Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by gumercindo
If I'm based in the DC area, what's the best connecting city for me to fly out of in order to get to Spain (doesn't matter if it's BCN or MAD)? Looking at sAAver award in Y or J Would like to avoid LHR/BA, obvi..
Whatever city you can find availability through on your preferred date.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:54 pm

I guess I'll ask it another way. Right now for 10-11 months out, sAAver J class is non-existent except for a connecting one through LHR via BA for 57.5k miles one way. I only have redeemed J via UA and my experience has been that availability fluctuates throughout the year and I've been able to secure multiple J class saver redemptions as little as 7 months out.

Does this happen with AA or is it much rarer to find J sAAver availbility pop up 8-9 months out?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:45 pm

I guess I'll ask it another way. Right now for 10-11 months out, sAAver J class is non-existent except for a connecting one through LHR via BA for 57.5k miles one way. I only have redeemed J via UA and my experience has been that availability fluctuates throughout the year and I've been able to secure multiple J class saver redemptions as little as 7 months out.

Does this happen with AA or is it much rarer to find J sAAver availbility pop up 8-9 months out?
I've found certain partner awards to pop up like this, but only closer to departure for AA awards. Though this is maybe not true of all routes AA flies internationally though. The last redemption I tracked was to Australia for AA metal, Spain for partner.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's no hard and fast rule for AA, but generally speaking, as long as your dates are flexible, there's a very good chance that better options will open up over the next 11 months.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
I didn't check.

Let me emphasize that the deep discounted fares became available only the day before the flight; they did not display when I was checking daily for several days beforehand.
I am starting to see what you describe: DEEP discount fares are popping up on the unsold domestic routes I'm looking at, but in my case a few days before departure. I'm seeing $69 Basic Economy fares, while the cheapest "normal" coach fare is still over $500. They have not loaded any award seats on these flights, which seems like algorithmic incompetence to me: why would you sell $69 fares and not 12,5000 mile award seats, when most of the folks redeeming those fares would get hit with high last-minute fees?

BTW, it's a shame I can't put a ticket bought less than 7 days in advance "on hold" on aa.com. If I buy it from a third part website, is it still refundable within 24 hours? The flights that have loaded are better, but not "perfect" for me: I'm trying to decide whether to "risk it" and hold out for better.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by iahphx
If I buy it from a third part website, is it still refundable within 24 hours? .
Yes, if you buy from an OTA that offers a 24 hour refund policy (Expedia, Orbitz, etc...), you get the 24 hour refund provision on an AA ticket sold inside 7 days.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
Yes, if you buy from an OTA that offers a 24 hour refund policy (Expedia, Orbitz, etc...), you get the 24 hour refund provision on an AA ticket sold inside 7 days.
Thanks. That's quite useful in my situation. I do have an AA gift card that I'd prefer to use but, in this situation, it would seem wise to save that and use an OTA.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
I just booked two award tickets today. I am a lifetime Plat. I needed to use the miles in my account for my ticket and we needed to book my wife using her miles plus 1500 from my account for this business class award. In the past they have booked these tickets in my account and pushed the miles from my wife (if needed). I have not done this in a while. Today I had to pay $42.00 to transfer 1500 miles to her account and the rep was more than happy to book the tickets charging me an additional $75.00 close in booking fee for her ticket. Is this the current policy? I know these things change all the time.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robertw477
I just booked two award tickets today. I am a lifetime Plat. I needed to use the miles in my account for my ticket and we needed to book my wife using her miles plus 1500 from my account for this business class award. In the past they have booked these tickets in my account and pushed the miles from my wife (if needed). I have not done this in a while. Today I had to pay $42.00 to transfer 1500 miles to her account and the rep was more than happy to book the tickets charging me an additional $75.00 close in booking fee for her ticket. Is this the current policy? I know these things change all the time.
Yep, both fees are correct, assuming your wife doesn't have any status and would be subject to the $75 close in fee.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by robertw477
I thought that was always the policy, unless they waived the fee to transfer miles as a courtesy. You could also just buy miles directly, https://buymiles.americanairlines.com/en/buygift (Also, if your wife was anticipating miles to post next month, sometimes AA lets your account go slightly negative. They did this for me once, but it was quite a long time ago.)
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yep, both fees are correct, assuming your wife doesn't have any status and would be subject to the $75 close in fee.

Thanks for the info. I guess these days they are figuring every possible way to generate revenue. Maybe in the past they just did it as a courtesy

Thanks
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:05 pm

How is AA on releasing SAAver awards for domestic itineraries? I'm looking at flights around Thanksgiving (I know, I know,...), and I'm very flexible on both departure and arrival airports, and don't have a problem with reasonable connections. Still, I haven't been able to find anything that works for me. I guess I'm wondering whether saver space tends to open daily or in batches or what? Just so that I know the best strategy for looking - and it's a lot of combinations to check due to married segments and my flexibility.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
One can't predict when saver awards will open. Use ExperFlyer award alerts. Don't be too surprised if you approach within 3 weeks of travel and have never seen saver awards.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
Because the AA award-search engine is <Scottish_accent>crrrrrap!</Scottish_accent>
Your obscure, early-90s SNL ref isn't lost on me...
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by klanfa
How is AA on releasing SAAver awards for domestic itineraries? I'm looking at flights around Thanksgiving (I know, I know,...), and I'm very flexible on both departure and arrival airports, and don't have a problem with reasonable connections. Still, I haven't been able to find anything that works for me. I guess I'm wondering whether saver space tends to open daily or in batches or what? Just so that I know the best strategy for looking - and it's a lot of combinations to check due to married segments and my flexibility.
Don't expect award flights on the most heavily booked days of the year (which I think includes the Wednesday before Thanksgiving).

If the flights actually operate then (some flights are cancelled that day), Thanksgiving Day itself may hold the best chance, because by then fewer people are traveling.

There's no pattern to how award seats get released, once you pass 11 months out (which was over half a year ago). Not that it's dependable even then, but that's the closest it seems to get to patterns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.