Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same day Standby Procedure for Domestic [BA Avios] Award Flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same day Standby Procedure for Domestic [BA Avios] Award Flight?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Change is not free when booked on Avios and BA will not even change within 24 hours of departure.

AA will let you standby for a fee (or free if meeting certain eligiblity)
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:54 pm

• Needed to be in Chicago urgently on 10/21.
  • No MileSAAver on 10/21.
  • Booked DFW-ORD on 10/20 with Avios in the morning (which I don't think I can make )
  • EF shows E inventory(usually should have helped out with the same day flight change, but i'm guessing this being a 125xxxx ticket means no dice )
  • Called up EXP line for confirmed SDC, the same advice of "BA Issued ticket, we cannot make a change"
  • Although, it did give me an option to do a standby online to a later flight. Did that. Lets see how this goes.

Edit: Checked in at the desk in the evening, who provided with a Verification Pass (this lets you get through security)
Was high up in the standby list and was issued a boarding pass at the gate. All in all, it works as expected.

Last edited by senyah; Nov 1, 2016 at 12:15 pm
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:31 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by senyah
  • Booked DFW-ORD on 10/20 with Avios in the morning (which I don't think I can make )
  • EF shows E inventory(usually should have helped out with the same day flight change, but i'm guessing this being a 125xxxx ticket means no dice )
  • Called up EXP line for confirmed SDC, the same advice of "BA Issued ticket, we cannot make a change"
  • Although, it did give me an option to do a standby online to a later flight. Did that. Lets see how this goes.
You can standby on Avios issued award. Be aware that aa.com only show standby for flights with E availability whereas at the airport you can standby on all eligible flights regardless of E availability.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
AA using AVIOS LGA-MCI

Hi all,

Looking to go nonstop LGA-MCI on Thursday the 8th aboard the 9:40am AA 4594 departure and book via AVIOS rewards. No availability but there is AA anytime awards booking available thru AA.

I can book aboard AA4703 (9:22pm Departure) the only other non stop LGA-MCI departure on both Wednesday the 7th and Thursday the 8th with AVIOS.

What is the best advice to doing this? No show the 7th 9:22pm or try to standby the 8th?

I have one world ruby status (so i can standby complimentary).
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
bump, anyone???
Old Dec 5, 2016, 5:10 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
You cant stand by for a different day.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by arollins
You cant stand by for a different day.
It looks like they keep adding the 9:40 flight to the redemption list. Tuesday and Wednesday the 9:40 wasn't there and now it is. I may hold out until tomorrow and wait to book it that way otherwise I'll book the 21:22 flight and try and standby, there are still 7 available both days so I'm not too concerned about space ATM.

Any more feedback would be great!
Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:04 pm

9:40 became available via AVIOS today so my situation has been resolved.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by senyah

Edit: Checked in at the desk in the evening, who provided with a Verification Pass (this lets you get through security)
Was high up in the standby list and was issued a boarding pass at the gate. All in all, it works as expected.
This has been my experience as well. If BA has issued your ticket, AA won't offer SDFC. Very frustrating as nowhere in the SDFC does it mention that your ticket must be issued by AA; it only says that it must be operated and marketed by AA.

"Same-day flight change is only available on flights operated and marketed by American Airlines or American Eagle."
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I'm flying to DCA today from LGA on an Avios ticket. I booked the noon flight, I now want to take the 2 PM. I called into the reservation desk, they said that because it is a "British Airways ticket' that they couldn't touch it and I needed to call BA. They also said that i could only standby at the airport. However, I was able to standby for the later flight online at AA.com. I have a picture of the confirmation I got from AA, I'll see what happens at the airport
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:47 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I'm flying to DCA today from LGA on an Avios ticket. I booked the noon flight, I now want to take the 2 PM. I called into the reservation desk, they said that because it is a "British Airways ticket' that they couldn't touch it and I needed to call BA. They also said that i could only standby at the airport. However, I was able to standby for the later flight online at AA.com. I have a picture of the confirmation I got from AA, I'll see what happens at the airport
Definitely no issues with standby. Done it countless times using Avios ticket.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by seawolf
you just cant do it over the phone, has to be at the airport.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by bbmatt
you just cant do it over the phone, has to be at the airport.
Sitting at the gate now, and waiting to board. I was #1 on the standby list

I don't understand why agents can't do it over the phone when customers can do it online. AA.com offers "stand by" online for earlier and later flights. I did that (no issue as I always book Avios tickets using my AAdvantage number), showed up to the airport and the agent gave me my priority verification pass.

IMO free standby for earlier and later flights is one of the better things about the AA program - for a lot of my routes, you can book the cheapest flight of the day and basically stand by for any flight before or after with a good chance of success. I just wish AA better understood it's own policies when explaining the option to customers
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:29 pm
Original Member

IME AA never offered standby by phone and online only works if no same day flights have E inventory.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:06 pm

IME AA never offered standby by phone and online only works if no same day flights have E inventory.
This couldn't have been the case today as it was a Saturday with mostly leisure travel. Flights weren't full, so E inventory must have been available

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.