27 am
Suspended

Can I standby for a later flight (the same day of course) to EWR/JFK or just a later flight to LGA? this is 1 thing I never do, SBY for a flight after the one I booked has departed, simply since if you dont clear you will now have to buy a new tkt. I only SBY when Im trying to get onto an earlier flight the the one booked simply since if I dont clear I still end up on my tkted flight

This past Mon I had a LAX-SFO-JFK Saver, I asked as a Plat if I could SBY for a LAX-JFK non-stop and was told if its available for Anytime then Id have to fork over the extra 27.5 . wanted to test it @ LAX but arrived late due to some last min errands. Of cause it was available SFO/LAS/SAN-LAX-JFK but not for starting out from LAX in saver
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by seawolf
AA generally does not allow standby to/from co-terminals even on revenue tickets. Avios bookings must be changed/cancelled 24 hours prior to departure or points will be forfeited.

First hand experience - standby is allowed on BA ticket. Just not SDFC.
Thanks yeah, I saw on the sticky there was a HUCA and some other stuff but no definitive yes and it looks like it's technically against the rules...

I'm aware of the 24 hours thing, do you know If I was to change/ not cancel say a 5:30am and rebook something same day would they be able to do that without having to add more points or would I just have to cancel and forfeit the $10 and add points. I mean it's really not a big deal and I'm probably wasting more time here than $$ but I guess it's just a principal thing.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:34 am
Original Member

Thanks yeah, I saw on the sticky there was a HUCA and some other stuff but no definitive yes and it looks like it's technically against the rules...

I'm aware of the 24 hours thing, do you know If I was to change/ not cancel say a 5:30am and rebook something same day would they be able to do that without having to add more points or would I just have to cancel and forfeit the $10 and add points. I mean it's really not a big deal and I'm probably wasting more time here than $$ but I guess it's just a principal thing.
Not sure what you mean by HUACA. AFAIK, AA don't add passengers to standby list over the phone. It's either done online or at the airport.

As mentioned in previous post, BA does not allow any changes/cancel less than 24 hours prior to departure of the ticketed flight (see 16.4). If you have an Avios booking for MIA-LGA, you can only standby for MIA-LGA. If ticketed MIA-JFK, standby MIA-JFK. But if you see MIA-EWR award available 24 hours prior to your ticketed flight, you can call BA to change the award to MIA-EWR.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:32 am

Not sure what you mean by HUACA. AFAIK, AA don't add passengers to standby list over the phone. It's either done online or at the airport.

As mentioned in previous post, BA does not allow any changes/cancel less than 24 hours prior to departure of the ticketed flight (see 16.4). If you have an Avios booking for MIA-LGA, you can only standby for MIA-LGA. If ticketed MIA-JFK, standby MIA-JFK. But if you see MIA-EWR award available 24 hours prior to your ticketed flight, you can call BA to change the award to MIA-EWR.
Yeah it was just on a general AA ticket sticky (to do SDFC not Standby) not an AVIOS ticket, I'm sorry I misspoke there.

And if I call BA to change the award prior to 24 hours is there any fee to do that.?
I.E. I book MIA-LGA now but an award MIA-EWR comes available before the T-24 cutoff.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:39 pm
Original Member

Yeah it was just on a general AA ticket sticky (to do SDFC not Standby) not an AVIOS ticket, I'm sorry I misspoke there.

And if I call BA to change the award prior to 24 hours is there any fee to do that.?
I.E. I book MIA-LGA now but an award MIA-EWR comes available before the T-24 cutoff.
BA charges fee for any type of award charge absent any applicable, if any, BA elite waivers.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:46 pm

BA charges fee for any type of award charge absent any applicable, if any, BA elite waivers.
Gotcha I would just cancel 24 hours prior and take the $10 hit, rebook with the new flight rather than pay the $55 change fee.

Thanks so much for your help I appreciate it.

I am now booked via AVIOS on AA in Business Class (MIA-LGA) and plan on doing same day standby for a later flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.