Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Route and General Discussion new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Routes

ATTENTION! Before you post...
This thread is for the general discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes.

Discussion about upgrades on the DFW-HKG flights are here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion
Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

"In summer 2014, we plan to introduce new nonstop service between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Hong Kong (HKG), a first for any U.S. carrier. Plus, enjoy a world-class travel experience to Hong Kong on our brand new Boeing 777-300ER aircraft. Check back soon for booking details."

First DFW-HKG flight on June 11, 2014. First HKG-DFW flight on June 13, 2014.

Schedule will be as under, subject to approvals (source airlineroute.net):
● AA137 Departing Dallas 12:45PM arriving Hong Kong 6:05PM (+1 day) [duration 16:20]
● AA138 Departing Hong Kong 1:30PM arriving Dallas 4:30PM [duration 16:00]
● 8,111 AAdvantage miles in each direction

"We plan to introduce new service between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Shanghai (PVG), with flights beginning [on 11 June 2014]. We're excited to be the first U.S. carrier to offer this convenient nonstop route, which will complement existing service between our Chicago (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX) hubs and Shanghai. Booking details available soon." Date as per 17 Oct 2013 filing with USDOT.

Schedule will be:
● Departing Dallas 10:55AM arriving Shanghai 2:55PM (+1 day) [duration 15:00]
● Departing Shanghai 4:50PM arriving Dallas 6:10PM [duration 14:20]
● 7,351 AAdvantage miles in each direction

In addition to these new routes, we currently offer you even more convenient nonstop flights to top destinations in Asia, including flights between:

Tokyo Narita (NRT) and Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Chicago (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX)
Tokyo Haneda (HND) and New York Kennedy (JFK) (to be dropped Nov 29)
Beijing (PEK) and Chicago (ORD)
Seoul (ICN) and Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
Shanghai (PVG) and Chicago (ORD) Los Angeles (LAX) (not mentioned from AA announcement)
Print Wikipost

DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This is good news. Now as to 777-223ER vs 777-323ER, not so much. DFW-HKG is 8,123 miles / 6,387 nm, range is sufficient, albeit not generous, with full passenger load and sufficient fuel capacity.

And the 772 will be getting the whatever-we-call-them new Business seats (and divested of F) during 2014. The 787, well, we can hope the adage "Good things come to those who wait" is accurate, because we have been patient indeed.

Singapore from DFW will just have to wait for another aircraft, given AA has no LRs on request.

787-8
Seating: 210 to 250 passengers
Range: 7,650 to 8,200 nautical miles (14,200 to 15,200 kilometers)

787-9:
Seating: 250 to 290 passengers
Range: 8,000 to 8,500 nautical miles (14,800 to 15,750 kilometers)

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 16, 2013 at 1:50 pm
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Neither of which fly real longhaul out of BKK or TPE (we're talking TPE-NRT or BKK-DEL, ~3 hour flights), so they aren't comparable to DL or AA (who are legitimately multi-hubbed).
BKK-SIN as well, but both that and BKK-DEL are just continuations of flights out of HKG.

DragonAir does have a BKK-PVG flight; not clear if that flight continues to/from HKG.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
I think CX runs Y+ deals from JFK-MNL from time to time.
MNL is a very competitive market, so I'm not surprised. The lowest I've seen is about $1700 for Y+, and at a time when the regular Y fares to MNL were under $1000.

Originally Posted by CDKing
The timing looks good. Nice that i can now get Alaska EQM to HKG. MCE is good. i'm not sure how i'm going to survive my Beijing flight in regular Y.
PEK is still 772, right? Are there no exit rows or bulkheads available? 772 exit row is better than regular 773 MCE seats (at least unless IFE is a big part of the picture for you.)
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Woo hoo re the new flights, especially Dallas-Hong Kong on the 777W. As an SF-based flyer I wish the flight was from LA, but this still opens up doors for flying AA and its partners more often to Asia and within Asia

Originally Posted by nkedel
D'oh... too early out of DFW to get there from the West Coast same day, and too late into HKG to have daytime connections into SE Asia. Still will beat connecting via NRT with very late arrivals.

I suppose it was unlikely that AA would have followed the pattern of many of the Asian airlines of a night departure, morning arrival.

CX has that route; I don't recall any AA flights into HKG during the 12 years I've been flying TPAC on AA.
Originally Posted by brp
Not true.

AA 1118 SJC-DFW arrives at 11:55AM
AA 2278 SFO-DFW arrives at 11:35AM

Both within the MCT for DFW for D->I, AFAIK.

Cheers.
Plus you can take a red-eye SFO-DFW if for some reason these options don't work or you want to be extra-sure of making the TPAC flight.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by keepssmile
Probably because DFW-NRT is AA's only money making route into Asia...
There are now 6 daily ORD-NRT trips. AA is 1x daily, UA 2x daily, JL 1x daily, and NH 2x daily. Lots and lots and lots of seats ORD-NRT.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:54 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Thunderroad

Plus you can take a red-eye SFO-DFW if for some reason these options don't work or you want to be extra-sure of making the TPAC flight.
I thought about that as well, but it gets one in too early, IMO. More like 6 hours before. Definite margin, though

We have several trips scheduled on the SFO-DFW redeye so that we can get to the east coast and still have the bulk of that day left. Works well for weekend trips. But here we have like 1 hour connections.

Cheers.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by brp
Not true.

AA 1118 SJC-DFW arrives at 11:55AM
AA 2278 SFO-DFW arrives at 11:35AM

Both within the MCT for DFW for D->I, AFAIK.
There are also a couple of early morning LAX frequencies that would make the cut, though I think the current timing of the first SEA-DFW gets in just a bit too late. In the past this flight also arrived at 11:50 or 11:55, and would also work. 6 AM departures aren't the best, but if it's that or coach on CX I'll wake up early.

EDIT: LAX already mentioned, sorry.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
There are now 6 daily ORD-NRT trips. AA is 1x daily, UA 2x daily, JL 1x daily, and NH 2x daily. Lots and lots and lots of seats ORD-NRT.
If I have more time and I am so obsessed with the Kobachi or Japanese meals, I will definitely go to JL, AA, NH, or UA to NRT, but heading back is most important especially one of my friends is asking me to get back for her wedding or any dinner meetings. 6p.m. arrival is a perfect time. Anything else (EWR/ORD/NRT/SFO/LAX-HKG) is too late(8p.m.-10:50p.m. for the night) unless you don't mind taking the CX red-eye, which I always try to avoid.

Just for all of you, this will be the longest ULH to HKG in AA history, and among all the US legacy carriers. Can be a signature flight for AA if they can keep it for a long period of time. Just checked, unfortunately it still doesn't break the top 5 even after SQ EWR/LAX-SIN discontinued the non-stop service. Monsters like QF and EK dominated four of the top 5 UHLs. DL has one.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Oct 16, 2013 at 2:18 pm
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by N830MH
What is flight schedule for DFW-HKG & DFW-PVG? Does anybody know about the flight scheduled.
Posted upthread and in the Wikipost.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by EZEMD11
Start the hallelujah chorus! Throw the confetti! Crack open the bubbly! DFW is growing to Asia ^

One question about the odd times to Hong Kong. Why does the plane sit on the ground for so long? I've got three guesses.

1. Plane will sit on the ground for the whole night.
2. Schedule is a place holder and the flight will depart Hong Kong at around 9-10 pm.
3. (My wish) maybe there will be another AA flight to Hong Kong to maximize efficiency. Maybe from the US, or maybe...inter-Asia? Who knows, maybe the mayor let the cat out of the bag with Shanglapore (Singapore)
AA could attempt a 5th freedom route to SIN. But the market is crowded with 6 carriers involved, including CX, SQ and even UA and a 3 LCCs. The distance is about 1500 miles similar to SFO-DFW.

BKK is another option, but then AA finds itself competing with 11 airlines, including CX, RJ and EK. So it likely might be cheaper just to keep the plane on the ground than flying it.

India is a 3rd option for 5th freedom. There is less competition and for O&D, but will the yields be high enough? And which Indian city should it be? CCU would have been great because of it's location in eastern India where local partner 9W could feed domestically to other parts of the country, but too bad the state government of West Bengal caused the city to decline from India's economic powerhouse to nothing.

Finally there is KUL. MH can provide connections beyond.

I have a feeling AA will not do 5th freedom and will likely add another flight from the USA eventually to maximize efficiency if the flight makes money (which I have a feeling it will).

Many FT'ers have been wanting flights to HKG on AA metal. Now the remaining one is TLV.

Last edited by Xero; Oct 16, 2013 at 2:21 pm
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I've done the 12:15 redeye to get to the earlier NRT flight, and the late redeye to make it to the ORD-NRT flight (35 minutes from the arrival first morning flight SF-ORD to 154 ORD-NRT is technically a legal connection, but gives me the creeps especially at delay-prone ORD.)
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Actually keep in mind that AA is planning on doing heavy MX on the 777s in HKG, so my guess is that they will also do A/B (regular line checks) in HKG as well.

Originally Posted by Xero
AA could attempt a 5th freedom route to SIN. But the market is crowded with 6 carriers involved, including CX, SQ and even UA and a 3 LCCs. The distance is about 1500 miles similar to SFO-DFW.

BKK is another option, but then AA finds itself competing with 11 airlines, including CX, RJ and EK. So it likely might be cheaper just to keep the plane on the ground than flying it.

India is a 3rd option for 5th freedom. There is less competition and for O&D, but will the yields be high enough? And which Indian city should it be? CCU would have been great because of it's location in eastern India where local partner 9W could feed domestically to other parts of the country, but too bad the state government of West Bengal caused the city to decline from India's economic powerhouse to nothing.

Finally there is KUL. MH can provide connections beyond.

I have a feeling AA will not do 5th freedom and will likely add another flight from the USA eventually to maximize efficiency if the flight makes money (which I have a feeling it will).

Many FT'ers have been wanting flights to HKG on AA metal. Now the remaining one is TLV.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:59 pm

Do I see there that some 777s could potentially do HKG-MIA?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by nkedel
PEK is still 772, right? Are there no exit rows or bulkheads available? 772 exit row is better than regular 773 MCE seats (at least unless IFE is a big part of the picture for you.)
yep PEK still the 777-200. was able to get exit on the outbound but the only seats taken on the return are exit. I'm hoping to find a Evip swap so i can attempt to get in J. I have only flown intl Y once and that was in UA E+ with empty set of 3 so i dont know how well this is going to go.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Spiff
Yeah, baby, yeah!
Yeah, calm down, Spiff. You don't have to yell.

Originally Posted by deltaflyer08
Couldn't the 789 fly both routes since AA will be receiving the 788 and the 789 next year.
Yes, they will received the first 787-9 Dreamliner sometime in 2014.

Originally Posted by Microwave
Posted upthread and in the Wikipost.
Thanks! I can see that now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.