Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Route and General Discussion new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Routes

ATTENTION! Before you post...
This thread is for the general discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes.

Discussion about upgrades on the DFW-HKG flights are here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion
Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

"In summer 2014, we plan to introduce new nonstop service between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Hong Kong (HKG), a first for any U.S. carrier. Plus, enjoy a world-class travel experience to Hong Kong on our brand new Boeing 777-300ER aircraft. Check back soon for booking details."

First DFW-HKG flight on June 11, 2014. First HKG-DFW flight on June 13, 2014.

Schedule will be as under, subject to approvals (source airlineroute.net):
● AA137 Departing Dallas 12:45PM arriving Hong Kong 6:05PM (+1 day) [duration 16:20]
● AA138 Departing Hong Kong 1:30PM arriving Dallas 4:30PM [duration 16:00]
● 8,111 AAdvantage miles in each direction

"We plan to introduce new service between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Shanghai (PVG), with flights beginning [on 11 June 2014]. We're excited to be the first U.S. carrier to offer this convenient nonstop route, which will complement existing service between our Chicago (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX) hubs and Shanghai. Booking details available soon." Date as per 17 Oct 2013 filing with USDOT.

Schedule will be:
● Departing Dallas 10:55AM arriving Shanghai 2:55PM (+1 day) [duration 15:00]
● Departing Shanghai 4:50PM arriving Dallas 6:10PM [duration 14:20]
● 7,351 AAdvantage miles in each direction

In addition to these new routes, we currently offer you even more convenient nonstop flights to top destinations in Asia, including flights between:

Tokyo Narita (NRT) and Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Chicago (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX)
Tokyo Haneda (HND) and New York Kennedy (JFK) (to be dropped Nov 29)
Beijing (PEK) and Chicago (ORD)
Seoul (ICN) and Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
Shanghai (PVG) and Chicago (ORD) Los Angeles (LAX) (not mentioned from AA announcement)
Print Wikipost

DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Just had to change my HKG trip. Originally going in two weeks- now I'm leaving tonight/tomorrow. Lost 3J as a consequence

Currently in the very back of the J cabin. Are they using FEBO on these flights? Any opinions if its better to be on the left or right aisle?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Currently in the very back of the J cabin. Are they using FEBO on these flights? Any opinions if its better to be on the left or right aisle?
They are using the new, modified version of FEBO; see this thread:

FEBO Dead 1-sep-2014 New System Based Flight Direction Time Zone Change

Practical result should be the same on these flights: back to front on 137; front to back on 138. Of course, you can mitigate this by pre-ordering.

My usual preference is for a window seat on the J side. However, on this route I believe they typically put the Cantonese speaker(s) on the left aisle. These tend to be relatively junior FAs, who may tend to have slightly higher levels of enthusiasm. YMMV.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Ready2Go

Practical result should be the same on these flights: back to front on 137; front to back on 138. Of course, you can mitigate this by pre-ordering.

My usual preference is for a window seat on the J side. However, on this route I believe they typically put the Cantonese speaker(s) on the left aisle. These tend to be relatively junior FAs, who may tend to have slightly higher levels of enthusiasm. YMMV.
Thanks! Forgot about the changes to FEBO - bummer for other flights I take.

I pre-ordered for the return, but no chance of doing it for the outbound as I changed the flight less than 24 hours to dep. Surprised to see the meal choices for tomorrow's flight are different from what I was seeing for next week.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, National Exec., SPG Gold, AmEx Plat
Last Sunday's 138 was slightly late in departing due to a seating issue I thought would be worth reporting. After boarding had been completed, the gate agent downgraded the gentleman sitting in 13G back to Y - the rationale being that a crew rest seat was needed. An FA used the seat intermittently during the flight.

I was under the impression that because the 77W offers a dedicated crew rest area, no rest seat is needed in the cabin. Is it normal practice for an FA to use a J seat on this flight? Perhaps there was a problem with one of the bunks?

Apologies if this is better posted elsewhere.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by LondonIce
Last Sunday's 138 was slightly late in departing due to a seating issue I thought would be worth reporting. After boarding had been completed, the gate agent downgraded the gentleman sitting in 13G back to Y - the rationale being that a crew rest seat was needed. An FA used the seat intermittently during the flight.

I was under the impression that because the 77W offers a dedicated crew rest area, no rest seat is needed in the cabin. Is it normal practice for an FA to use a J seat on this flight? Perhaps there was a problem with one of the bunks?

Apologies if this is better posted elsewhere.
I saw that, too. The FA then put up a curtain with the words crew rest on it and kept the curtain shut the whole time.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:07 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
How many crew does AA use on the 77W? You'd think they would have enough crew rest space overhead. CX seems to do just fine with the 77W without using revenue seats for crew rest.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:13 pm

Programs: Aadvantage ExPlt, SPG Platinum 100, Alaska 75K
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
I saw that, too. The FA then put up a curtain with the words crew rest on it and kept the curtain shut the whole time.
Did they have a chance to refuse and get off the plane? I would have raised holy hell if they did that to me at the last minute.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by lovenola
Did they have a chance to refuse and get off the plane? I would have raised holy hell if they did that to me at the last minute.
The passenger didn't raise hell. They just moved on. Why doesn't the GA coordinate with the FA? Do the gate agents just hand out the seats and the FAs take it back? If the GA didn't hand it out, there would not be any contention. This was on leaving HKG.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Originally Posted by Ready2Go

So the small MCE cabin at the front of Y would be last to order for 137 and first for 138?

Or in Y do we even get a meal choice?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:26 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Perhaps the person that was moved back to Y was staff travel? You never know. That's probably the reason why they didn't make a big fuss about it.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
So the small MCE cabin at the front of Y would be last to order for 137 and first for 138?

Or in Y do we even get a meal choice?
FEBO is solely for premium cabin meal preferences (first or business). In economy, the FA just asks which you want as they remove the foil.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
how have the Y-J upgrades been looking for weekday departures both ways? It seems tough on 137 and easier on 138, although lately the past couple weeks I'm hearing massive waitlists..
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by frudd38
how have the Y-J upgrades been looking for weekday departures both ways? It seems tough on 137 and easier on 138, although lately the past couple weeks I'm hearing massive waitlists..
I booked back in January and my DFW-HKG cleared at booking. Waitlisted on the return and cleared a couple of days ago for a flight 10 days out.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Originally Posted by FWAAA
FEBO is solely for premium cabin meal preferences (first or business). In economy, the FA just asks which you want as they remove the foil.
It seems in Y they usually start from the front no matter which direction, so those of us in the MCE mini cabin who don't clear should still get first choice.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA LTPlat, Marriott LTTitanium, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
I have flown over 200 paid First Class routes over the past few years and after reading this thread, I wasn't expecting much on AA138 today. I was on a paid ticket, albeit a P fare. I will have to admit, this was probably the best first class experience I've had. Complaints about the lack of storage had no effect on me as I only carry a computer backpack and a soft go-bag. The hard product might not be as wide as Cathay, but I think it is well thought out and the most functional system I've seen. I was surprised with the IFE system. It's TOTALLY functional, unlike the previous versions. It's the easiest system to select a program that I have seen and you don't have to be exposed to the interminable ads that Cathay is famous for. Good movie selection too. Everyone likes to complain about the flight attendants on AA and I was kind of dreading the flight because of this. But this crew was simply the outstanding, definitely on par with Singapore. The experienced American woman was as professional and sweet as they come and the two Cantonese speakers were two of the best I've seen on hundreds of AA flights. I couldn't ask for better service. I have never had a memorable meal on AA, but that changed today. Lately I've been eating a lot of Iberico ham, but the Parma ham served today was much better tasting. The pumpkin soup was perfect and the beef filet was amazingly tender with outstanding flavor. I love coffee and I probably had 15 cups on this flight. It was mild as I like it and absolutely no bitterness. The Champagne was nothing special and neither was the wine, but I still had two bottles of pinot noir during the 15 hour flight. To recap, the IFE system is the best I've seen, the food was very good, the hard product was functional and well thought out, I was shocked at how good the FA's were, and the internet was fine for emails and internet browsing. The plastic salt and pepper shakers are kind of a bizarre oversight, no caviar service and the wine and Champagne can best be described as "better than Chinese domestic airlines". There is nothing that stands out such as fine caviar, Singapore uniforms, or vintage Champagnes; however, the overall experience is the best of the 200+ first class international flights I've taken. As a side note, while chatting with one of the FA's, I asked about paid versus award flights in first class. He said this route is averaging about a 50:50 ratio with a surprising number of paid full F fare seats at up to 21,000+. I was on a P fare at under $4000 round trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.