Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Route and General Discussion new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Routes

ATTENTION! Before you post...
This thread is for the general discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes.

Discussion about upgrades on the DFW-HKG flights are here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion
Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

"In summer 2014, we plan to introduce new nonstop service between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Hong Kong (HKG), a first for any U.S. carrier. Plus, enjoy a world-class travel experience to Hong Kong on our brand new Boeing 777-300ER aircraft. Check back soon for booking details."

First DFW-HKG flight on June 11, 2014. First HKG-DFW flight on June 13, 2014.

Schedule will be as under, subject to approvals (source airlineroute.net):
● AA137 Departing Dallas 12:45PM arriving Hong Kong 6:05PM (+1 day) [duration 16:20]
● AA138 Departing Hong Kong 1:30PM arriving Dallas 4:30PM [duration 16:00]
● 8,111 AAdvantage miles in each direction

"We plan to introduce new service between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Shanghai (PVG), with flights beginning [on 11 June 2014]. We're excited to be the first U.S. carrier to offer this convenient nonstop route, which will complement existing service between our Chicago (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX) hubs and Shanghai. Booking details available soon." Date as per 17 Oct 2013 filing with USDOT.

Schedule will be:
● Departing Dallas 10:55AM arriving Shanghai 2:55PM (+1 day) [duration 15:00]
● Departing Shanghai 4:50PM arriving Dallas 6:10PM [duration 14:20]
● 7,351 AAdvantage miles in each direction

In addition to these new routes, we currently offer you even more convenient nonstop flights to top destinations in Asia, including flights between:

Tokyo Narita (NRT) and Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Chicago (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX)
Tokyo Haneda (HND) and New York Kennedy (JFK) (to be dropped Nov 29)
Beijing (PEK) and Chicago (ORD)
Seoul (ICN) and Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
Shanghai (PVG) and Chicago (ORD) Los Angeles (LAX) (not mentioned from AA announcement)
Print Wikipost

DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
This is really good news.

I can finally go DFW HKG CGK! ^
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
I figured we'd see DFW-HKG soon but I didn't expect DFW-PVG to come on anytime soon. Glad to see some AA growth in Asia.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
MIA is far. According to GCM, MIA-HKG is 8990 miles, or 7812 nautical miles. Boeing lists the maximum range of the 777-300ER as 7825 nautical miles. Not doable without a refueling stop, I don't think.

Besides, I don't see AA starting Asia service out of MIA. It looks like they are focused on growing DFW at the moment. Expansion to Asia out of JFK would be welcome (to me, at least), but that doesn't look like it's happening either. A 787 might be able to fly the route, but I don't see them doing it. MIA is also poorly positioned for domestic feeder flights, so it would have to depend mainly on O&D traffic as well as connecting traffic from S. America, but DFW captures a lot of that traffic too.

If the DFW-HKG route proves very popular, I see the ORD-HKG route more likely, on which CX only has one daily flight. Possibly LAX, but there are already three daily CX flights from there. JFK is already quite saturated by CX, and JFK-HKG must also rely mostly on O&D traffic.
Why try jumping into a (more) crowded pool with xxx-HKG instead of adding another frequency into DFW-HKG when they're the only player?

It looks like this one is being timed to connect to the South America flights, if it does become a popular route, why not add another flight that is timed more for US connections on the departure and Asian connections on the arrival (i.e. leave night - arrive morning)?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
Extremely excited for these 2 routes even if they require an overnight in either MIA or DFW for us to make connection. Hoping for F award avail and C SWU avail, DFW-HKG might become holy grail of new MRs as it combines distance of China without visa costs. Will definitely be on at least 1 and hopefully more next year.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
This is great news!! American 3 class to HKG. This is the best plane out of US carriers. United out of SFO and ORD have 3 class as well. This will place Delta as the only US airline without an F option to HKG. Delta seems to be the least premium airline to HKG after American starts! Great work American!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
This is great news!! American 3 class to HKG. This is the best plane out of US carriers. United out of SFO and ORD have 3 class as well. This will place Delta as the only US airline without an F option to HKG. Delta seems to be the least premium airline to HKG after American starts! Great work American!
And if any actual paid F passengers use either AA or UA F or J voluntarily over CX, they to have their head examined. I don't think anyone is thinking of DL as the "least premium airline to HK."
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:50 pm

There goes any hope of MIA-Asia anytime soon.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by alpen1
Extremely excited for these 2 routes even if they require an overnight in either MIA or DFW for us to make connection. Hoping for F award avail and C SWU avail, DFW-HKG might become holy grail of new MRs as it combines distance of China without visa costs. Will definitely be on at least 1 and hopefully more next year.
I highly doubt you'll see much C space in advance.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sts603
And if any actual paid F passengers use either AA or UA F or J voluntarily over CX, they to have their head examined. I don't think anyone is thinking of DL as the "least premium airline to HK."
I agree that CX F is much better than AA F, but now the hard product are essentially equal I'm not sure that's the case with CX J vs. AA J. Food wise, I'd give the edge to AA. CX J catering is nothing to write home about. In regards to liquid nutrition, CX has a bit of an edge there. Service wise, it's a draw in my opinion. CX J has been hit or miss IME, as has AA J. Personally, I'd take a good AA crew over an average CX crew.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
If DFW-NRT, DFW-ICN allows a lot of eVIPs to clear, I am not sure DFW-HKG becomes the toughest route to upgrade. A huge amount of traffic comes directly from NYC area(4x ex-JFK, soon 1x ex-EWR), so taking me to DFW is definitely fine especially you can almost have almost 9500 EQM for one-way.
Don't forget the rocket scientists coming up from AUS to connect in DFW.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Given the number of times I have flown a connecting flight to NRT to ride in one of the DFW flights, I can only say - it is about time.

On a more practical level however, AA and CX must somehow resolve the issue of H class CX fares in regional SE Asia (and Australia) as the lowest class that will credit to the AA FF program. As well, AA code shares on CX flights will have to increase. Perhaps even with CX HKG to PER (to the aggravation of QF)

I suppose one alternative would be to have a CX code on DFW-HKG (and a guaranteed MCE seat) connecting with CX Y+ product which covers Australia and is being expanded into SEAsia. And all the Y+ fares will credit to AA.

Here's hoping that I continue my wandering

Fred
Old Oct 16, 2013, 8:37 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Great for the DFW folks, but I'll stick with my (soon to be) 4x day flights that CX provides LAX-HKG
Old Oct 16, 2013, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Worried about this - with this launch I'm already planning on trying to do a cash&miles upgrade on this flight at some point. Kinda scurred with all you super-duper elites out there...
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Based on what? (I'm not disagreeing, I'd just like to know why you think this will be the case)
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Advanatge
Originally Posted by linglingfool
This. If a flight is longer than 12 hours, there's no way to use the same plane on a turn on the same day. From comments upthread, it sounds like ex-DFW times are aligned with South American arrivals; I'm assuming the return is aligned with inbound CX connections ex-HKG.

(Or it was just the slot they were given.)
What on earth are you talking about? Planes can fly for 24 hours straight if they could hold enough fuel then do a turn. Example, AA289 (ORD-PVG), lands 3:05pm or something like that.....and you think it sits there till the next day. WRONG, it goes out on AA288 to ORD or AA182 to LAX later that same day. Crew need rest, planes just need enough time to be refueled and reloaded.

Cheers,
AA777

Last edited by AA777; Oct 16, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.