FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1511217-help-desk-milesaaver-saaver-award-questions-assistance.html)

bebegirl Jan 3, 2020 3:35 pm

Naples to San Diego award ticket

Trying to book award travel on AA in business class on May 28th and looking for a good routing... any suggestions will be appreciated.
Trying to avoid BA taxes

JJeffrey Jan 3, 2020 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by bebegirl (Post 31905753)
Trying to book award travel on AA in business class on May 28th and looking for a good routing... any suggestions will be appreciated.
Trying to avoid BA taxes

1) Business class award space not on BA between Europe and the US is tough to find in peak season unless you book really far out (10-11 months) or really close in (within a month to a few days).

2) AA doesn't fly to Naples, Italy, so searching from NAP will automatically limit your options to connecting through LHR or MAD. Search all other AA gateways (MXP, FCO, ZRH, FRA, etc.), if you find something buy a separate ticket from NAP to there.

3) Take a read through the dedicated threads below...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ssistance.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-avoiding.html

AA100k Jan 3, 2020 3:56 pm

Fly direct to Rome and take the train from the airport to Naples, about two hours, with a transfer at Termini Station.

Counsellor Jan 3, 2020 6:09 pm

Huge devaluation overnight?

Yesterday I was searching for award flights to Europe and back for the coming summer, and found many listed at around 23K to 30K miles each way in economy, and business class seats at 57.5K each way.

This morning I planned to redeem the flights I had chosen, and when I pulled up the site I was shocked to find all Business Class seats priced at 135K each way and even economy seats at 50K or more each way, some economy at over 100K for the seat one-way. All in all, it looks as though prices rose 100% to 135%! I thought my computer may have glitched, but tried another one and got the same result.

Is this a glitch of some sort, or did American actually devalue AAdvantage miles by more than 50% overnight? Suddenly Skypesos look valuable by comparison. I know American went to "dynamic pricing" but this seems ridiculous!

What am I missing?

dunno282 Jan 3, 2020 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Counsellor (Post 31906245)
Yesterday I was searching for award flights to Europe and back for the coming summer, and found many listed at around 23K to 30K miles each way in economy, and business class seats at 57.5K each way.

This morning I planned to redeem the flights I had chosen, and when I pulled up the site I was shocked to find all Business Class seats priced at 135K each way and even economy seats at 50K or more each way, some economy at over 100K for the seat one-way. All in all, it looks as though prices rose 100% to 135%! I thought my computer may have glitched, but tried another one and got the same result.

Is this a glitch of some sort, or did American actually devalue AAdvantage miles by more than 50% overnight? Suddenly Skypesos look valuable by comparison. I know American went to "dynamic pricing" but this seems ridiculous!

What am I missing?

like any good deal. jump on it quick before it's sold out. my assumption would be that they allocated a certain number of tickets at that redemption rate and they were all redeemed. Pretty sure they do that with their regular airfares too.

CPRich Jan 3, 2020 6:45 pm

Is this a glitch of some sort, or did American actually devalue AAdvantage miles by more than 50% overnight? [

Only in the same way that they "devalued" the American Dollar by raising price on my ticket last week.

What am I missing?

Changes happen.

Mwenenzi Jan 3, 2020 6:49 pm

Guessing others grabbed the MileAASaver awards and all that is left is AAnytime
Why did you not book them when you saw them?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ward-chart.jsp
USA To EU Economy
MileSAAver Off Peak 22,500
MileSAAver 30,000
Anytime Level 1 47,500
AAnytime Level 2 65,000

USA To EU Business
MileSAAver 57,500
Anytime Level 1 110,000
AAnytime Level 2 135,000

satman40 Jan 3, 2020 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by dunno282 (Post 31906295)
like any good deal. jump on it quick before it's sold out. my assumption would be that they allocated a certain number of tickets at that redemption rate and they were all redeemed. Pretty sure they do that with their regular airfares too.

Keep and eye on the flights, prices do change, both ways,

jtav559 Jan 3, 2020 7:21 pm

Not unheard of.

Just experienced it for West Coast - VCE. Booked at 135k one way for business AAnytime. Looked again this week out of curiosity- now at 300k one way AAnytime. More than double! For shoulder season to boot, not even true “summer peak”.

That’s said....... Saw some decent milesaver availability in economy for the same routing. And on AA metal across the pond, so no YQ charges!

Counsellor Jan 3, 2020 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 31906351)
Guessing others grabbed the MileAASaver awards and all that is left is AAnytime
Why did you not book them when you saw them?

There were multiple routings at that price (57.5K) and I needed to coordinate with my colleague in Europe to find out which was preferable. Probably should have grabbed one just to be safe and relied on the 24-hour rule to cancel it if it turned out not to be a workable schedule. However, we're talking nearly six months from now and I didn't expect all of the seats to be taken overnight.

FAA1996 Jan 3, 2020 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Counsellor (Post 31906438)
There were multiple routings at that price (57.5K) and I needed to coordinate with my colleague in Europe to find out which was preferable. Probably should have grabbed one just to be safe and relied on the 24-hour rule to cancel it if it turned out not to be a workable schedule. However, we're talking nearly six months from now and I didn't expect all of the seats to be taken overnight.

You can hold award tickets for 5 days.

Often1 Jan 3, 2020 7:26 pm

Limited number of seats at that price. You aren't the only one who saw them and others grabbed them and now they are gone.

There are thousands of people looking for a deal and there were likely few at that price.

No devaluation here.

Mwenenzi Jan 3, 2020 7:27 pm

Yield management is a complete mystery.
But many people are looking for USA<--->EU business awards. A lot more than seats available
AAsaver may come back

bse118 Jan 3, 2020 7:27 pm

AA allows you to put awards on hold for 5 days.

See something you like: put it on hold now, think later.

TomMM Jan 3, 2020 7:31 pm

One of my rules is that I don't shop for flights unless I am ready to buy.