Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Route and General Discussion new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Routes

ATTENTION! Before you post...
This thread is for the general discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes.

Discussion about upgrades on the DFW-HKG flights are here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion
Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

"In summer 2014, we plan to introduce new nonstop service between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Hong Kong (HKG), a first for any U.S. carrier. Plus, enjoy a world-class travel experience to Hong Kong on our brand new Boeing 777-300ER aircraft. Check back soon for booking details."

First DFW-HKG flight on June 11, 2014. First HKG-DFW flight on June 13, 2014.

Schedule will be as under, subject to approvals (source airlineroute.net):
● AA137 Departing Dallas 12:45PM arriving Hong Kong 6:05PM (+1 day) [duration 16:20]
● AA138 Departing Hong Kong 1:30PM arriving Dallas 4:30PM [duration 16:00]
● 8,111 AAdvantage miles in each direction

"We plan to introduce new service between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Shanghai (PVG), with flights beginning [on 11 June 2014]. We're excited to be the first U.S. carrier to offer this convenient nonstop route, which will complement existing service between our Chicago (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX) hubs and Shanghai. Booking details available soon." Date as per 17 Oct 2013 filing with USDOT.

Schedule will be:
● Departing Dallas 10:55AM arriving Shanghai 2:55PM (+1 day) [duration 15:00]
● Departing Shanghai 4:50PM arriving Dallas 6:10PM [duration 14:20]
● 7,351 AAdvantage miles in each direction

In addition to these new routes, we currently offer you even more convenient nonstop flights to top destinations in Asia, including flights between:

Tokyo Narita (NRT) and Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Chicago (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX)
Tokyo Haneda (HND) and New York Kennedy (JFK) (to be dropped Nov 29)
Beijing (PEK) and Chicago (ORD)
Seoul (ICN) and Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
Shanghai (PVG) and Chicago (ORD) Los Angeles (LAX) (not mentioned from AA announcement)
Print Wikipost

DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by CDKing
yep PEK still the 777-200. was able to get exit on the outbound but the only seats taken on the return are exit. I'm hoping to find a Evip swap so i can attempt to get in J. I have only flown intl Y once and that was in UA E+ with empty set of 3 so i dont know how well this is going to go.
Another possibility would be to purchase the upgrade with cash when you check-in at PEK. IIRC, it goes for $750 Y>J.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by nall
Do I see there that some 777s could potentially do HKG-MIA?
No, it was out of range. It was more than 9,000nm. Due to the weight restrictions. I don't think they have enough range.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by nall
Do I see there that some 777s could potentially do HKG-MIA?
MIA is far. According to GCM, MIA-HKG is 8990 miles, or 7812 nautical miles. Boeing lists the maximum range of the 777-300ER as 7825 nautical miles. Not doable without a refueling stop, I don't think.

Besides, I don't see AA starting Asia service out of MIA. It looks like they are focused on growing DFW at the moment. Expansion to Asia out of JFK would be welcome (to me, at least), but that doesn't look like it's happening either. A 787 might be able to fly the route, but I don't see them doing it. MIA is also poorly positioned for domestic feeder flights, so it would have to depend mainly on O&D traffic as well as connecting traffic from S. America, but DFW captures a lot of that traffic too.

If the DFW-HKG route proves very popular, I see the ORD-HKG route more likely, on which CX only has one daily flight. Possibly LAX, but there are already three daily CX flights from there. JFK is already quite saturated by CX, and JFK-HKG must also rely mostly on O&D traffic.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
MIA is far. According to GCM, MIA-HKG is 8990 miles, or 7812 nautical miles. Boeing lists the maximum range of the 777-300ER as 7825 nautical miles. Not doable without a refueling stop, I don't think.

Besides, I don't see AA starting Asia service out of MIA. It looks like they are focused on growing DFW at the moment. Expansion to Asia out of JFK would be welcome (to me, at least), but that doesn't look like it's happening either. A 787 might be able to fly the route, but I don't see them doing it. MIA is also poorly positioned for domestic feeder flights, so it would have to depend mainly on O&D traffic as well as connecting traffic from S. America, but DFW captures a lot of that traffic too.

If the DFW-HKG route proves very popular, I see the ORD-HKG route more likely, on which CX only has one daily flight. Possibly LAX, but there are already three daily CX flights from there. JFK is already quite saturated by CX, and JFK-HKG must also rely mostly on O&D traffic.
Unfortunately I think JFK-based Asia expansion will be slow due to (1) high cost of ultra-long haul flights, (2) existing UA competition on PEK, PVG, NRT, and HKG, (3) competition from superior Asian carriers, and (4) limited feed compared to UA at EWR. Furthermore, AA has been somewhat slow to put its money where its mouth is in terms of making NYC a real cornerstone. Its already hindered by having the cornerstone split between two heavily-restricted airports. But still, they just don't seem that aggressive about making a real NYC-push.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I take it this is good news as well regarding my One World Explorer options for next summer too

Just got to get the jump on it when seats are released

I was able to do this for DFW-SYD on QF so why not DFW HKG

awesome news anyway
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deltaflyer08
Couldn't the 789 fly both routes since AA will be receiving the 788 and the 789 next year.
AA is scheduled to get its first 787-8 in late 2014 but its first 787-9 will likely be sometime in 2016 or 2017. The reason AA modified its contract with Boeing so that it could substitute up to 20 787-8s is the extreme delay in the 787-9, which was the only model that AA ordered back in 2008.

Originally Posted by Xero
AA could attempt a 5th freedom route to SIN. But the market is crowded with 6 carriers involved, including CX, SQ and even UA and a 3 LCCs. The distance is about 1500 miles similar to SFO-DFW.
Sure, AA could try that, but since JAL already has SIN covered in a joint venture with AA, it would make no sense for AA to fly its own metal to SIN. As I've posted before, AA won't be duplicating JAL's Tokyo hubs anymore than AA will duplicate BA's hub from LHR.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by CDKing
yep PEK still the 777-200. was able to get exit on the outbound but the only seats taken on the return are exit. I'm hoping to find a Evip swap so i can attempt to get in J. I have only flown intl Y once and that was in UA E+ with empty set of 3 so i dont know how well this is going to go.
Worth watching the exits (or using expertflyer or tripit pro to watch for you if you have either) as 31ABHJ are the next best thing if you can't get into J.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Sure, AA could try that, but since JAL already has SIN covered in a joint venture with AA, it would make no sense for AA to fly its own metal to SIN. As I've posted before, AA won't be duplicating JAL's Tokyo hubs anymore than AA will duplicate BA's hub from LHR.
You're probably right.

OTOH, it's gotten harder rather than easier to get codeshare seats past Tokyo, and mile-earning on JL-ticketed seats has not liberalized any (plus the weird "teaser fares" that than show up no seats available are still there on AA.com and ITA more often than not.)
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
Upgardes will get tougher I think.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
MIA-HKG will have to wait until late decade. Planes like the A350 can do it. Incidenetly, MIA-HKG is a decent local market (larger than DFWHKG) and has really high average fares. MIA will probably be the single largest feeder route onto DFWHKG.

A route between Miami and Tokyo - whether on AA or JAL metal - is going to happen; but with the low density configuration of JAL's 787s, it will likely have to wait for AA's 787s. Using a 77W on the route has been looked at, however.

Relying on O&D isn't much of an issue - Miami-Asia is approaching 500 PDEW, and Florida-Asia (logical connecting points) doubles that number. MCONRT and MIAMNL are larger markets than DFWNRT.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by linglingfool
This. If a flight is longer than 12 hours, there's no way to use the same plane on a turn on the same day.
I don't understand this comment in relation the quote to which you were replying. You're not saying there's some requirement that a plane sit on the ground for a specific period of time after a flight this long, right?

Obviously a single plane can't continually do a 12 hour flight between the same 2 points unless we end up with 26-28 hour days. But surely the plane could have left HKG without spending the night there if AA had the slots (or the desire).

Separately, you can add SAN and SNA to the list of west coast cities that meet the MCT to the DFW-HKG flight. But LAX would be much much easier, absent concerns about upgrades of course.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by SAN-man
I don't understand this comment in relation the quote to which you were replying. You're not saying there's some requirement that a plane sit on the ground for a specific period of time after a flight this long, right?

Obviously a single plane can't continually do a 12 hour flight between the same 2 points unless we end up with 26-28 hour days. But surely the plane could have left HKG without spending the night there if AA had the slots (or the desire.
When I originally read the question, I was skimming and thought the poster wasn't clear on the whole 24 hours in a day thing, but after actually looking at the schedules I can see how it would be a valid question. I can only assume it's slot-related or timed to match up with convenient connections on both ends; leaving later in the evening would put the arrival in DFW later than most connecting flights.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Are the pilots OK with flying these long routes? I remember there being a cap on how long AA pilots can fly a route - this was an issue that derailed AA's DFW-PEK application a few years ago.

Originally Posted by sts603
Unfortunately I think JFK-based Asia expansion will be slow due to (1) high cost of ultra-long haul flights, (2) existing UA competition on PEK, PVG, NRT, and HKG, (3) competition from superior Asian carriers, and (4) limited feed compared to UA at EWR. Furthermore, AA has been somewhat slow to put its money where its mouth is in terms of making NYC a real cornerstone. Its already hindered by having the cornerstone split between two heavily-restricted airports. But still, they just don't seem that aggressive about making a real NYC-push.
Actually, AA has been slowly shrinking at JFK, dropping several international routes. With heavy competition, slot restrictions, and congestion I think it's more likely AA drops NYC from its cornerstones.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Xero

India is a 3rd option for 5th freedom. There is less competition and for O&D, but will the yields be high enough? And which Indian city should it be? CCU would have been great because of it's location in eastern India where local partner 9W could feed domestically to other parts of the country, but too bad the state government of West Bengal caused the city to decline from India's economic powerhouse to nothing.
Now this would be something - perhaps BOM? CX/KA cover India fairly well though and easily fill their flights with connectors from China/Australia/NZ. Unfortunately I don't see AA re-entering India with it's own metal anytime soon - they are probably more than happy to shuttle India-bound pax to BA/QR//CX, etc. Haha and wow - CCU - even less of a chance. Has work even started on a new terminal there? At least DEL is somewhat upgraded and the new BOM is under construction. I'm sure you know about the nightmare that is connecting in India.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:06 pm

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
CONGRATULATION AA!!!

Finally AA fly to HKG! This is amazing news for AA and DFW.
Finally the missing piece of the OW Transpacific network is complete: AA to HKG and connecting DFW and HKG OW hubs!

OW have absolute domination on HKG-USA Market now:

AA 1x daily DFW
CX 4x daily LAX
CX 3x daily JFK
CX 1x daily EWR
CX 2x daily SFO
CX 10x weekly ORD

versus
DL daily to SEA
UA daily to ORD
UA daily to EWR
UA daily to SFO
SQ daily to SFO

Last edited by CX828; Oct 16, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.