Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SJWarrior

Actually, going into Germany, Czech, Helsinki, for a day or two and then onto WAW. Would be fine. Any routing but I’m looking for BIZ saver. Anything to avoid the BAsurcharges, would be wonderful. I’ll keep playing on EF. It’s a big learning curve for me, but it’s better than playing out in the cold.

Did a quick search on AA, and found two potential options as of now.

One, on 9/10, LAX to WAW through Helsinki on AY, with an overnight in HEL. The taxes and fees on this are $11.70.

Two, on 9/13, SJU to WAW through Madrid and London on IB/BA (IB on the transatlantic). There is an overnight in London. Because this would originate in the Caribbean, it's an extra 5,000 miles (so 62,500 miles one-way). The upside is that I think there are multiple days in mid-September that this routing might work (I see at least 1 Saver seat on the SJU-MAD flight pretty much on every day the flight operates, which is Su,W,F). The taxes and fees are a little over $100.

You might also check MEX as a potential starting point, but transferring in MEX might be somewhat of a pain.

Finally, all of this is super early, and availability on more convenient routings might open up as we get closer to your desired departure date. But if you're EXP and can lock something in without worrying about change fees, why not.

Edit: You can put one of these on hold and call in to see if you can tack on a positioning flight from wherever you'd like to start. I'm not sure it will work, but doesn't hurt to try. I've successfully routed through Mexico on a US-South America award multiple times, but not sure if US-Europe will allow routing through the Caribbean (i.e., I'm not sure if the Caribbean is considered "North America").

Last edited by flyingeph12; Dec 7, 2018 at 10:49 pm
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
For Reduced Mileage Awards, must it be AA metal? Or, if I see AS metal advertised on AA.com as MileSAAver, would such a flight be eligible?

And, separately, do you still get a 10% AA mileage rebate for Reduced Mileage Awards?

Last edited by EkekoBWI; Dec 9, 2018 at 10:33 pm Reason: Add-on question
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
For Reduce Mileage Awards, must it be AA metal? Or, if I see AS metal advertised on AA.com as MileSAAver, would such a flight be eligible?
Reduced Mileage awards are for American and American Eagle flights only.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Reduced Mileage awards are for American and American Eagle flights only.
Foiled again!
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
And, separately, do you still get a 10% AA mileage rebate for Reduced Mileage Awards?
Yes, you still get a 10% rebate, so long as you haven't hit the maximum for the year.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:20 pm

Hello! Quick question: I'm looking at booking a MileSAAver LIFO award. Day 1: ex-DCA, arrives into ORD at ~11:00pm, and connecting flight departs for LAX at ~6:00am next day (Day 2).
If I standby on an early enough DCA-ORD flight on Day 1 to make a pre-midnight connection ORD-LAX on Day 1, will AA allow this? Or would I have to overnight at ORD no matter what and only be eligible for ORD-LAX flights on calendar Day 2?

Thanks!
surgee
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Surgee
Hello! Quick question: I'm looking at booking a MileSAAver LIFO award. Day 1: ex-DCA, arrives into ORD at ~11:00pm, and connecting flight departs for LAX at ~6:00am next day (Day 2).
If I standby on an early enough DCA-ORD flight on Day 1 to make a pre-midnight connection ORD-LAX on Day 1, will AA allow this? Or would I have to overnight at ORD no matter what and only be eligible for ORD-LAX flights on calendar Day 2?

Thanks!
surgee
My experience in a situation similar to this (where two flight crossed two days) is that you can only standby for flight that correspond to the day of you originally schedule flight. Based on my experience what you want to do will not work.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anybody knows that with the current ongoing political debacle between Qatar and UAE, what options are bookable from either EU or US to DXB?

I saw QR flies DOH to AMM and RJ flies from AMM to DXB. Problem is, AA site does not even show DOH to DXB while it would show both DOH-AMM, AMM-DXB independently.

I have not tried the long haul part but with an intention to stopover at DOH, that is irrelevant.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
QQ,

I have found an award flight i would like to use LHR --> PHL in June, the systems actually showing me LHR --> JFK // LGA --> PHL. But i am happy to ditch the LGA PHL leg and drive / train.....

It's showing 77W - LHR --> PHL, but for 2 people $600 in charges. I thought those just showed up for BA flights, these are both AA flight #'s and metal. I was expecting $30 or so, not $600. Am i wrong in my understanding of this? My outbounds to ZRH were i think $12 taxes each.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
QQ,

I have found an award flight i would like to use LHR --> PHL in June, the systems actually showing me LHR --> JFK // LGA --> PHL. But i am happy to ditch the LGA PHL leg and drive / train.....

It's showing 77W - LHR --> PHL, but for 2 people $600 in charges. I thought those just showed up for BA flights, these are both AA flight #'s and metal. I was expecting $30 or so, not $600. Am i wrong in my understanding of this? My outbounds to ZRH were i think $12 taxes each.
There are 2 (or 3) fees when flying thru LHR. One is the BA imposed fee, but there are also two government fees...the APD (Air Passenger Duty, an excise tax) since you are originating in the UK and the passenger service charge (these apply no matter who you fly). The PSC will always apply going thru UK airports and the APD applies if you originate in the UK or transit for greater than 24 hours on an int'l itinerary. If you were flying BA, the fees would be closer to $1200. I'm not sure, but I think the UK raised these fees recently...ugh.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 24, 2018 at 8:47 am Reason: Correction
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fredc84
There are 2 (or 3) fees when flying thru LHR. One is the BA imposed fee, but there are also two government fees...the APD (Air Passenger Duty, an excise tax) since you are originating in the UK and the passenger service charge (these apply no matter who you fly). The PSC will always apply going thru UK airports and the APD applies if you originate in the UK or transit for greater than 24 hours on an int'l itinerary. If you were flying BA, the fees would be closer to $1200. I'm not sure, but I think the UK raised these fees recently...ugh.
Thanks, that explains it. I guess ill keep digging around, and look at connecting from elsewhere (AMS, TXL, ZRH......)

Thank you. It was the APD that's driving the price so much. I was aware of the BA imposed fee, but this oddly enough is the first time i have looked at originating an award from the UK.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 24, 2018 at 8:49 am Reason: Add edit made to original post
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:42 pm

Does anyone know the freaking married segment rules for itineraries involving OW partners?

I am literally agitated with AA agents saying they can only search A to C even though A to B is on a OW airline & B to C is on AA.

In this case, A to B is on LATAM & B to C is in AA metal.

Agents are seriously driving me nuts with their made up rules.

i can search for & agents can see A to B.

I can search for & agents can see B to C.

but I was told twice today they cant book A to C
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:38 am
Suspended

Question

Originally Posted by coltonatx
Does anyone know the freaking married segment rules for itineraries involving OW partners?

I am literally agitated with AA agents saying they can only search A to C even though A to B is on a OW airline & B to C is on AA.

In this case, A to B is on LATAM & B to C is in AA metal.

Agents are seriously driving me nuts with their made up rules.

but I was told twice today they can’t book A to C
"Agents are seriously driving me nuts with their made up rules." = placing the blame in the wrong place, that's the only way they are supposed to search now, the full journey:

Last edited by JonNYC; Dec 24, 2018 at 7:45 am
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by coltonatx
In this case, A to B is on LATAM & B to C is in AA metal
but I was told twice today they cant book A to C
This seems like an absurd extension of the married-segment logic. I want to put in a media request with AA about this to see if this is how they mean for it to be - or if something needs to be fixed. Can you share (or DM me) the routing?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyerJT
This seems like an absurd extension of the married-segment logic. I want to put in a media request with AA about this to see if this is how they mean for it to be - or if something needs to be fixed. Can you share (or DM me) the routing?
While I agree that as much light as possible should be shed on this atrocious development (and that you'd be a good option for that, the bloggers should be all over this) to be clear, there is ZERO doubt that this is what/how agents have been instructed; that the award availability must show when the origin and destination are entered and that they are not allowed to enter "piece by piece" as the poster is requesting here in an attempt to force availability where it wouldn't exist otherwise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.