Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Old Sep 30, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mipaho
If they search for the leg as an individual segment, they can find it. Interestingly, they can also use it as part of a trip where the 2nd leg is on Alaska Airlines (once again, between my original cities. When they try to swap out the leg for the economy leg in my original reservation, they can only see the option at a higher level (45k level), which isn't even a level that exists on that day. AAnytime awards for both economy and first are higher than 45k on that day, as it's a high travel one.
What if you try calling online customer service instead of the EXP desk? I have actually had much more luck with them when it comes to complicated issues. The other thing I would try is to ask for a supervisor immediately. To me, there shouldnt be an issue with upgrading that segment, since you booked a U award with a voluntary downgrade.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Rowyourboat
Hello,

Can someone help me understand AA award availability vs. ExpertFlyer. I'm seeing a lot of AA J flights bookable US -> LHR at the saver level, while ExpertFlyer and Alaska doesn't show the inventory.

For example, RDU -> LHR or ORD -> LHR on Oct 14th.

When I click through, both are bookable. What is going on here? I've never seen this much TATL J award space on AA metal before.
It's the "new" married segment logic. AA is willing to release U from LGA-LHR, but not RDU-LHR.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:47 am

I currently have a saaver award for MIA-JFK-NRT(JL), I just noticed EYW-MIA opened up and later flight from MIA is available as well. If I add the EYW leg as my new origin, will it incur a fee?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: American Airlines
AA Business Class Saver Award space disappears completely

Last week, I successfully bought two one way tickets in business class on AA from SAN-AMS next August. There had been plenty of availability, although only two seats for a given itinerary on a given day (mostly midweek). The site also showed a lot of availability for a return around that time, although our plan was to return three weeks later. All of a sudden it seems that all saver award business class from Europe to the US has completely disappeared. I'm relatively new to using points/miles but we saved for this purpose. I can understand that they are limited and we need to be flexible but is there an explanation? Is this temporary? Am I missing something? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by HughMann
I currently have a saaver award for MIA-JFK-NRT(JL), I just noticed EYW-MIA opened up and later flight from MIA is available as well. If I add the EYW leg as my new origin, will it incur a fee?
Yes.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
For booking a reduced mileage award (AAdvantage Aviator MC) is mileage based on total miles flown (ergo both segments w/ connection)? For example, BNA-ORD-STL >500 but if calculated by origin and destination only would be <500.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
For booking a reduced mileage award (AAdvantage Aviator MC) is mileage based on total miles flown (ergo both segments w/ connection)? For example, BNA-ORD-STL >500 but if calculated by origin and destination only would be <500.
On AA, the special redemption rate for flights under 500 miles only applies to nonstop flights. So if your award travel to a reduced-mileage-award destination requires a connection, you will pay 8,750 miles for the one-way, not 6,500 miles.
​​​​​​
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
I am looking to book 4 seats in Business class AA Anytime award and see 9 seats available for DFW-OGG. When I call AA, they confirm 9 seats left but zero are available to book for miles. I thought if we pay extra miles, we have access to any seat? Is anytime award still capacity controlled by airline. Anyone know if they will eventually release seats. I think my best bet is to book earlier time and change date if it comes open? Thanks
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cdoobiest
I am looking to book 4 seats in Business class AA Anytime award and see 9 seats available for DFW-OGG. When I call AA, they confirm 9 seats left but zero are available to book for miles. I thought if we pay extra miles, we have access to any seat? Is anytime award still capacity controlled by airline. Anyone know if they will eventually release seats. I think my best bet is to book earlier time and change date if it comes open? Thanks
​​​​​​What availability do you see at aa.com?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by guv1976
On AA, the special redemption rate for flights under 500 miles only applies to nonstop flights. So if your award travel to a reduced-mileage-award destination requires a connection, you will pay 8,750 miles for the one-way, not 6,500 miles.
​​​​​​
Okay, thanks. That's helpful. 12500 - 3750 = 8750!
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by guv1976
​​​​​​What availability do you see at aa.com?
I see 9 seats when I pull up seat chart but it won't let me book online. Plus when I call AA, they can see the seats but state they are not available to book for award travel. I thought if you pay extra miles, you should be able to get seat if available?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see 9 seats when I pull up seat chart but it won't let me book online. Plus when I call AA, they can see the seats but state they are not available to book for award travel. I thought if you pay extra miles, you should be able to get seat if available?
The seating chart is merely an indication of what seats have and have not been assigned. It is not an indication of seats available for sale -- whether for cash or for miles.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Read the Wiki and also get a subscription to Expert Flyer.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
First, you should make clear to the agent that you are looking to book an AAnytime award. If you just say award, they likely will assume you need a MilesAAver award.

Second, there is not really a reason to go through an agent. You can search for AAnytime availability and book online.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: CK or bust
As long as you are referring to AA metal, AAnytime Awards will give you last seat availability.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.